What the heck is this

Thread: What the heck is this

What the heck is this

I bought this watch last week and there is no form of identification anywhere on it including the movement. All that's on it is a serial number on the case and some roman numerals scratched into the edge of the back cover. Any ideas on what it could be.

Re: What the heck is this

I think it might be an old Swiss pin set cylinder watch.Bit hard to tell from the photos, but that's what it looks like to me.

hands :)

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Swiss generic movement from the turn of the century.If you are lucky,maybe youll find some markings under the dial.
    “Thoughts are the shadows of our feelings - always darker, emptier and simpler.”

Friedrich Nietzsche

http://www.portalsatova.com/forum/

While the hands are almost identical I have a hard time Imagining patek making a watch and not putting there name at least on the movement. I'm new to watch collecting and this is the first one I've bought so I'm just hoping it's worth the 45 bucks I spent on it. Are unmarked watches like this commonplace?

If it is a cylinder (which it looks like) it's probably pre-1900. Many of the "big names" in swiss watches weren't as "big" then as they are now, and the industry was structured a bit differently.
    My growing collection of "affordable" vintages: http://www.abslomrob.com

Quote Originally Posted by dravanchad View Post
    While the hands are almost identical I have a hard time Imagining patek making a watch and not putting there name at least on the movement. I'm new to watch collecting and this is the first one I've bought so I'm just hoping it's worth the 45 bucks I spent on it. Are unmarked watches like this commonplace?
    Here is a good rule of thumb- if you think its worth 45$ then it is. I would say you did ok. Another thing to remember, Patek's are copied now and were copied then so get yourself a book and always do serial and value research before you buy-

Un-named cylinder watches are very very common, I have a box full or about 50 and most are junk, but even "junk" sells in the 50$ range in a shop with a good polish and in running order.

Good luck and congrats on the first watch. I still have my first watch from when I was 7- a 11J Elgin from 1886. Some day you may wonder why you bought it as your tastes change- but never part with it-
    Last edited by Tiberius; February 15th, 2010 at 21:01.

Only thing that OP's watch has incommon with Patek is country of origin.IDing watch only by the hads is something new for me.

That type of hands are called Luis XV. hands,and are very common for watches from second half of the 19th century,especially for ladys pendant watches.
    “Thoughts are the shadows of our feelings - always darker, emptier and simpler.”

Friedrich Nietzsche

http://www.portalsatova.com/forum/

Quote Originally Posted by jedanzoom View Post
    That type of hands are called Luis XV. hands,and are very common for watches from second half of the 19th century,especially for ladys pendant watches.
    Noticed that too~Cheers!

Zenith Forum Co-moderator

Well, I have those hands on a Zenith PW from ca. late twenties so maybe that's an unmarked Zenith! Or maybe I have a tampered with Patek....?!?!!

No, seriously, hands are somewhat generic. OK, so Breguet invented his own style but look at how many modern watches have those. I even have great doubts that Patek made their own hands - they probably went to generic suppliers who palmed off ecxactly the same sort of hands to loads of other makers.

Hartmut Richter

Thread Information