What do you guys think of this Waltham Wrist Watch?
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: What do you guys think of this Waltham Wrist Watch?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

What do you guys think of this Waltham Wrist Watch?

I was wondering what you guys think of this Waltham, is it a redial. Also do you think the gears look like they could be a problem?

Name:  $(KGrHqJ,!oIF!Fg)VFV7BQOFOHo67!~~60_12.jpg
Views: 1716
Size:  47.0 KB

Name:  $(KGrHqN,!jkE+6y-BrIrBQOFM3Uv+!~~60_12.jpg
Views: 1116
Size:  45.8 KB

Name:  $(KGrHqR,!hgF!ys+5d!sBQOFNQR76Q~~60_12.jpg
Views: 937
Size:  45.4 KB

Name:  $(KGrHqRHJB!E+OFPloPmBQOFNtcI2!~~60_12.jpg
Views: 682
Size:  44.2 KB

Name:  $T2eC16dHJIkE9qU3lQQoBQOGESh9iQ~~60_12.jpg
Views: 709
Size:  52.5 KB

Name:  $T2eC16NHJI!E9qSO8F)TBQOGEQZ+ug~~60_12.jpg
Views: 749
Size:  81.8 KB

Name:  $T2eC16VHJGYE9nooiLRlBQOGEnc5jw~~60_12.jpg
Views: 774
Size:  37.4 KB

Re: What do you guys think of this Waltham Wrist Watch?

From what I can find, the movement was made in about 1908. Most likely NOT a redial, since it's probably a porcelain dial. These can easily be cleaned to looking like new, whereas painted metal dials need to be re-done to look new. The style matches the date of the movement.

Given the age of the movement, it's more likely to have been recased. Wrist watches really only got started after about 1914 or so in the US, but of course rapidly took over the market. A lot of women's pocket and pendant watches had their movements stripped out and recased as men's wrist watches in the 20s, which is when this looks to have been done (unless more recently).

The case is 10kt Rolled Gold Plate, but it appears to be in great shape. I don't see any brassing in the pictures, though whether it would stand up to being inspected with a loupe is another question.

Assuming the watch has been serviced recently, the pitting on the crown and ratchet wheels is cosmetic only. That happens to steel in watches that old - a little moisture starts just a bit of corrosion, and it leaves this cosmetic scarring, while most likely not damaging the integrity of the part.

Since its a '0' sized movement, it will probably be somewhat larger than lots of vintage pieces, but the style (cushion) is very nice, definitely vintage, and even if it were put together recently, is authentic to the age of the case - watches just like that were being made and worn in the 20s.
    Don't take life so serious, son. It ain't nohow permanent - Pogo

My Elgin Blog...

It's already at $330.00 with 2 days and 2 hours left do you guys think it will go much higher?

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by GeneJockey View Post
    From what I can find, the movement was made in about 1908. Most likely NOT a redial, since it's probably a porcelain dial. These can easily be cleaned to looking like new, whereas painted metal dials need to be re-done to look new. The style matches the date of the movement.Given the age of the movement, it's more likely to have been recased. Wrist watches really only got started after about 1914 or so in the US, but of course rapidly took over the market. A lot of women's pocket and pendant watches had their movements stripped out and recased as men's wrist watches in the 20s, which is when this looks to have been done (unless more recently).The case is 10kt Rolled Gold Plate, but it appears to be in great shape. I don't see any brassing in the pictures, though whether it would stand up to being inspected with a loupe is another question. Assuming the watch has been serviced recently, the pitting on the crown and ratchet wheels is cosmetic only. That happens to steel in watches that old - a little moisture starts just a bit of corrosion, and it leaves this cosmetic scarring, while most likely not damaging the integrity of the part. Since its a '0' sized movement, it will probably be somewhat larger than lots of vintage pieces, but the style (cushion) is very nice, definitely vintage, and even if it were put together recently, is authentic to the age of the case - watches just like that were being made and worn in the 20s.
    Thanks GJ. Nice job. Beat me to it. [Have you examined the watch with the bezel removed? Are the numerals baked on porcelain enamel, fired into the white dial base? If so, I wouldn't care if it was original or not as long as it was age appropriate for the serialization. If by gears you are referring to the ratchet and crown wheels, the photo isn't of sufficient resolution to determine if any of the teeth are broken or worn. Surface corrosion is consistent with wrist or pocket wear for a small non water resistent case. There are numerous spares available for this caliber. These 0's are decent timekeepers and the Star cushion is an attractive little case.]

Quote Originally Posted by ThomasPink View Post
    It's already at $330.00 with 2 days and 2 hours left do you guys think it will go much higher?
    In the immortal words of Chef's dad, "Bout tree fiddy."
    Courtesy of ULF.

I don't now what Walthams go for, but I know a bit about auctions. What it's at 2 days from close is almost never what it goes for. What usually happens for an item with a lot of bidders is that a couple guys who aren't very experienced bid the item up days before the end, then somebody else snipes in the last 10 seconds and wins it. Often there are multiple snipes, and it goes WAY higher than it was even 1 minute before closing.

Whoever is the highest bid now is bidding incrementally to top the last bid. This drives the price up, and can lead to a bidding war where the price goes way too high. This is the road to disappointment, because the person who bids incrementally reveals that his high bid is only a couple dollars higher than wherever the price stands now. He is essentially showing all his cards. Not only that, but the high number of bids signals to others that this piece may be really desirable.

My advice on how to win Ebay auctions is:

1. Know what it's likely to go for. Figure out what you like, and learn all you can about that (those) brand(s). Use the 'Watch List' feature to keep track of those auctions, and see where the prices ended up. That will help you determine if you can even afford it.

2. Choose your price. Determine exactly how much you're willing to pay for that item. Bid that, and don't allow yourself to get sucked into going higher.

3. Bid once, bid late. Wait until the last minute, enter your bid, and walk away from the computer till after it ends. Alternatively, use a sniping service to enter the bid for you. They specialize in entering last-second bids. LITERALLY last second. When you bid at the last second, there's no chance for anyone else to respond. If they enter a bid lower than yours, they can't raise it if yours comes in with under 5 seconds left.

Most importantly, don't fall in love with any particular piece, or you'll have your heart broken repeatedly. If I've learned one thing in a couple years of buying watches on Ebay, it's that whatever it is, there will be another one. Tomorrow, next week, next month, next year.
    parrotandpitbull likes this.

My Elgin Blog...

I don't now what Walthams go for, . . . . . .
    Sport, could one assume that you could nail a similar Elgin?

p
    Courtesy of ULF.

Nah. Not my era. Post-1935 is my specialty. Probably Stan (literustyfan on WTF) could, though. He's another Elgin fan, but he specializes in trench watches and transition pieces like this one.

My Elgin Blog...

Nah. Not my era. Post-1935 is my specialty. Probably Stan (literustyfan on WTF) could, though. He's another Elgin fan, but he specializes in trench watches and transition pieces like this one.
    I've got several 0's in cushions - Swiss and American - and didn't ever perceive them to be particularly valuable. But after all, I'm a frivolous non collector of examples of oscure complications and other arcane mechanisms.

p
    Courtesy of ULF.

GeneJokey is giving invaluable advice and a clear picture of what happens in ebay bidding. Any one new to bidding on ebay or elsewhere on the web for that matter, should take his thesis to heart and follow it. My scenario for bidding is to put in a late bid at the very top penny of what Im willing to spend and walk away.Its always a nice surprise to find out Ive won. Not so nice to lose, but as GJ says theirs always another watch coming down the pike. I dont snipe, only because I cant figure out how it works if 3 people are sniping. Does the best sniping service win? If so, what is that sniping service?

Highest bid wins, no matter when it comes in. If two equal high bids come in, the first one wins. That's why I never bid in even dollars.

If the current price exceeds your bid when the service tries to place it, it just doesn't go through, like a manual bid. You lose.

If your bid is below the current price your bid is entered, but if another higher bid has already been entered, the price goes to your bid plus the automatic increment, just like a manual bid. You lose.

If your bid exceeds the current price and the highest bid, but somebody's bid comes in later, they win. You lose.

My Elgin Blog...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information