West End Watch - Matchless

Thread: West End Watch - Matchless

West End Watch - Matchless

Hi all,

I inherited this watch from my father recently. It was actually his dad's watch, and was purchased in India during the days of the Raj (my family were tea planters in Assam). No idea how old it really is.

The watch is working and winds smoothly, although I haven't checked how well it keeps time. As you can see, the lugs are very distorted.

My question, does anyone know anything about this watch - date of manufacture etc. Is it worth anything? And would the lugs be easy to get fixed.

Cheers
    Attached Images Attached Images

Re: West End Watch - Matchless

Thanks for posting.
    Here's a recent thread on West End. I don't know much more than that about the company.
    http://forums2.watchuseek.com/Vintag...ead152297.html
    Yours looks like a 1920s/early 30s model. We'd need to see a picture of the movement to attempt to tell any more.
    We don't do valuations in this forum. Please read our sticky notes for reasons why.

There are fathers who do not love their children; there is no grandfather who does not adore his grandson. ~ Victor Hugo

Quote Originally Posted by Ray MacDonald View Post
    Thanks for posting.
    Here's a recent thread on West End. I don't know much more than that about the company.
    http://forums2.watchuseek.com/Vintag...ead152297.html
    Yours looks like a 1920s/early 30s model. We'd need to see a picture of the movement to attempt to tell any more.
    We don't do valuations in this forum. Please read our sticky notes for reasons why.
    I'd agree 1920's. The Matchless name was also used on pocket watches:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...m=320247713939

The watch does not have a high market value - but it is very interesting - especially as you know something about its provenance and its connection to your family. I would think a decent watchmaker could sort the lugs out for a few pounds. West End were always good quality, rugged, watches and, IMHO, well worth keeping in the family.

I couldn't see your picture too well so I lightened it:
    Attached Images Attached Images

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Thanks for the replies. Interesting reading about the company in the thread referenced.

I will get the lugs sorted for sure and get it serviced, it's staying in the family and I'll wear it on occasion.

Thumbs Up Re: West End Watch - Matchless

Quote Originally Posted by Marrick View Post
    I'd agree 1920's. The Matchless name was also used on pocket watches:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...m=320247713939

The watch does not have a high market value - but it is very interesting - especially as you know something about its provenance and its connection to your family. I would think a decent watchmaker could sort the lugs out for a few pounds. West End were always good quality, rugged, watches and, IMHO, well worth keeping in the family.

I couldn't see your picture too well so I lightened it:
    Hi everyone,
    I've previously posted a reply about west-end watches.
    I'm collecting early examples from this brand and I must tell you that I find yours a really beauty!!
    It dates from the early 30s and has probably a inner case with the CS(I) initials meaning that it was issued for the Indian Civil Service.
    From my knowledge, these are high quality Swiss movements (sometimes Longines) and you should keep yours with good maintenance and service for it will for sure give you many years still of great time keeping!!
    Attention!!
    Non english speaker.

Thread Information