What a find

Thread: What a find

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

What a find

Hello all
    First let me say that I have always been fascinated by pocket watches, not sure why, just am. Recently my parents introduced me to friend who is a watchmaker. I had told him that I would like to find a nice antique sterling watch. He had said that I should go to a watch show with him some time. A few weeks later I got a call from my dad and said that my mother had found something that I might like while looking for my grandmothers TV remote. He told me to come over. When I got there he said that we need to go by his friend the watchmakers house. On the way he tells me that they had found two pocket watches and had taken them to their friend to check their condition for neither was running. My new friend told me that after a good cleaning that both watches are running. He handed me one that was a Waltham he said it was 125 years old. Then he looked at me with a very serious look and said that this next watch is very special and you are to wear it only on very special occasions. He tells me that this is a Fusee from 1720. I about had a heart attack. To think that this watch has been in the family all this time! Amazing!

Later I did some research on the Fusee and got a little confused. The silver hall marks date it to 1847. I thought how could my friend be wrong about the age. I asked him and he informed me that yes the case was made in the 1840s but the movement is much older

So now I look forward to adding to my new collection and gaining more information about this new hobbie of mine
    Attached Images Attached Images

Last edited by Allen.rkc; May 14th, 2011 at 06:41.

Re: What a find

Welcome...you have come to the right place.

Great story. What a treat to have such nice watches in the family. And you seem to have already jumped a major hurdle of vintage watches - finding a good watchmaker. Of course with a lead in like you gave us everyone here is going to hassle you for pictures (so we can enjoy your watches too).
    Last edited by Paleotime; May 14th, 2011 at 04:51. Reason: grammar!

A great story.

We would all love to see some pictures. By posting some, we can help you date your watch(es) accurately.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

great story and a great find and yes pics would be great esp movements

Yes I will defiantly get some picks up. The Fusee will be a few days , I had to take it back for another cleaning. It would ocastionaly stop running. My friend told me that it is not uncommon to have to clean it a few times to get all the old lubricant out. it runs about 5 min slow, but I guess that aint bad for something thats over 200 years old

thanks for placing the pics on here. But if you join photobucket and upload your pics there and then when you want to put the pics in a thread all you do is copy the img code which is at the bottom of your pic in photobucket then paste it on the thread, this way the pics will be full size

Hi Allen,

sorry to start the fountain of youth once more. If the pics show your Waltham,
    it is after the style of the pendant more likely 100 years old than 125. But the
    movement serial number would allow to determine the precise date of birth.

And yes, 5 minutes daily in either direction would be between luck and sensation
    for a watch from 1720. But keep in mind, watchmakers tend to estimate things
    the older the scarcelier they get them on their table.

My watchmaker is really an excellent repairer, but his age estimations are by
    average some 50% too high. And I guess in a forum like this you'll get better
    historical informations than from an average watchmaker.

Regards, Roland Ranfft

The Waltham is either a 1899 or a 1908 model (model being the first year of production), and as such can't be older than 1899. If you provide the serial number of the movement (not the case) we can identify it accurately for you.
    Erik_H
    Member NAWCC Chapter 149

OK. Im getting the hang of uploading the photos now. Thanks for the words of advice
    But the # on the movement is 22988549

Last edited by Allen.rkc; May 15th, 2011 at 04:08.

It is a Waltham 16 size model 1908, from about 1919/1920. The grade is No. 610, it has 7 jewels and is unadjusted. It was a very popular model with 368600 sold. You can see the model and where it fit in Waltham's model program in this 1917 catalog, lower right corner:
    [ELGIN] Documents and Pictures
    Erik_H
    Member NAWCC Chapter 149

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information