west end question

Thread: west end question

west end question

a simple question, does anybody know whether west end has supplied cases to other manufacturers at some point in its history? or they never, thanks for any comments

Re: west end question

I don't know the answer - but I think its unlikely that West End made their own cases. Very few brands did that. But West End did export some watches to India that contained Longines movements in WE cases with WE dials. This thread has some information:

https://forums.watchuseek.com/f11/wes...ma-152297.html
    Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects."

Will Rogers (1879 - 1935)

Please don't PM me to ask for a valuation - I won't attempt one.

From: Vintage Watch Straps - straps and bands for vintage fixed wire lug military trench or officers World War One era wristwatches

In 1934 two events occurred that had a significant effect on the subsequent history of the company. Georges Braunschweig of La Chaux-de-Fonds offered the company the Incabloc shock resisting system for protecting the balance staff from breakage, and Taubert offered them the cases with decagonal screwed backs and cork sealing in the winding stems, which "he" (probably Bernard) guaranteed 100% waterproof.

The extracts reproduced here are from the memoirs of M. Fox, who was the managing director of the West End Watch company from 1916 to 1973, which were supplied to me by M. Jrme Monnat, the CEO of West End Watch Co. These extracts discuss the development and introduction of the Sowar Prima, shockproof thanks to the Incabloc system and waterproof thanks to Taubert's cases. Sowar means warrior in Hindustani, Afghan (Aziz) and Persian (Sadeghi). The Sowar Prima became West End's most successful model.

The West End Watch Co became thus the first company to use the Incabloc shock resisting system in their watches, and they used Taubert's waterproof watch case with the cork stem sealing and decagonal back from 1934 until 1954, when Taubert were no longer able to keep up with West End's demand, which by then had risen to more than 2,000 case per month. The Taubert patents for the cork seal and decagonal screw back case having long since expired, West End asked Donz to copy Taubert's cases which, after some hesitation, they manage to do, complete with cork sealing and decagonal screwed case back. M. Fox remarks "We are saved."

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

I don't know the answer, either, but I think West End in the past has USED cases made elsewhere, and so perhaps they share a supplier with others.

Quote Originally Posted by Pacriman View Post
    I don't know the answer, either, but I think West End in the past has USED cases made elsewhere, and so perhaps they share a supplier with others.
    I'm not sure why you didn't read Trim's answer, which shows that West End used case from the case makers Taubert & Fils and Donz, amongst others.

Regards - David

Thread Information