Well used Favre-Leuba Zenith

Thread: Well used Favre-Leuba Zenith

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Well used Favre-Leuba Zenith

Came across this today and had to have it. The shopkeeper selling had just serviced the movement and been wearing it for the last few days to check out the timekeeping - which was and is good.
    We think the original strap, which is the softest leather imaginable and it wears really well.

Original untouched dial shows some lume loss on the numerals and from the hands - a few scratches on the glass, which may polish out.

Solid Britannia Silver hinged case with an unhinged case back plus an additional inner hinged dust cover. The hinged dust cover, case back and body each carry a matching serial number.

Nice signed Zenith movement and the serial number would indicate (if my memory serves me right for Zenith is about 1916-18 maybe).

Looks pretty good on the wrist too - and I'm very pleased. I think maybe the crown has been changed at some point in it's 90 odd years - could have been an onion style - but difficult to tell.
    Last edited by boswell; May 21st, 2010 at 14:47.

Re: Well used Favre-Leuba Zenith

Lovely old watch...thanks for posting

That's terrific. It was probably sold in India or Burma originally. See Hartmut's post in this thread:

https://forums.watchuseek.com/showthread.php?t=225227

Well bought.
    Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects."

Will Rogers (1879 - 1935)

Please don't PM me to ask for a valuation - I won't attempt one.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

That's a lovely old Zenith in the military style.
    Cal 13-2-T, I recently acquired an old wristwatch with
    this exact same movement and am very impressed with its quality
    and performance.

Mine also was fitted with a modern crown but I replaced that for a
    period crown and renewed the stem tube while servicing.
    I'll post some pics in the morn.

Quote Originally Posted by radger View Post
    That's a lovely old Zenith in the military style.
    Cal 13-2-T, I recently acquired an old wristwatch with
    this exact same movement and am very impressed with its quality
    and performance.

Mine also was fitted with a modern crown but I replaced that for a
    period crown and renewed the stem tube while servicing.
    I'll post some pics in the morn.
    I'd be interested to see the pics radger. I wasn't sure of the Cal number so thanks for that. I've been wearing it for a couple of days now and love it and I may change the crown as you are doing.

Zenith Forum Co-moderator

It need not be a Cal. 13-2-T. The exact specification depends on the exact size of the movement. The 13 refers to a movement diameter of 13''', i.e. 30mm. If yours is more or less, it will have a different movement. Measure it out and I'll tell you what you have.

2.2 million for the serial number does indeed refer to about the time you stated - I'd go with something slightly later, around 1918-1920.

Hartmut Richter

Quote Originally Posted by Hartmut Richter View Post
    It need not be a Cal. 13-2-T. The exact specification depends on the exact size of the movement. The 13 refers to a movement diameter of 13''', i.e. 30mm. If yours is more or less, it will have a different movement. Measure it out and I'll tell you what you have.

2.2 million for the serial number does indeed refer to about the time you stated - I'd go with something slightly later, around 1918-1920.

Hartmut Richter
    Thanks for the date info Hartmund - the movement measure at 28mm diameter.

Zenith Forum Co-moderator

Zenith gives 27.25mm for the Cal. 12''' N.V.S.I (also known as 12-2 in the savonette version) and 29.58mm for the Cal. 13''' N.V.S.I (13-2-T as savonette). I'd say you're closer to the 12''' version. They are practically identical except for the size.

I should also add that the 13''' version is generally known as the 13-2 in the savonette version. The suffix "-T" is generally reserved at Zenith for later calibre versions with a mobile stud holder.

Hartmut Richter
    Last edited by Hartmut Richter; May 21st, 2010 at 22:07. Reason: Additional info

Quote Originally Posted by Hartmut Richter View Post
    Zenith gives 27.25mm for the Cal. 12''' N.V.S.I (also known as 12-2 in the savonette version) and 29.58mm for the Cal. 13''' N.V.S.I (13-2-T as savonette). I'd say you're closer to the 12''' version. They are practically identical except for the size.

I should also add that the 13''' version is generally known as the 13-2 in the savonette version. The suffix "-T" is generally reserved at Zenith for later calibre versions with a mobile stud holder.

Hartmut Richter
    Many many thanks for the info Hartmut - I re-measured it more carefully and your are correct - more like 27 and a bit! So a Cal. 12 N.V.S.I (?)

Hi boswell,
    I changed the crown on my watch to the one you see in
    the pics. It would be very unusual to find a watch of this age with
    an original crown and when you do then they are usualy very worn.

Fitting an old period crown on a watch of this type isn't always so straightforward,
    I selected a suitable crown from old, used stock and had to machine a stem tube
    to suit, the stem tube has to be fitted to the case and allows a nice sliding fit to
    the internal and external diameters of the chosen crown. Stem tubes in old watches
    are often well worn, when I received my watch the case had lost its stem tube and
    was fitted with a modern crown and as I had to make a stem tube it was an easy
    option to machine it to suit an appropriate crown.

I'll eat my hat if your watch has a 27mm movement and I'll bet you measured your
    movement across the back, the movement should be measured across the dial plate
    which is hidden under the Bezel and dial...it will be about 3mm larger than a
    measurment taken across the back.

The caliber designation on my watch is stamped
    under the balance rim towards the edge,13-2-T, take a magnifying glass and look in this area and see if the cal no is there.

Hartmut, what do you mean by a 'mobile stud holder'? If you mean what I think you
    mean then my watch doesn't have one yet it's definately stamped 13-2-T.

Three piece silver case with Swiss import marks. The bezel and back are screw on.
    The movement screws are a bit 'chewed' and need some work.

The style of the watch would suggest 1920's.

Last edited by radger; May 22nd, 2010 at 10:19.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information