what is the best manual wind Enicar movement?
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Roland Ranfft

Thread: what is the best manual wind Enicar movement?

what is the best manual wind Enicar movement?

I'm a novice watch enthusiast and have been researching in hopes of picking up a couple of vintage manual wind watches to start with. I have been reading about Enicar and have found a couple I like for a decent price. One is a 1010 and the other is a 160. Both original dials, crown, movement, etc. These would be to keep and wear and not to resell for a quick buck. Any advice? Thanks!
    Last edited by Space Noodle; September 7th, 2014 at 02:24.

Re: what is the best manual wind Enicar movement?

Moved to Vintage.
    160 is a newer movement & a bit higher frequency, according to the Ranfft archive. Both have shock protection. I'd choose based on condition and seller.
    Last edited by Ray MacDonald; September 7th, 2014 at 15:13.

There are fathers who do not love their children; there is no grandfather who does not adore his grandson. ~ Victor Hugo

Thanks! I know the 1010 is older, and that is really what I was leaning toward.
    - Mike

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

1010s are a very rugged movement! One of Enicar's best in my humble opinion.

They also are capable of outstanding accuracy. Assuming you have a good watchmaker willing to make it run right. That is at least 75% of the battle right there.

The 160 is certainly no slouch. Might be timed to even more accuracy than the 1010. As for how rugged, I defer to others who have more experience with that movement.

Hi there,

Quote Originally Posted by hns-panama View Post
    ....I defer to others who have more experience with that movement.
    I'm afraid a collector can't gain experiences with his watches. Each has to share his wrist with many others, and even his grandson will not become old enough to notice anything. Moreover two watches with diferrent histories can't be compared.

So one can only restrict to figures: The 1010 is a 10.5''' design blown up to 11.5'', while the 160 is designed for 11.5'''. Accordingly the 160 has a bigger balance. This and the higher frequency make it it capable for better accuracy if produced after same standards. In return both mean more wear for the balance pivots, but this is not the main issue for most watches. Another important detail is the big bearing of the crown wheel. The additional costs for the more durable design are usually only spent for slim movements, or high grade movements. As the 160 can't be called slim, Enicar actually did here something for the customers.

So from visible details, the 160 is the better choice. But is this the most important argument for a collector? Why do some prefer a Waterbury brick against a contemporary IWC, and even pay the same, although both seem to come from different galaxies?

Regards, Roland Ranfft
    Last edited by Roland Ranfft; September 9th, 2014 at 06:10.
    bobbee likes this.

Thread Information