What is this?
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By ajherman

Thread: What is this?

What is this?

Hey everyone, I'm new here and have been getting into watches over the last few months. I've recently purchased what was listed as a Gruen Autowind Digital watch off of Ebay from a respectable seller for just under $100. I haven't found any information on the forums or anywhere else on this watch and I'm trying to figure out what exactly I have. There's nothing stamped on the case back to help identification. Doing a little research I've learned that Gruen closed in 1975 so I assume my watch was made in one the company's last years unless that name was bought by another company that kept making watches under the name. If anyone has any information on this watch please help me out. And I'm waiting on a better case back opener so I can see the movement, it's pretty stuck in.

(pictures from ebay listing)
    Thanks!
    Shum likes this.

Zenith Forum Co-moderator

Re: What is this?

Welcome to the Vintage Forum. It is a typical 1970s digital watch, trying to compete with the new LED display digital quartz watches that were just up and coming around that time. The lack of jewel count leads me to think that it probably has a pin lever movement, at the same time, it seems to be automatic and West German and there were no pin lever automatics with digital display that I know of around that time. Other than the fact that the hands have been replaced by revolving disks under the dial, it is not really any different to a "normal" mechanical watch movement - but it looks special so it can be sold for more.

Hartmut Richter

Inside there should be a 17 jewel PUW 1560D movement.
    Last edited by Shum; October 15th, 2014 at 23:59.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Thanks for the information! I've found the same model but in gold and it is listed as having a SWISS AEGLER GRUEN 17 JEWELS AUTOMATIC WINDING MOVEMENT CAL. 550 SS CD. Another detail that I left out is that it is an automatic and a jump hour. I do know that they were also sold as Walthams looking slightly different. Just a little perplexing how little I know about the watch I now love.

I doubt that as a 550SS CD movement would have day/date as well as not being made for digital wheels and I don't think there is a CD version of that movement. The 550SS is a Felsa 1560 (Swiss) movement so they must have confused that with the PUW 1560D (German) movement.

I think when you open it up it will say 456D on the rotor and that should be Gruens name for the PUW 1560D but I'm not sure about this.
    Last edited by Shum; October 16th, 2014 at 01:03.

Thread Information