What do I need in my collection - would like your thoughts on my next steps
Like Tree14Likes

Thread: What do I need in my collection - would like your thoughts on my next steps

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

What do I need in my collection - would like your thoughts on my next steps

I have a small, but nice collection of mostly heirloom watches.

Vintage (sort of) Watches
    c1940 Lividia Chronograph - Landeron 48 Movement (Grandfathers)
    1952 Omega 410 Movement - 14 k Gold (Grandfathers)
    1965 Omega Seamaster Deville 562 Movement (Fathers)
    1960s Tudor Oyster Prince Automatic (no Date) (Purchase 20 years ago)
    c1975 Rado Companion (Fathers)
    1981 Seiko (Gift on my 16th Birthday)
    1970's ELCO Automatic (Just bought on eBay)
    1970's Caravelle Automatic (Just bought on eBay)

Others
    Citizen SkyHawk (Blue Angels Model)
    Seiko Solar Diver Chronograph
    ESQ Diver (15 Years Old - Part of his and hers set I bought when I was first married)
    A few junkie Timex and others

I am attracted to 1940's Military style watches as well as Vintage Chronographs. Newer watches are ok, but I like the idea of hunting down interesting stuff.

Any thoughts on what would be a nice next step in collecting vintage pieces. Not looking to spend thousands, but a few bucks is ok.

Thanks!

Re: What do I need in my collection - would like your thoughts on my next steps

Maybe a hamilton? Like a Pacer/Ventura? Or a nice pocket watch? Or maybe a Gruen?

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk 4 Beta
    Attached Images Attached Images

Of course you don't 'need' anything. It depends on what you like and your budget. But if you want something different from your existing collection maybe:

A mystery dial watch -

Or a pointer date watch:

Or something Russian:

Or a 40's Swiss watch:

Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects."

Will Rogers (1879 - 1935)

Please don't PM me to ask for a valuation - I won't attempt one.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

My advice to all new collectors is to stay focussed
    Choose either a manufacturer - I call this 'vertical'collecting
    OR
    A 'type' (complication) - say automatics - I call this 'horizontal' collecting.

'Horizontal' collecting can be by period, complication, style etc

At times the vertical and Horizontal with cross - that is great.

but dont (in my opinion) just buy timepieces because they are cheap or you may like it

That is my personal advice

Regards
    DD7 likes this.
    NEVER ARGUE WITH AN IDIOT. FIRST THEY WILL DRAG YOU DOWN TO THEIR LEVEL. THEN, THEY WILL BEAT YOU WITH EXPERIENCE.

"Failure is not an option" - Gene Kranz
    "Owning a vintage watch is great, understanding where it sits in Horology is magnificent"
    and
    "By Teaching Others, We Teach Ourselves"
    Adam

Adam's approach is a good one. It does provide focus.

For me the focus of my entire collection is watches I wear (or would be happy wearing if I had enough arms ).

So I never feel guilty buying something 'off the wall' if I think the price point is within my budget (much smaller now that I am retired )

We are all different. Buy what YOU like.

I still have focuses - I suspect I have one of the best Autoquartz collections around. Round dial analog/digitals (like the X-33) are another (though that is no where near comprehensive). But I wear them all (when I feel like it).
    Last edited by Eeeb; June 17th, 2013 at 15:39.
    "Forever is composed of nows." - Emily Dickinson

"The watch has to be surrounded by a history.
    You need more than just a great design. You need to create an atmosphere around the product.
    Who is the company behind it? Why are they using this material?
    People need to be able to identify the watch with themselves. It's based on emotion." - Ralph Furter

...that's just my opinion and I've been wrong before and will be again and might be now!

Hmm...the closest "military" wristwatch that would (loosely) fit your current collection would probably be a Bulova A-11 or Ord. watch (which ties to your caravelle somewhat). Unless you want to aim high for a British WW watch or a WWII chronograph, but those are a bit riskier in terms of price and the inicidence of fakes/frankens.
    My growing collection of "affordable" vintages: http://www.abslomrob.com

As Adam suggests, your collecting has reached the point where you may want to determine what kind of collector you are. Most collectors start out as 'acquirers' - you acquire watches impulsively, with little thought to any kind of theme. Not a thing wrong with that! It means that you're buying what you like, and you'll be likely to wear them and take care of them.

At a certain point, acquirers who become collectors start thinking beyond the next watch. Maybe they pick up a book about watches, or read something on the internet, and there's a hook that interests them. In my case, it was American watch makers. That's driven my collecting, originally Railroad Pocket Watches, and now Elgins from the last 3 decades of production in America. I'm fascinated by the period of American history - the Depression, WWII, and the postwar era, and how the styles reflect the mood of the times.

To make collecting fun, your hook has to be something that keeps your interest. For me, it's not only the era, it's also the mechanics. The watches I buy, Elgins, are undervalued, so I can often scoop them up for a few dollars. Servicing them professionally would cost far more than their value, and I always wanted to learn how to fix watches, so I bought some books and some tools, and taught myself. Now I'm no longer afraid of a watch that 'doesn't run but balance turns freely', or 'ticks but stops', or the ubiquitous 'I think it's wound too tight'!

But that's me. Lots of collectors won't touch the innards of their watches, and if I collected Omegas, for example, I'd probably be the same way. Then again, I wouldn't collect watches I was afraid to work on!

The key to collecting wisely overall is knowledge. Whatever you choose as the guiding principle of your collecting, learn as much as possible, and you'll know, for example, when that watch in the display case, or on Ebay, is really special, and when it's overpriced.

And remember, it's supposed to be FUN!
    HOROLOGIST007 likes this.
    Don't take life so serious, son. It ain't nohow permanent - Pogo

My Elgin Blog...

Good post by GeneJockey
    I add one other point. Make friends with other collectors, ask here before you buy.
    ask advice

Good Luck
    a
    NEVER ARGUE WITH AN IDIOT. FIRST THEY WILL DRAG YOU DOWN TO THEIR LEVEL. THEN, THEY WILL BEAT YOU WITH EXPERIENCE.

"Failure is not an option" - Gene Kranz
    "Owning a vintage watch is great, understanding where it sits in Horology is magnificent"
    and
    "By Teaching Others, We Teach Ourselves"
    Adam

Quote Originally Posted by HOROLOGIST007 View Post
    Good post by GeneJockey
    I add one other point. Make friends with other collectors, ask here before you buy.
    ask advice

Good Luck
    a
    Another friend to make: a good watchmaker!
    "Forever is composed of nows." - Emily Dickinson

"The watch has to be surrounded by a history.
    You need more than just a great design. You need to create an atmosphere around the product.
    Who is the company behind it? Why are they using this material?
    People need to be able to identify the watch with themselves. It's based on emotion." - Ralph Furter

...that's just my opinion and I've been wrong before and will be again and might be now!

Quote Originally Posted by Eeeb View Post
    Another friend to make: a good watchmaker!
    Otherwise known as "My Watch Guy", or "My Guy" for short. As in, "I just got this one back from My Guy", or "I'm waiting impatiently for it to come back from My Guy."

I used to have a Watch Guy, till I figured out how to be my own, but every collector of vintage watches needs a Watch Guy! But I don't buy anything I'm afraid to work on. That means no calendars, no chronos, and no alarms. Luckily, none of those fits in the parameters of my collecting!
    Don't take life so serious, son. It ain't nohow permanent - Pogo

My Elgin Blog...

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information