West End Sowar - Is this genuine, if yes, year of manufacture please!!!
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: West End Sowar - Is this genuine, if yes, year of manufacture please!!!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

West End Sowar - Is this genuine, if yes, year of manufacture please!!!

HI All,
    I am attaching a west end watch sowar pic. I was able to open it and take some pics of the movement too. Its a winding movement. The pic that i took of the dial is not that clear and I also forget to take the pic of the crown. I can post both a clear pic of dial and crown also if requested.

Experts, please tell me the year of manufacture, and if this is original, what is its valuation ???
    Would also like to know if the braclet came original with the watch or is it aftermarket. The bracelet do not have any name of logo printed on it.

And one more question( i know i m being very demanding :)) . IS this is gents watch ?? I am asking this because it look very small on my average size wrist.

Name:  DSC_0427.JPG
Views: 1577
Size:  179.6 KBName:  DSC_0428.JPG
Views: 905
Size:  235.9 KBName:  DSC_0434.JPG
Views: 727
Size:  164.6 KBName:  DSC_0436.JPG
Views: 716
Size:  80.1 KBName:  DSC_0437.JPG
Views: 951
Size:  227.7 KBName:  Copy of DSC_0427.JPG
Views: 715
Size:  53.8 KBName:  Copy of DSC_0434.JPG
Views: 692
Size:  49.1 KB

Re: West End Sowar - Is this genuine, if yes, year of manufacture please!!!

Hi!

For me, everything looks original. The movement already has an Incabloc shock protection, having been used by the WEWC since 1938, so it´s made 1938 or later, IMHO from the 1940s.
    ashar_amu likes this.
    Best regards, Mike

Thanks Mike.
    Any idea who made these movements for west end. Did WEWC made their own.
    Also, the dial and the watch itself is in pretty good shape for that long period. I think i am lucky to get this watch. I bought this from ebay.

Thanks again.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

It does look rather small from the pictures. Of course, watches back then were considerably smaller than now - but I would say if its less than 28mm across it might have been a ladies' or boy's watch.

The case has a Borgel trademark (FB and a key), indicating high quality water protection. The bracelet is likely an aftermarket one. It looks like a Bonklip type - but if its not got their trademark on it it will be an imitator.

Sorry, we don't attempt valuations in this forum.
    ashar_amu likes this.
    Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects."

Will Rogers (1879 - 1935)

Please don't PM me to ask for a valuation - I won't attempt one.

Vint. Forum Co-Moderator Mirius's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Marrick View Post
    It does look rather small from the pictures.

The case has a Borgel trademark (FB and a key), indicating high quality water protection.
    That would be one of the Taubert & Fils cases, and would be a mans watch. These cases were very popular and used by a number of manufacturers who didn't have their own waterproof cases. A word of warning on these is that the stem seal is cork and on an old watch like this is likely to be now ineffective so be very careful around water!
    ashar_amu likes this.

It does look rather small from the pictures. Of course, watches back then were considerably smaller than now - but I would say if its less than 28mm across it might have been a ladies' or boy's watch.

The case has a Borgel trademark (FB and a key), indicating high quality water protection. The bracelet is likely an aftermarket one. It looks like a Bonklip type - but if its not got their trademark on it it will be an imitator.

Sorry, we don't attempt valuations in this forum.
    Thank you. This is a rather useful information for me.
    I measured the watch diameter across. Its exactly 28mm without crown, and 32 mm with crown. From LUG to LUG, its 38mm. So I can safely assume its men's watch :)
    Yeah, the bracelet do not have any trademark, but its going well with watch. The best part is, its totally free size.

And yeah, I am really amazed how a watch this old is in this good condition :)

Quote Originally Posted by Mirius View Post
    That would be one of the Taubert & Fils cases, and would be a mans watch. These cases were very popular and used by a number of manufacturers who didn't have their own waterproof cases. A word of warning on these is that the stem seal is cork and on an old watch like this is likely to be now ineffective so be very careful around water!
    Thank you. Now I can wear this watch with more confidence, knowing that its a men's watch.
    I have some Hugo BOSS and Tommy watches, and they are really too big as compared to this thing. So, at first I was feeling rather awkward wearing this. But now, with all this info, I can wear it with pride.
    And yes, I will try my best to keep this away from water :)

Quote Originally Posted by ashar_amu View Post
    Yeah, the bracelet do not have any trademark, but its going well with watch. The best part is, its totally free size.
    Yes, a fantastic design intended to let aircrew fit the watch around the wrist as normal or over the top of a flying jacket sleeve. An interesting piece here: http://www.freewebs.com/billyschorr/...%20%5B1%5D.pdf and also see this thread https://forums.watchuseek.com/f11/bon...rs-432940.html

It is nice to see your watch in good, original, condition. Many have had inappropriate redials.
    ashar_amu likes this.

Yes, a fantastic design intended to let aircrew fit the watch around the wrist as normal or over the top of a flying jacket sleeve. An interesting piece here: http://www.freewebs.com/billyschorr/...%20%5B1%5D.pdf and also see this thread https://forums.watchuseek.com/f11/bon...rs-432940.html

It is nice to see your watch in good, original, condition. Many have had inappropriate redials.
    Thanks for providing the link for bonklips. This indeed looks an imitator for bonklip :)
    Here is one more link that I found around vintage watches, more specifically around Borgel cased Watches
    The history of François Borgel, Louisa Borgel and the Taubert family - watch case makers of Geneva, Switzerland

Yes -the site owner, David Boettcher, is a regular and valued contributor here.
    ashar_amu likes this.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information