What is the criteria that makes a watch valuable?

Thread: What is the criteria that makes a watch valuable?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

I do not understand how this works. I have a Lorie (just an example) it is over 65 years old according to my research is rare (unless you tell me otherwise) it is in good working shape.
    Now you tell me what makes a watch valuable besides age, rarely and name?

Re: What is the criteria that makes a watch valuable?

Rarity isn't enough if there is no demand.

Basically as far as I can see, the most accurate and but least helpful answer is "collector interest" makes it collectable. People are strange things and get excited about certain objects for, at times, unfathomable reasons. Men like things that go BANG, hence the huge interest in military watches...

Well heeled demand exceeds supply.

Watch has some historical significance or was owned by some person of note. First watch in space. Ghandi's watch.

Watch has some horological significance. First water proof watch. First quartz watch.

Watch has some craft/jewelry like significance. Jewel encrusted, and/or precious metals.

Watch has some novel complication like a Tourbillion, requiring massive amounts of esoteric craftsmanship, implicitly leading to rarity.

Watch has some social or popular significance. Omega Seamaster, Rolex President, TAG Monaco.

Of course any combination of the preceding suffices too.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Zenith Forum Co-moderator

Quote Originally Posted by watch origins View Post
    I do not understand how this works. I have a Lorie (just an example) it is over 65 years old according to my research is rare (unless you tell me otherwise) it is in good working shape.
    Now you tell me what makes a watch valuable besides age, rarely and name?
    Sorry, I can't! The trouble is that it is really down to age, rarity and name! And nothing else!

Take your Lorie. So, it's rare. The fact of the matter is that, presuming that it has a generic movement (ETA? Adolf Schild? FHF?), high class though it may be, it is not exactly rare for a watch of its type - generic calibre, no-name watch from the forties. If it is in practically new, unscratched condition, it will be worth some more than a watch that's evidently seen some action, but the more important features are name and especially movement. The reason why certain brands are considered more valuable is that most of them have "manufacture" calibres - movements that you get in no watches from other brands. If you want one, you buy one from this brand or you can forget it! So, even if it isn't a terribly special manufacture movement (solid but rather middle of the line types include Junghans and the M.S.R. brands - Revue, Phenix, Vulcain), it has a certain rarity value.

One further criterion is probably whether the brand survives until today. The latest issue of "ArmbandUhren" had a report on Enicar, stating that their movements were qualitatively on a par of the Omega and Rolex movements of their era. So why do Enicar watches go for less on the market than vintage Omegas or Rolexes?! Because the company folded. Partly, it's probably down to prestige ("uninterrupted history for n decades" or so), partly, it's the fact that if you have an old one and want to get it repaired, you can't send it to the mother factory any more. C'est la vie.....and the way of the market!

Hartmut Richter

Another thing is sentimental value, losing a watch given to you by a family member who has since passed away holds so much value ,but only to you, making it very "valuable " indeed.

Irreplacable.
    This would be of no value at all even to a collector if you were selling it for example.

Banned

Desirability sets the value, which has a lot to do with the brand name. Put up for auction a one of a kind Gruen from the 50's against a garden variety Rolex Sub of which a million-ish were made and the Sub will fetch more money because people want it more.

I put it down to "Significance". Was the watch significant in any way? Did anything happen to that particular watch to make it more significant? Your Lorie is probably one of a thousands of watches produced by one of thousands of companies that did nothing but produce watches. If there wasn't anything that made it special when it was new, the only thing that potentially adds to that now is its age, and at this point there's still hundreds of thousands of watches that are enough like it to make that significance...well, insignificant.
    My growing collection of "affordable" vintages: http://www.abslomrob.com

Quote Originally Posted by ulackfocus View Post
    Desirability sets the value, which has a lot to do with the brand name. Put up for auction a one of a kind Gruen from the 50's against a garden variety Rolex Sub of which a million-ish were made and the Sub will fetch more money because people want it more.
    Fools! (well, I take that back, can we make it a pre-50s Gruen )

Which just supports my statement that people are odd. Ima jumpin on a bandwagon!. Things become desirable simply because other people desire them, see....

Dutch Tulip Bubble

Quality
    Complication
    Fashion

Quote Originally Posted by radger View Post

Quality
    Complication
    Fashion
    Sorry Radger, I can't agree....

Oh boy, I must be in such a cynical mood today.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information