Welcome to my newest Aquisitions

Thread: Welcome to my newest Aquisitions

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Welcome to my newest Aquisitions

Good evening all,

These are 5 of my newest aquisitions for my repair box. LOL

first up is a manual wind waltham (with "france" on the movement) nice blure face as well. Unfortunately not working but i knew this when i bought it. Has "238" Under the balance wheel

Next up is another waltham (these are my first 2 walthams) i just love the filligree? engraving on the movement. Also not working.

Next one is an old helbros (swiss made) not sure the age. Also not working.

Movement is an HXW. Please excuse the blurry pic.

Next up are 2 Helbros (west german made) autowind. the cushion case works the other doesn't. I can't figure out how to get into the case can anyone give me some ideas?

And this is the back of the round one.

My apologies for the really long thread but i had to share.

the 3 watches i could get the backs open all seem to have the same problem. The balance wheels do not turn at all. I haven't played around with them yet to find out. Can anyone offer some ideas as to why this might happen?

The cushion case Helbros works great and keeps great time (so far). Only draw back is it doesn't have the quick set feature for the day/date.

I'll say this also, when i buy a watch i buy ones that are not working or need restoration as I find this one of the best parts of owning vintage watches. Not only are they cheaper they normally just need a service.

Have a great day and don't take life seriously.

Re: Welcome to my newest Aquisitions

Very nice. The top Waltham movement looks like a France Ebauche 233. See

http://www.christophlorenz.de/watch/...index.php?l=en

but it may be marked as a Cupillard

http://www.ranfft.de/cgi-bin/bidfun-...pillard_233_60

then again I could be wrong.
    Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects."

Will Rogers (1879 - 1935)

Please don't PM me to ask for a valuation - I won't attempt one.

On the Helbros (never heard of it )
    If it is a monocase:
    remove the glass, lift the movement a little to see what kind of conection is made in the winding stem and pull the stem out with 2 levers / or turn the stem so the 2 pieces slide apart when the watch is turned over...
    Nice collection by the way!!!

regards,
    RJ van Melle.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

The second Waltham has a model 1891 0 size movement, 7 jewel Seaside grade produced somewhere around 1898. This information is for the movement only though.
    Erik_H
    Member NAWCC Chapter 149

"The balance wheels do not turn at all. I haven't played around with them yet to find out. Can anyone offer some ideas as to why this might happen?"

If you buy watches that have lain for years then you'll come across this a lot.

The oil has dried and effectively 'glued' the balance in its pivots. This old oil can be
    removed by soaking parts in Naptha and carefully cleaning with pith and pegwood.
    Lighter fluid does the trick.

I suggest you read a good book such as 'Practical Watch Repairing' by Donald De Carle where techniques for the hand cleaning of watchparts is clearly explained.

Zenith Forum Co-moderator

The "HXW" calibre is actually an FHF movement, something from the 150 series. here is an example with an adaptation to an indirect central second hand:

http://www.ranfft.de/cgi-bin/bidfun-...uswk&FHF_150_1

The HXW is actually the US import code for Helbros:

http://www.ranfft.de/uhr/info-uscode.html

Hartmut Richter

The first "Waltham" is a import marketed by a company created after the collapse of the original Waltham (or possibly by the company that bought that company...not sure). I'm still trying to figure out when they started using the red "W".

The second "Waltham" is from 1898, but the case looks more 30's, and the dial looks heavily (and badly) redone.
    My growing collection of "affordable" vintages: http://www.abslomrob.com

Quote Originally Posted by AbslomRob View Post
    The first "Waltham" is a import marketed by a company created after the collapse of the original Waltham (or possibly by the company that bought that company...not sure). I'm still trying to figure out when they started using the red "W".

The second "Waltham" is from 1898, but the case looks more 30's, and the dial looks heavily (and badly) redone.

Thanks Rob. I figured the 1st waltham was something made in the 60's to 70's after the company collapsed. And it has "France" everywhere so most likely it was made in france. lol

2nd waltham have had a look at the dial carefully and it looks original. All designs are in applied gold and has a heavy patina all over. If it was redialed it would have been done 50 + years ago.

Thanks for all the input folks

I'll be the first to admit that my experience isn't all that great, but the whole style of that second waltham is ... odd. The dial looks similar in design to this (rather ugly) one from the mid 30's, but note how on this one, the curve of the outer chapter ring matches the curve of the bezel. Also note the serif font (not sure how obvious that is), vs the font on yours. Plus, I've never seen an original Waltham dial that didn't have the sub-second sunk. It <might> have started its life as a dial for a women's watch (with no second hand) and been modified to support the sub-second by some enterprising chap. Check the back of the dial to see if it looks like the sub-second hole was a recent addition, and if there's any marks that would suggest that there used to be a 6 there.
    Attached Images Attached Images

My growing collection of "affordable" vintages: http://www.abslomrob.com

Quote Originally Posted by AbslomRob View Post
    I'll be the first to admit that my experience isn't all that great, but the whole style of that second waltham is ... odd. The dial looks similar in design to this (rather ugly) one from the mid 30's, but note how on this one, the curve of the outer chapter ring matches the curve of the bezel. Also note the serif font (not sure how obvious that is), vs the font on yours. Plus, I've never seen an original Waltham dial that didn't have the sub-second sunk. It <might> have started its life as a dial for a women's watch (with no second hand) and been modified to support the sub-second by some enterprising chap. Check the back of the dial to see if it looks like the sub-second hole was a recent addition, and if there's any marks that would suggest that there used to be a 6 there.
    Hi Rob, I have taken the dial off and had a good look. It does look like the sub-second dial has been added at some later stage of it life. The Dial is made from brass and the small hole is still shiny. As you can see from the pic of the front the fancy design is intersected by the subsecond dial and they don't normally do this. I don't think it started life as a womans watch as it is just way to big for the style of the day. The case has stamped in the back Illinois Watch Co. (i.w.c) and spartan. I have no idea what all this means? Maybe it started life as a pocket watch? the movement is approx 27.5mm in diameter and the case is 37mm lug to lug. So maybe the movement came out of a womans pocket watch and recased? Would this make it a franken? or a custom? Any more infor would be greatly appreciated.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information