Wearing a vintage watch in the water?
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Wearing a vintage watch in the water?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Wearing a vintage watch in the water?

So my question is, if you have had a vintage watch serviced with new seals and pressure tested is there a risk when wearing it in the water?

I would have thought that if the above had been done it would not be a problem however I always read people warning against doing this...

Any feedback?

Re: Wearing a vintage watch in the water?

I would not risk it with my vintage watches. If it's pressure tested, it might be ok -- but if you love the watch is it worth the risk to you? Perhaps you could get an inexpensive casio g-shock or similar for those times you are in the water (?) Cheers

If it was a vintage watch that was originally intended to be submerged and has been serviced and the sealing tested, then yes, you could wear it in water with some expectation that it may be OK. But why? Vintage watches are not like off-the-shelf modern watches which can be readily (if expensively) replaced if necessary.

For the majority of vintage watches, being non-dive watches, then no, I would not submerge any of them. Many had minimal (or no) water resistance when new. People had the sense in those days to look after their nice watches and take them off before swimming

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Sorry, I should have stated that most of my vintage watches are divers....

If a vintage watch has been shown to be watertight by testing, it is watertight. I have never understood the reluctance of owners to expose tested vintage watches to water. ... actually most of my vintage were acquired for far less than the cost of new watches nowadays. So if it is fear of loss of the watch, the new ones should logically be protected. But to me that seems strange logic.
    "Forever is composed of nows." - Emily Dickinson

"The watch has to be surrounded by a history.
    You need more than just a great design. You need to create an atmosphere around the product.
    Who is the company behind it? Why are they using this material?
    People need to be able to identify the watch with themselves. It's based on emotion." - Ralph Furter

...that's just my opinion and I've been wrong before and will be again and might be now!

Usually, the "waterproof" aspect is a function of the lubricated seal being pressed against the metal of the case. And the problem is that 50 year old metal usually isn't quite a smooth as it used to be. If it passed a pressure test, it's probably okay, but the consequences of being wrong are such that I'd wouldn't want to risk it, personally. At least, not if I cared for the watch.
    Habitant likes this.
    My growing collection of "affordable" vintages: http://www.abslomrob.com

I don't understand the logic of wanting to wear a watch into the water for ordinary swimming? Even if you are a diver, aren't their gauges that tell you when your oxygen tank is running low? When I am in the hot tub, swimming pool, the last thing on my mind is the time.
    Have Discovered Vintage Pocket Watches!

Its not just about the amount of oxygen. Deep diving especially, you have to be careful about how long you remain at a certain depth, and how fast you come back up.
    My growing collection of "affordable" vintages: http://www.abslomrob.com

Quote Originally Posted by bundtrock View Post
    I don't understand the logic of wanting to wear a watch into the water for ordinary swimming? Even if you are a diver, aren't their gauges that tell you when your oxygen tank is running low? When I am in the hot tub, swimming pool, the last thing on my mind is the time.
    I don't usually like leaving my watch laying on the beach when I am in the water. And, being a paleface, I NEED a watch when at the beach or at the pool.

I refer all questions on diving with watches to the Dive watches forum
    "Forever is composed of nows." - Emily Dickinson

"The watch has to be surrounded by a history.
    You need more than just a great design. You need to create an atmosphere around the product.
    Who is the company behind it? Why are they using this material?
    People need to be able to identify the watch with themselves. It's based on emotion." - Ralph Furter

...that's just my opinion and I've been wrong before and will be again and might be now!

Hi there,

water needs no watch, and a watch needs no water.

However, if I want to wear a watch in water, I care for watertightness, disregarding its age. This may mean any between new gaskets, refinishing gasket seats and impossible.

Regards, Roland Ranft

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information