What kind of case for this 16s Elgin?

Thread: What kind of case for this 16s Elgin?

What kind of case for this 16s Elgin?

I picked up this 17 jewel Elgin movement for 21 dollars del'd. It runs perfectly and has kept time nicely today. I have never encountered one like this before, where the pendant remains attached to the movement when out of the case ... and am having trouble finding any others like it. I think it was "pair cased". The dial is in great condition, and the engraved dial caught my wife's eye.

Here it is in the listing I bought it from.

eBay - New & used electronics, cars, apparel, collectibles, sporting goods & more at low prices

JDT

Vintage & NAWCC Forum moderator Ben_hutcherson's Avatar

Re: What kind of case for this 16s Elgin?

That more than likely was originally a swing-out case. The inner ring was attached to the rest of the case by a hinge at 3:00 or 9:00, and the two halves of the case joined together by a hinge at 6:00. This isn't considered a pair case because of the hinge-also, with a pair case, normally the inner case has a full back and bezel and not just a ring.

You normally see this sort of set up on low-grade solid gold cases. Gold won't hold threads, and with it having two hinges rather than the normal three, it's less expensive to make. Plus, it saves a lot of gold since the case band is reinforced by the swing ring.

What's happened with yours is that someone has scrapped the rest of the case.
    Member National Association of Watch and Clock Collectors
    Member, NAWCC Chapter 149. Vice President and Secretary NAWCC Chapter 140. Member, NAWCC Convention Committee.
    Serious collector of American pocket watches-Waltham(and the predecessor companies) is my specialty.

Re: What kind of case for this 16s Elgin?

Thanks ...... I couldn't think of "swing out". I knew there was another kind of case ... and my feeble mind kept coming up with "tip out" and that's a house trailer term. No reason this one can't live in a normal style case I don't suppose. It's a little bit vulnerable right now.

Maybe the stem and crown parts from this one will work on the OF Elgin with the heavy arabic numerals? I got an email from the seller of that watch on saturday night, saying it would be shipped out on monday.... so I wait.

JDT

Thread Information