What about NOS? - Page 2
Like Tree11Likes

Thread: What about NOS?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Re: What about NOS?

The Oris and Fortis watches you have posted appear to have the typical poorly printed dials found on Mumbai-specials, (which can also be sourced via the UK these days). They will often have the FHF/ST 96 movements.

Those Elida watches could well be NOS, particularly the gold coloured one (those plated striated cases shows any scratches very readily). Watches such as this are often found in NOS (or at least extremely good) condition as they were too unusual/ugly to sell in their day They were cheapish watches in their time and any value they now have is from their novelty allied with the often good condition. They are not necessarily desirable for their intrinsic qualities. The gold example at least appears to state "17 Jewels" on the dial and so may well have a 17 jewel movement. The other one with just the "21" on the dial may well have a 1 jewel pin lever movement. Whether they are truly NOS or not it doesn't sound like they have any recent service history and so would require a service to be factored into the overall price. That can make an otherwise cheap novelty not quite so attractive.
    Last edited by Gumby992; December 22nd, 2017 at 11:14.
    badbackdan and Kru Chris like this.

Yes the Fortis and Roamer watches shown are fantasy pieces, from the mind of an Indian (probably) dial painter, in short they are fakes.
    Kru Chris likes this.

Thanks for the positive post. In the mean time, I contacted a collector friend in Switzerland. He visited an owner's storage - and there were THOUSANDS ov NOS watches. He gave me the link to a Swiss website where one can buy 8 or 10 at a time for like 29 CHF / SFR or $. Mechanical movements, just simple ones, forgot the name of the ebauchee, EB 90?

my #1 criteria for a watch is that it should LAST long. Accuracy? +/- 1 minute would be no big deal.
    Chronopolis likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Gumby992 View Post
    The Oris and Fortis watches you have posted appear to have the typical poorly printed dials found on Mumbai-specials, (which can also be sourced via the UK these days). They will often have the FHF/ST 96 movements.

Those Elida watches could well be NOS, particularly the gold coloured one (those plated striated cases shows any scratches very readily). Watches such as this are often found in NOS (or at least extremely good) condition as they were too unusual/ugly to sell in their day They were cheapish watches in their time and any value they now have is from their novelty allied with the often good condition. They are not necessarily desirable for their intrinsic qualities. The gold example at least appears to state "17 Jewels" on the dial and so may well have a 17 jewel movement. The other one with just the "21" on the dial may well have a 1 jewel pin lever movement. Whether they are truly NOS or not it doesn't sound like they have any recent service history and so would require a service to be factored into the overall price. That can make an otherwise cheap novelty not quite so attractive.
    Thanks for taking the time to answer a beginner's questions!

Hi there,

Quote Originally Posted by v8chrono View Post
    Yes the Fortis and Roamer watches shown are fantasy pieces....
    Honestly, people who buy such trash with potato-printed dials, and signatures applied with a hobby cnc mill or just etched, don't deserve anything better. In the web lots of informations about serious items are readily available, and being a newbie can't be regarded as excuse.

Some desparately want to be ripped off, and like almost every demand also this is supported. Daily news demonstrate, what money in the wrong pocket does, so money in the pocket of a fraudster is by far not the worst option.

Regards, Roland Ranfft

EB is Ebauches Bettlach, a Swiss movement maker. Much of their output was very inexpensive pin lever movements, often 1 jewelers but they also had higher jeweled versions. I'm not familiar with a caliber 90 from them.

Quote Originally Posted by Roland Ranfft View Post
    Some desparately want to be ripped off ...
    This may be a slight overstatement.

However, I agree with the general sentiment. Many people probably suspect that they are buying something crappy or fake (because it is too cheap to be good or real), but they intentionally subscribe to the "ignorance is bliss" theory.
    -- Dan (formerly known as @badbackdan)
    ------- @oldwatchdan on Instagram -------

Quote Originally Posted by Kru Chris View Post
    and there were THOUSANDS ov NOS watches. He gave me the link to a Swiss website
    Are you willing to share this with the group?

Quote Originally Posted by Roland Ranfft View Post
    Honestly, people who buy such trash with potato-printed dials, and signatures applied with a hobby cnc mill or just etched, don't deserve anything better
    You are probably correct, being ripped off initially is a good way to learn, as long as you do learn and not make the same mistake again. When I think back to when I started collecting I may well have been taken in by a few of these pieces, through newbie's eyes the Roamer looks good (to good to be true) but perhaps even I could of spoted that the 'painted at a kids party' dial on the Fortis was not right!

Quote Originally Posted by badbackdan View Post
    This may be a slight overstatement.
    I think so too. It really depends on so many factors - who the seller is, what watches, etc.

I will just leave three examples of NOS watches I bought from a seller in Europe.
    Everything was as-described. I am quite happy with them, for they they cost, etc.

Name:  IMG_3017.JPG
Views: 54
Size:  34.7 KB . Name:  Radiant_2866.JPG
Views: 56
Size:  101.0 KB . Name:  IMG_2995.jpg
Views: 57
Size:  32.0 KB
    bluestifford likes this.
    "Be thine own palace, or the world's thy jail." _ John Donne

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information