Wedding band from watch bezel
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By mkws
  • 1 Post By mkws

Thread: Wedding band from watch bezel

Wedding band from watch bezel

Good morning -

I was hoping to find help identifying the watch my wedding band is made from. I bought my ring online with very little information about it, other than that I liked it's appearance. When I took my ring to a jeweler recently, she told me that she believed it was made from a pocket watch bezel.

I would love to be able to identify the watch and possibly give my fiancé a watch that matches my ring as a wedding gift.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Re: Wedding band from watch bezel

Sorry, but that would have to be the smallest "pocket watch" in the world if it fits on a finger!

I don't think you're getting correct info.
    https://mb.nawcc.org/threads/westfield-watch-company.109201/

A friend is truly a prize indeed, others not so much. So if I lead you believe you're in the latter, please read........
    http://markmanson.net/internet

It's been cut and resized twice - once when it was made and once more to fit me.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Gracielou View Post
    It's been cut and resized twice - once when it was made and once more to fit me.
    I kinda figured that it certainly would have had to been sized Gracielou. If it was/is solid gold it might be possible, but without finding any identifiable original makers marks, I doubt if anybody's going to be able to give you a positive identification. Maybe a "best guess" at best.
    https://mb.nawcc.org/threads/westfield-watch-company.109201/

A friend is truly a prize indeed, others not so much. So if I lead you believe you're in the latter, please read........
    http://markmanson.net/internet

It has no marks of any kind on the inside. It is white gold and yellow gold and has significant wear.

I don't know anything about watches, so I don't know what it would take to ID it. If anyone knows of a maker or watch that is close or has any information, I would be very interested though! Thanks.

Well, you're looking at almost any watch with a "coin edge" pattern on the case.

What it takes to identify a watch are: movement, dial, and the case, but the latter only applies if there are markings- and they're usually on the case back. None of these things is here, so I'm sorry, but your question, although interesting, is impossible to answer.

But there is some sort of a compromise solution that I can suggest, so that you can hunt for a more or less matching watch for your fiance.

If you simply want the pattern to match, you can look at vintage American pocket watches, some of them had coin edge cases. Waltham, Elgin, Illinois, Hampden, Hamilton... The choice is quite large. If you find something that catches your eye, and you'd want to have authenticity verified before you buy, you can always ask for help in this forum, there are experts on watches from about every niche in vintage watch collecting in here.

There is yet another solution: a contemporary watch. Breguet makes watches with coin edge pattern around the case, but they cost something like $15K on the grey market. So the price verifies it as a viable option, or quite on the contrary.

As a vintage watch aficionado, I'd advise to go vintage- high quality for little money. Plus, the vintage stuff has that inexplicable charm to it.

Anyway, whatever you decide upon, good luck!
    I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it.
    Edgar Allan Poe

If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.
    George Orwell

(...)but that's what mankind is like: they only prize what they no longer possess.
    Erich Maria Remarque

For any inquiries regarding vintage Doxa watches, please read the highlighted text in my vintage Doxa thread. Sorry, but I will not respond to PMs on the matter.

Thank you! That is very helpful. Are there any watch-specific names for the patterns, other than the obvious hearts, flowers etc. that I might search for?

I'd suggest to stick with the coin edge around the case, but that's just me. In pocket watches, there is going to be some engraving on the back and/or the front lid (should it be a hunter/savonette configuration, where the front cover is opened by a button in order to reveal the dial- that cover was intended to protect the crystal during, as the name of that type of pocket watch suggests, hunting).
    A floral motif on watches... Well, in case of wristwatches, it isn't something usual, unless we're talking of "tank" (rectangular) watches from the interwar period. Some had that alright- I'm aware of the existence of Bulova watches with quite a lot of engravings, but I'm not that much into this brand, not enough to name a specific model. But some folks here surely can.

It would be most helpful if you could define, how exactly do you want the watch to match the ring. The pattern of engravings? The case colour? Because there's a number of ways in which the watch and the ring can be "related".

Colour-wise, a goldcap case (for example in Omega watches- steel case, gold bezel, gold lugs/ lugs plated only on the top surface) would do the trick, but since I mention Omega as an example, I cannot recommend that with a clear conscience- vintage Omega watches are probably the worst minefield that there is... Frankens, fakes, and everything in between. And that you wouldn't want.

Rolex made (and still makes) two-tone cases alright, and for example the two-tone Datejust with a fluted bezel (not coin edge, but the similarity between the patterns and the colour scheme of that Datejust seem to fit the ring as well, as far as my sense of aesthetics goes) would do the trick as well. But then again, I don't know the budget, so my suggestions are pretty much a long shot. Here, the prices of new specimens and vintage ones are similar, since Rolexes tend to be almost a long-term investment due to keeping their value over years.
    I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it.
    Edgar Allan Poe

If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.
    George Orwell

(...)but that's what mankind is like: they only prize what they no longer possess.
    Erich Maria Remarque

For any inquiries regarding vintage Doxa watches, please read the highlighted text in my vintage Doxa thread. Sorry, but I will not respond to PMs on the matter.

Thread Information