What is it? Laco Pilot?

Thread: What is it? Laco Pilot?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

What is it? Laco Pilot?

I'm not in to vintage pieces by any stretch, but I am in to Pilot watches, and I took a chance on one that appealed to me...sold to me as a WWII Laco "Bomber Pilot" watch, issued to Russian pilots at the time. Whether or not that is a bunch of BS doesn't really matter at this point since the watch is now on my wrist. I'd just like to know what exactly I have here...

Couple of pics from the seller as I have not had a chance to pop the caseback since it arrived this morning...

Anyone know this watch?

TIA!:thanks
    Chad Jensen

Re: What is it? Laco Pilot?

Its modern russian pocket watch converted into wrist watch.It has nothing with "Laco" and even less with WWII.Probably made in Ukraine.
    “Thoughts are the shadows of our feelings - always darker, emptier and simpler.”

Friedrich Nietzsche

http://www.portalsatova.com/forum/

Hehe...thanks...exactly the answer I figured I would get. You got it, from the Ukraine!
    Chad Jensen

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Omega Forum Moderator emmanuelgoldstein's Avatar

Many sellers from Eastern Europe, especially from the Ukraine and Bulgaria specialize in selling these frankenwatches. I am in the process of picking up a Laco from an auction house that was from the WWII era. The price was between $1500 and $2600. The worst part about these sellers is they sucker people into paying this much for fakes. You may get lucky once in a while and find a authentic pilot watch from WWII.
    Last edited by emmanuelgoldstein; June 28th, 2010 at 22:05.
    “Education is the inculcation of the incomprehensible into the indifferent by the incompetent”

-- John Maynard Keynes

Good to know...I didn't pay anywhere near that much (about ten percent of that, actually).

Again, not that it matters, what's done is done, but is $160 a fair price for it? Or did I get ripped?
    Chad Jensen

Quote Originally Posted by c1jensen View Post
    Good to know...I didn't pay anywhere near that much (about ten percent of that, actually).

Again, not that it matters, what's done is done, but is $160 a fair price for it? Or did I get ripped?
    It's an interesting piece with a 15 jewel movement. The movement looks like it may be from Раке́та (Raketa), but I can't be sure. Do you think you paid a fair price for the watch? If it keeps good time and you like the watch for what it is. Then I would say you got a decent deal. If you are wondering in terms of price, maybe not so much. You may want to take a look at Pilot watches from Steinhart. They have a a few different pilot watches that are excellent in my opinion. I have several of them that I have bought over the last 6 months. My favourite is most likely the Steinhart Nav B-Uhr Vintage. They recently released the Nav B II B-Muster which is another great pilot I picked up. Their prices are amazing for the quality watch.
    Last edited by emmanuelgoldstein; June 28th, 2010 at 22:31.
    “Education is the inculcation of the incomprehensible into the indifferent by the incompetent”

-- John Maynard Keynes

Yeah, I've had two Steinharts...the Nav B LSE, and a 47mm Nav B Black Automatik. AWESOME watches.

I'm happy with this one for what it is for now. Vintage Pilot-look, manual wind, keeping really good time so far today. I'll hang on to it for a bit, and see what happens...
    Chad Jensen

Quote Originally Posted by emmanuelgoldstein View Post
    It's an interesting piece with a 15 jewel movement. The movement looks like it may be from Раке́та (Raketa), but I can't be sure. Do you think you paid a fair price for the watch? If it keeps good time and you like the watch for what it is. Then I would say you got a decent deal. If you are wondering in terms of price, maybe not so much. You may want to take a look at Pilot watches from Steinhart. They have a a few different pilot watches that are excellent in my opinion. I have several of them that I have bought over the last 6 months. My favourite is most likely the Steinhart Nav B-Uhr Vintage. They recently released the Nav B II B-Muster which is another great pilot I picked up. Their prices are amazing for the quality watch.

...and in terms of quality, i can't say enough about Stowa's version of these watches. More expensive that Steinhart (which are very nice -- I've got a nice vintage titanium that I dig) but just so nice to handle.

Re: the price...meh, what can you get mechanical watch-wise for 160 bones? It's OK. I'd 'a saved it to put to the purchase of a more expensive piece, but then I got the watch disease......

Quote Originally Posted by LouS View Post
    ...but then I got the watch disease......
    Hehe...don't we all??? LOL!
    Chad Jensen

Quote Originally Posted by LouS View Post
    ...and in terms of quality, i can't say enough about Stowa's version of these watches. More expensive that Steinhart (which are very nice -- I've got a nice vintage titanium that I dig) but just so nice to handle.

Re: the price...meh, what can you get mechanical watch-wise for 160 bones? It's OK. I'd 'a saved it to put to the purchase of a more expensive piece, but then I got the watch disease......
    I have a couple of Stowa's. They feel much different on the wrist then the Steinhart's. I wish they were a bit cheaper though and the wait was less.

-- John Maynard Keynes

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information