What drives you?

Thread: What drives you?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thumbs Up What drives you?

Here is something i'm quite interested in.

What drives you to purchase the watches or time pieces that you do?

Is it brand? Age? Condition? Country of origin? Or the watch maker?

For me its and aesthetic thing. I like the look of watches and if it catches my eye then i'll purchase it.

I have approx 100 watches and they are all different brands shapes sizes and age. I like restoring watches. I also like wearing them so i have my daily beaters.

I also like finding a bargain. I live on eBay looking for that elusive watch bargain. And so far i have managed to find some great ones for not much money.

So share your stories here on what drives you to purchase a watch.

Banned

Re: What drives you?

Quote Originally Posted by chadness View Post
    What drives you to purchase the watches or time pieces that you do?
    Mental instability + an almost obsessive compulsive desire to learn about certain brands and calibers.

Quote Originally Posted by ulackfocus View Post
    Mental instability + an almost obsessive compulsive desire to learn about certain brands and calibers.
    That makes two of us.
    Erik_H
    Member NAWCC Chapter 149

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Due to my profession I see a lot, and I don't want to have everything...
    In my personal stock there are more like weirdo's, interesting Frankens, really strange brands, unidentified things and so on, some very interesting fakes, and ofcourse the classics........
    I have a strange taste for the outer edge of what is the mainstream collectible watch/pocketwatch and ofcourse clocks.
    so valuable NO, interesting YES.

nice day,
    RJ van Melle.

Quote Originally Posted by ulackfocus View Post
    Yea,some kind of mental problems probably

igorfiume

Yep, all of the above!! lol

I love a bargain........but generally go for watches I like the look of, especially if I know it's a good quality movement too, but have also been a tad obsessive in the past looking for some nice vintage Tissots, of which I now have one or two

I've always wanted a nice pocket watch, ever since I could tell time at the age of seven. Throughout my childhood, I kept buying cheap watch after cheap watch and wristwatch after wristwatch, but I never really liked any of them. That's when I decided to start studying pocket watches to know what was good and what was bad and how to find a nice vintage pocket watch.

I guess it was the desire to live out a childhood dream and own a nice pocket watch that drove me.
    "Pipes are occasionally of extraordinary interest...nothing has more individuality save, perhaps, watches and bootlaces."

- Sherlock Holmes.

'The Yellow Face'.

I'm mostly driven by a desire to understand and ultimately replicate the mechanics, so I look for watches with movments I haven't torn apart yet; preferably ones in non-working order. It's very satisfying bringing these marvelous devices back to life.
    My growing collection of "affordable" vintages: http://www.abslomrob.com

Quote Originally Posted by AbslomRob View Post
    I'm mostly driven by a desire to understand and ultimately replicate the mechanics, so I look for watches with movments I haven't torn apart yet; preferably ones in non-working order. It's very satisfying bringing these marvelous devices back to life.
    Ahh, a WIS-reanimator! A sign of mental instability if I ever heard of a case.

Seriously - I'd do the same given if I had the skill...

I thought mental instability would play a large factor. I'm still only new at this hobby and have only restored 3 watches so far. Number 4 will be finished today. I love the mechanics of manual watches and even though they are essentially the same (as in function) there are so many differences and variations. I like pulling a watch apart and making it look newish again when other people would just throw it in the rubbish.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information