west end watch - competition, help id please

Thread: west end watch - competition, help id please

west end watch - competition, help id please

hello!

this is my first post in this forum and there looks to be some amazing experts here. Apologies for my spacing, my tablet isn't letting me add lines right now..... I live in Singapore and just found an interesting shop this week which Carries a lot of vintage watches. after seeing some posts here, I picked up a west end watch Co piece ”competition”. I have searched around but only seen ”competition” on some wewc pocketwatches. can you please helpme to identify this watch or at least the year made? I would like tobe able to check out some research on my own but I'm struggling to find any guides, serial number listings, etc. is west end watch Co helpful in dating or providing info to their vintage watches? this is an interesting watch for me since the dial is inverted. please note that I'm a complete newbie to watches but am enjoying the research the. the numbers on the back are 3361 4059.

Re: west end watch - competition, help id please

here are the pics.

Name:  IMG_20120402_100806.jpg
Views: 982
Size:  189.2 KB
    Name:  IMG_20120402_100612.jpg
Views: 907
Size:  178.7 KB

Name:  IMG_20120402_100515.jpg
Views: 930
Size:  112.9 KB
    Attached Images Attached Images

Hi and welcome.

It looks like the movement is a Unitas bidfun-db Archive: Watch Movements: Unitas 6497-1 or bidfun-db Archive: Watch Movements: Unitas 6498-1

It was made to go into a pocket watch case sometime after 1950. Either the original case has had wire lugs soldered on and the crown/bow arrangement altered to make it into a wristwatch, or (more likely I think) the movement has been put into a new modern case. These movements, and clones of them, are nowadays used in wristwatches as the average size of wristwatches is much bigger than in the past.

You will find a lot about West End in this forum if you use the search function. Its main market was India.
    Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects."

Will Rogers (1879 - 1935)

Please don't PM me to ask for a valuation - I won't attempt one.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Marrick View Post
    Hi and welcome.

It looks like the movement is a Unitas bidfun-db Archive: Watch Movements: Unitas 6497-1 or bidfun-db Archive: Watch Movements: Unitas 6498-1

It was made to go into a pocket watch case sometime after 1950. Either the original case has had wire lugs soldered on and the crown/bow arrangement altered to make it into a wristwatch, or (more likely I think) the movement has been put into a new modern case. These movements, and clones of them, are nowadays used in wristwatches as the average size of wristwatches is much bigger than in the past.

You will find a lot about West End in this forum if you use the search function. Its main market was India.

Yes, I remember seeing 6497 in an under part on the movement when I had opened it up.

Amazing, your first thought was correct! It was originally a pocket watch, someone had soldered wire lugs on... and the crown looks slightly newer than the rest of the watch! This is obviously why the face looks inverted... Ha, well this definitely gives it some points to talk about... Still works fine with a 60+ year old movement.

Name:  424988d1284671349t-watch-do-you-own-img_0004.jpg
Views: 1110
Size:  94.7 KB

Zenith Forum Co-moderator

I have to point out that, as Marrick said, the movement was added to the watch sometime after 1950. I.e. it could be anything between 0 and 60 years old (the movement is still made today). On the whole, it will therefore pass as a "Frankenwatch". If you like it, this should not deter you from wearing it - it simply has rather limited collectors' value.

Hartmut Richter

Quote Originally Posted by Hartmut Richter View Post
    I have to point out that, as Marrick said, the movement was added to the watch sometime after 1950. I.e. it could be anything between 0 and 60 years old (the movement is still made today). On the whole, it will therefore pass as a "Frankenwatch". If you like it, this should not deter you from wearing it - it simply has rather limited collectors' value.

Hartmut Richter
    Thank you Hartmut. my question would then become trying to date the dial/case but this would seem to be quite difficult or near impossible. As above though, it sounds possible this was the original case and movement but just had the lugs soldered on and the crown modified.

You're right though, this will not stop me from wearing the watch as I bought it because I thought it looked interesting.

I believe it's possible this to be the original movement and case because the movement does have the W circle stamp I have seen on other West end watch Co movements. Is it not possible that West end used the movements from unitas when they produced the original watch? The movement looks identical to some other West end watch Co vintage movements I have seen.

That and also because I can see the solder on the wire lugs :) the inverted case is fully explained by this being the original pocket watch and movement but with added lugs.

Zenith Forum Co-moderator

Yes, it does look very much like a pocket watch conversion. Especially as the dial is "lop sided" for a wrist watch. It is quite possible that the watch originally had some Unitas movement but probably not the 6497 - the case and dial look rather pre WWII (and possibly even pre WWI) when that movement was not yet in existence.

Hartmut Richter

Thread Information