What can you tell me about my "Bucherer?" - pics

Thread: What can you tell me about my "Bucherer?" - pics

Picture What can you tell me about my "Bucherer?" - pics

Does anyone know anything about this watch? I don't know much about it and am curious about who made it, how old it might be, what sort of movement it has etc.

Here's what I do know about it: This watch is a family possession that was given to me by my parents not long ago. We expect the watch is about 30 years old but don't know exactly. It is an automatic. The dial says "BUCHERER" on top underneath some logo. "OFFICIALLY CERTIFIED CHRONOMETER" and "SWISS MADE" between two symbols that look like a capital letter "T" on the bottom of the dial. I don't know of any other writing anywhere else on the outside of the case. It can be wound manually. It does not hack.

It has been serviced a few times. The strap, crown, and probably the crystal are not original.

In the pictures some damage around the outside of the dial that looks like corrosion or maybe some sort of mold can be seen. This corrosion extends inward from the edge of the dial by several millimeters. I think this is my own fault for exposing it to moisture (rain, sweat), as it is probably not waterproof. More recently the bezel has fallen off when the watch accidentally brushed against a chair (see picture with bezel off). It looks like it was held together by glue. It will be going back for repairs sometime soon.

When it winds it makes a sickly scraping noise, as though the rotor is loose and scraping against the inside of the case or something. Can anyone tell me if this implies that the watch should be serviced, or if this is probably normal? Does anyone know if this "Bucherer" is connected to the modern Carl F Bucherer watches? Does anyone know what sort of movement it has?

Thanks so much! :thanks
    Attached Images Attached Images

Banned

Re: What can you tell me about my "Bucherer?" - pics

Quote Originally Posted by austinnh View Post
    Does anyone know if this "Bucherer" is connected to the modern Carl F Bucherer watches?
    Yes, it's the same company. I've got a vintage cushion case with a sunburst dial. Not a very common brand, but it's been a family business for a long time. They were primarily known as a jewelry maker but are now trying to bring the brand name into prominence. The company was founded in 1888 in Lucerne. Carl Friedrich and Louise Bucherer opened the store while son Carl Eduard became a goldsmith and son Ernst became a watchmaker. They made some high-end platinum & diamond ladies watches in the early 1900's. The father died in 1933 and the sons went public with the company. They became a bit more popular in America after WWII. Bucherer then bought the chronometer maker Credos which increased their production - in the late 60's to mid 70's they produced 15,000+ chronometers a year. The company is now run by the grandson Jorg G. Bucherer.

On a personal note, I like the brand and their new offerings. Unfortunately they aren't a big draw to collectors so the value may not be that great. It IS a family heirloom though.

stuffler,mike

Moved to "Vintage & Pocket Watches" !

In the 60ties and 70ties BUCHERER sold a lot of those watches, most of them have been produced by other manufacturers (even a BUCHERER Rolex was available). Please open the back and take a shot of the movement so that we can - hopefully - answer your question. At those times a lot of movements have been around so it is hard to guess what movement is in your Bucherer

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Does anyone know anything about this watch? I don't know much about it and am curious about who made it, how old it might be, what sort of movement it has etc.

Here's what I do know about it: This watch is a family possession that was given to me by my parents not long ago. We expect the watch is about 30 years old but don't know exactly. It is an automatic. The dial says "BUCHERER" on top underneath some logo. "OFFICIALLY CERTIFIED CHRONOMETER" and "SWISS MADE" between two symbols that look like a capital letter "T" on the bottom of the dial. I don't know of any other writing anywhere else on the outside of the case. It can be wound manually. It does not hack.

It has been serviced a few times. The strap, crown, and probably the crystal are not original.

In the pictures some damage around the outside of the dial that looks like corrosion or maybe some sort of mold can be seen. This corrosion extends inward from the edge of the dial by several millimeters. I think this is my own fault for exposing it to moisture (rain, sweat), as it is probably not waterproof. More recently the bezel has fallen off when the watch accidentally brushed against a chair (see picture with bezel off). It looks like it was held together by glue. It will be going back for repairs sometime soon.

When it winds it makes a sickly scraping noise, as though the rotor is loose and scraping against the inside of the case or something. Can anyone tell me if this implies that the watch should be serviced, or if this is probably normal? Does anyone know if this "Bucherer" is connected to the modern Carl F Bucherer watches? Does anyone know what sort of movement it has?

Thanks so much! :thanks
    The scraping noise is likely the result of the rotor scraping against the case or movement. Two possible causes are the movement itself could could be loose in the case or the rotor bearings could be worn. Yes, a service should be performed if it is going to be used. The service should include replacing all seals and securing the crystal and bezel.

The movement could very well be an ETA, but the only way to find out is to remove the back and look carefully around the movement including the escapement for any identifying numbers.

Does anyone know anything about this watch? I don't know much about it and am curious about who made it, how old it might be, what sort of movement it has etc. ...
    Bucherer is the largest jewelery chain in Switzerland. For a while they had exclusive rights to sell Rolex in Switzerland. They have routinely carried 'house' watches which carry their name and are often made by an établisseu (a company like Breitling that specializes in building watches from parts made by others).

I find that Bucherer was very selective in watches that carried their name and they represent great value for the money since the bulk of the market never heard of them and never bids on them at auctions. I too have a COSC Chronometer bearing Bucherer's name. I only paid $100 and, with the $100 COA now have an automatic that really does meet Chronometer standards.

My example was built from an ETA 2824. I suspect yours was too but only looking at the movement will say for sure. I would guess from the casing and dial it is a 70's watch but classic Arabic dials like that were available in almost every era.

Enjoy your watch!
    Last edited by Eeeb; June 8th, 2009 at 15:54.
    "Forever is composed of nows." - Emily Dickinson

"The watch has to be surrounded by a history.
    You need more than just a great design. You need to create an atmosphere around the product.
    Who is the company behind it? Why are they using this material?
    People need to be able to identify the watch with themselves. It's based on emotion." - Ralph Furter

...that's just my opinion and I've been wrong before and will be again and might be now!

Wow thank you for all information and fast replies! And sorry about posting in the wrong section. I'm not certain, but looking at the case, it seems like the only way to get inside is through the crystal, there doesn't seem to be a way to get in through the back. (I've never opened a watch before, so maybe I'm confused.) I might feel more comfortable having a watchmaker or someone else with experience taking it apart. I'll sleep on it, and try and get some pictures of the movement one way or another.

Wow thank you for all information and fast replies! And sorry about posting in the wrong section. I'm not certain, but looking at the case, it seems like the only way to get inside is through the crystal, there doesn't seem to be a way to get in through the back. (I've never opened a watch before, so maybe I'm confused.) I might feel more comfortable having a watchmaker or someone else with experience taking it apart. I'll sleep on it, and try and get some pictures of the movement one way or another.
    At this point you don't need to know which movement is in the watch. Rest assured it is certainly a very good quality swiss automatic movement. Let the watch repairman worry about disassembly.

Thread Information