what do u think?

Thread: what do u think?

what do u think?

my wife found this piece at the local flea market today wasnt to excited about it but insisted on getting it it wasnt much an isnt working. opened it up and it looks to be a pin lever movement??? and looked up name inside constructa watch ltd 17 jewels and found some info but not much it looks vintage but not sure any info would be great ad the wife would love to rub in my face if it is a good quality piece as i was hesitent on buying?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Zenith Forum Co-moderator

Re: what do u think?

It is indeed a pin lever movement which has been upgraded by jewelling. Some sort of Baumgartner (BFG) movement, but to be sure, I'd have to see the maker's stamp. Some of the jewels are semi-redundant (cap stones on some of the wheels) and have merely been included to jack up the jewel count to 17 and make it look from outside like a higher quality watch. Still, it will serve you well enough if it is still in running order.

Hartmut Richter

Mod. Russian, China Mech. Chascomm's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by osiris View Post
    my wife found this piece at the local flea market today wasnt to excited about it but insisted on getting it it wasnt much an isnt working. opened it up and it looks to be a pin lever movement??? and looked up name inside constructa watch ltd 17 jewels and found some info but not much it looks vintage but not sure any info would be great ad the wife would love to rub in my face if it is a good quality piece as i was hesitent on buying?
    As Harmut says, it's a Baumgartner. Usually these were built with one jewel only, but you got the hot-rod version. Constructa could be just about anybody; these movements were usually supplied as raw ebauches to be finished by the watch assembler or a finisher middle-man, hence many are signed "Agon Watch Co." and I saw one Hong Kong example signed "Swiss Watch Co, Seoul". I've got a 17 jewel jump-hour variant finished by Riga, Israel for an Israeli subsidiary of the Swiss Nelson company. That's the thing about this class of Swiss pin-lever; even when they're original, they're mongrels!

For all that, the Baumgartner BFG 866 is probably the most serviceable of all its peers. And at least you don't have to worry about the mainspring, which by most accounts really is 'unbreakable' (I know one guy who favours them for upgrades to Omega Speedmasters!)

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Hi osiris,

have a look here:
    http://www.ranfft.de/cgi-bin/bidfun-...aumgartner_866

@Chascomm: I'd better not leave my Speedmaster to the guy who favours
    the BFG 866 mainspring for upgrading it.

Regards, Roland Ranfft

Mod. Russian, China Mech. Chascomm's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Roland Ranfft View Post
    Hi osiris,

have a look here:
    http://www.ranfft.de/cgi-bin/bidfun-...aumgartner_866

@Chascomm: I'd better not leave my Speedmaster to the guy who favours
    the BFG 866 mainspring for upgrading it.

Regards, Roland Ranfft
    He and another watchmaker in this town have expressed great frustration with the poor quality-control on Omega mainsprings. I don't think they have any other issues with Omega ...apart from the bracelet link pins
    ...but apart from that, these guys only use genuine Omega parts

Thread Information