What to do on this dial. Could use input

Thread: What to do on this dial. Could use input

What to do on this dial. Could use input

I recently purchased this old Mido Powerwind. I really expected to have the movement worked on but amazingly, it runs great. Still, I have it in my "que" of watches needing movement work. My question is what to do with the dial, if anything. When I got the watch, the crystal was a mess so I had it replaced. The dial, overall is in pretty good shape. It appears to be silvertoned (bare metal?) with a lacquer coating. The coating is yellowing and cracking. Those are the cracks you see in the image as the crystal is new and clear. My questions to anyone that knows, are these:

1. Can a dial be strip of a clearcoat and re-clearcoated without completely stripping the dial?

2. The barnails are pretty faded. Is that something that can be effectively address separate from a completely refinishing the dial?

My general feeling is to leave it as is if the only way to address these issues is completely redoing the dial. I'm not really concerned about resale value becasue 1) I don't intend to resell the watch and 2) Its not exactly a classic. Another thing I've consedered is looking for parts watches or dials I could use as a replacement. Haven't seen too many though.

Name:  IMG_2933.jpg
Views: 200
Size:  64.7 KB

Re: What to do on this dial. Could use input

My vote is to leave it as is.

Quote Originally Posted by vbomega View Post
    My vote is to leave it as is.
    Mine too. Its a nice looking watch as it is.
    Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects."

Will Rogers (1879 - 1935)

Please don't PM me to ask for a valuation - I won't attempt one.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Thanks. I'm definitely strongly leaning that way. Avoid the urge to tinker and leave well enough alone.
    Last edited by Otto Phan; December 23rd, 2011 at 15:42.

I would leave it alone too. The dial looks in great shape, that's the appeal of vintage watches, for me at least

It's an old watch with use. Leave that dial alone! It matches the watch. If it were a museum-quality timepiece, then I would consider a complete restoration.

It's only original once. Besides, if you're undecided now, better to leave it then restore it later, rather than restore it then regret it later.

As Said above I think part of the appeal of vintage is that nice browning old look. I think it looks perfect.

From experience the yellowing is due to the lacquer on the metal dial discolouring with age, but it's more than just washing off the lacquer and re-lacquering: the black printing paint cannot stick to the bare metal dial so the lacquer was applied to provide a base for the paint to stick to. Remove the lacquer and the printing is gone for good.

I have one which is very similar to yours, except for the lug details. Still hoping to find a crown/stem for it. Actually I saw a parts watch on eBay the other day, FYI.

Dial looks Fine, nicely aged. Nice looking watch.

Thread Information