What did I just purchase?
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: What did I just purchase?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

What did I just purchase?

Thanks to my auction hair-trigger I now own the watch pictured below.

I've long considered a vintage Smiths and have spent months casually scanning for an Everest/Deluxe or W10 when I saw this going for under $150 and grabbed it. It looks like a cool retro piece with an interesting date/time zone function, otherwise I'm clueless as to its origins.

Does anybody know the model, year of manufacture, case size, movement type or any other information on this watch's history?

Name:  Untitled.jpg
Views: 416
Size:  36.4 KBName:  Untitled2.jpg
Views: 416
Size:  29.7 KB
    Last edited by D1JBS; December 26th, 2011 at 17:23.
    "An extravagance is anything you buy that has no earthly use to your wife".

Vint. Forum Co-Moderator Mirius's Avatar

Re: What did I just purchase?

That looks like great fun, love the month indicator. I think though you'll need to show us movement photos to tell you very much more. I would hazard a guess as to late sixties through to mid seventies on the styling.

Thanks, that's what caught my eye, although similar to many older watches, it probably isn't as large as the pictures suggest.

From the case back and styling I'd be more inclined to say seventies than sixties, which makes it all the more interesting since I can find very little information on Smiths watches made after the sixties. The watch should arrive next week, so I'll post more pics then.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Interesting piece. When you get it and rephotograph it, please put in a ruler or something for a frame of reference. If the watches are like their electronics on my MGB, I'm not sure how good a runner this Smiths will be! LOL
    "Forever is composed of nows." - Emily Dickinson

"The watch has to be surrounded by a history.
    You need more than just a great design. You need to create an atmosphere around the product.
    Who is the company behind it? Why are they using this material?
    People need to be able to identify the watch with themselves. It's based on emotion." - Ralph Furter

...that's just my opinion and I've been wrong before and will be again and might be now!

As a former MG owner, one sympathises.

However, the little I've read on Smiths suggests they were a once great brand that supplied Hilary's Everest expedition and the standard-issue British Army watch for many years. Sadly they seem to have been a victim of the decline of Britain's manufacturing sector in the late seventies, although I believe they still make instruments for the aircraft industry - so their reputation must be pretty sound.

I'd love to know more about it and find myself wondering if it was designed for a specific purpose or expedition. I'll be sure to post more pics once it is in my possession.

Interesting watch, and can't say I've seen one of those before, but would also say 70's from the styling!!

Look forward to seeing more pics of it

Very cool looking watch. Unfortunately it lacks the most interesting part of the Smiths heritage; an English movement!
    Tick Talk says, "A watch in the hand is worth two on the wrist"

True - although this might be one of the more interesting aspects of my mystery purchase. I've done some more digging and discovered that in their twilight years Smiths did some re-casing of popular Swiss movements. I've also seen some 1970's Smiths Military 'Divers' that appear to share the same casing...

If the watches are like their electronics on my MGB, I'm not sure how good a runner this Smiths will be!
    LOL...Everybody knows the Brits invented the intermittent windshield wiper...at the same time they invented the intermittent headlight, intermittent ignition, intermittent...

Cool looking watch though...very funky.

that thing is bizarre, in a good way. You can safely wear it knowing nobody else has one on! I'd like to see a profile shot, this guy looks pretty tall.
    As a former owner of several Triumph TR7's I can attest to the three-position Lucas lightswitch: Dim, Flicker and Fail!
    Pink Floyd. Dark side of the moon. Side one, track four.
    Gallet Facebook page:
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/GalletChronographs/

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information