Way to go F11!
Like Tree82Likes

Thread: Way to go F11!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Way to go F11!

So looking around other forums and other parts of here as well I realized something. F11 is the least biased and least snobbish forum I have seen about watches. Some places people look down at you if you don't have the newest model or have the....my watch is more expensive than yours views. You get people fighting over things like VC vz Patek or Omega vs Rolex.

You post questions and they get ignored because....what you don't know that about the brand or model? Noob. Or they just think your watch is not good enough to warrant a response.

But here...sure some argue about marriage watches or originality. But by and large we all accept all vintage watches. We seek out learning and help those who don't know. We don't care if it is the best condition. We don't care if you are posting a watch that others would scoff at in those snob groups. We look at the watch as the watch is and help where we can.

By no means is this a group of watch hugging hippies wanting to just share the love. It is more of a group of watch enthusiasts who thirst for more knowledge and to preserve the past. To advocate for the preservation and promotion of the skilled watchmaking arts of the past watchmakers that is embodied in each piece.

No this is not me trying to brown nose or make up for something I did wrong. I was just thinking and wanted to share those thoughts.

Way to go F11!

Re: Way to go F11!

I agree 100%, and we are also well above median in terms of activity. However, I suspect that we are nevertheless the WUS ghetto. Since we don't buy new watches from authorized dealers and manufacturers, the advertisers are not interested in us. Hopefully WUS will find a way to monetize F11, because some of us spend a fair amount of money on this hobby.
    -- Dan (formerly known as @badbackdan)
    ------- @oldwatchdan on Instagram -------

Yes, I agree wholeheartedly, I love this place, it’s the reason my collection has a little of everything in it,

Matt

Brought to you by HYPNOTOAD
    thoth, bluestifford and kazrich like this.
    " I can't wear this uniform, without some compromises "
    Chesney Hawkes

"I larf, I Larf, I wee I pants, I make I leg go rusty."
    ​Me

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Have watchmakers advertise here. Parts supply houses....as few as they are. Online auction houses that deal in vintage watches.

I buy new watches from AD's......HA HA HA....sorry did not type that with a straight face. Yes most of us are bargain hunters but those bargains need service usually. We are like historians and archaeologists digging up the past and piecing history together. Dr Ranfft is a great example of this idea. His site is awesome for hunting down movement IDs and getting info we need.
    bluestifford, busmatt and kazrich like this.

Quote Originally Posted by thoth View Post
    Have watchmakers advertise here. Parts supply houses....as few as they are. Online auction houses that deal in vintage watches.

I buy new watches from AD's......HA HA HA....sorry did not type that with a straight face. Yes most of us are bargain hunters but those bargains need service usually. We are like historians and archaeologists digging up the past and piecing history together. Dr Ranfft is a great example of this idea. His site is awesome for hunting down movement IDs and getting info we need.
    A very brave vintage watch retailer could advertise here.

Quote Originally Posted by badbackdan View Post
    A very brave vintage watch retailer could advertise here.
    Hodinkee? Just kidding. You mean one that knows what they are selling and honestly presents them.
    busmatt likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by thoth View Post
    Hodinkee? Just kidding. You mean one that knows what they are selling and honestly presents them.
    And who has a thick skin and is willing to admit mistakes ... which we all make.
    thoth, busmatt and demonfinder like this.

Quote Originally Posted by busmatt View Post
    Yes, I agree wholeheartedly, I love this place, it’s the reason my collection has a little of everything in it,

Matt

Brought to you by HYPNOTOAD
    We all like variety here and appreciate different things. I have gone looking for things like the Tissot Camping and Aquasport because of here. I would not own an Atlantic if not for here.
    busmatt likes this.

Several members here have movement and brands knowledge that is not usually found in the other subforums. A lot of people know what's quality and that what is expensive means quality. A lot of us hunt on ebay or chrono24 and buying a modern watch doesn't mean buying a better watch than a vintage one. Also it is because of crown and caliber, hoodwinkee and other watch blogs that the prices of vintage watches exploded.
    thoth, busmatt and kazrich like this.

agree - folks have been very nice here... i was happy to contribute to the F11's collective when i posted my experience with a nice repair to a 1915 Waltham-made Ball pocket watch (a real treasure for me, as it was a gift from my 88-yr-old father-in-law [who is now living with us, and who also gifted me an almost pristine Seiko Pogue])

willie
    on the Gulf of Mexico

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information