What is it??

Thread: What is it??

What is it??

So I have this old watch. I remember playing with it as a kid; pressing a side button would illuminate the time in red digits hidden behind the dark glass.
    On the back it say "oris cal. 765, swiss case, oris watch company, stainless steel back."
    I think it's just some cheap liitle thing from the start of the digital age, but am curious to what it actually is for sentimental reasons.

I would appreciate the forum's insight.

Banned

Re: What is it??

Without a pic it is not easy, but it seems you have a LED early 70 watch. Oris was and is a quality maker of fine watches.
    I believe!
    BTW, welcome to WUS, the watch site where insanity rules!

Thanks for the quick reply.
    The watch is severely scratched and no longer has it's band.

I have found a watch online that looks the same in all aspects:
    http://www.ioffer.com/i/RARE-VINTAGE...D-RUN-15106026.

Did Oris realy make this watch, or is it just some $5.00 thing with Oris written on it?

I'm just being curious.

Also, thanks for making me feel welcome.

My daily is a Breitling Aerospace that's been on my wrist day and night for the last 16 years. Still love it a lot.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Mod. Russian, China Mech. Chascomm's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by kriskringle View Post
    Did Oris realy make this watch, or is it just some $5.00 thing with Oris written on it?
    No and no. Oris would not have had the resources for this so it would have been OEMed for them, and no it was not cheap. These early LED watches were very expensive as the Swiss manufacturers had to invest heavily in new tooling and regarded the chronometer-like accuracy of quartz to be inherently deserving of a price premium. Meanwhile in the USA, semiconductor companies started pumping them out as cheaply as possible launching a price war that was 'won' by Texas Instruments with the world's first sub-$10 quartz watch. I said 'won' in quotes because the price war rapidly killed all the US players including TE. Then the Japanese swept in with multifunction LCD watches and you know the rest...

Thanks for the info!

Going to try to polish it up and put a new band on it.

Will posts results when ready.

Hi I can confirm this is indeed a mid 70s early 80s LCD Oris watch watch my Farther bought me one for my 18th birthday 1980.I am currently in the process of trying to get it repaired.I think the original price was around £50 which was considerable in 1980.

Thread Information