What is the most gaudy or over the top looking watch in your collection?
Like Tree105Likes

Thread: What is the most gaudy or over the top looking watch in your collection?

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

What is the most gaudy or over the top looking watch in your collection?

This weekend I got a 1970's Hamilton Atlas Electronic watch from the local pawn shop for a low price. I opened the back of the watch to replace the dead battery and inside was a old Union Carbide 343 mercury battery. I replaced it with a silver oxide 344 battery and the watch fired right up. It has been keeping excellent time (on point with the atomic clock). The watch was made from 1973 to 1977(according to the Hamilton catalogs I found) and has a Hamilton 702 movement in it.

The watch came with its original metal bracelet but the bracelet is too big for me and I have no clue how to size it. The original owner did not know how to do so ether so he just adjusted it to the last micro adjustment hole on the clasp. this has damaged the clasp so it opens to easy. I switched it out for a gold plated mesh band and put the original one away.

Now that I get a good look at the watch with this band, it has to be the most gaudiest watch I own.

So what is the most gaudiest or over the top looking watch in your collection?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Re: What is the most gaudy or over the top looking watch in your collection?

What is the most gaudy watch in my collection? Guess I should be happy I haven't got an answer for that... Although on second thoughts, I do-could well be this one:
    Name:  poljot 1.JPG
Views: 820
Size:  2.11 MB

I've bought that lovely piece of 1970s kitsch at a flea market, it was a bargain... Besides, a wrist alarm- who wouldn't want one? Especially when you can have a desirable complication for the worth of a few packets of smokes (well, I thought so before I managed to finally quit smoking)... The dial was pristine, the plating worn, but no dents or scratches- just rubbed off due to extensive wear, someone must have liked that watch a lot. The alarm is, I jest you not, loud as hell- would wake up a dead man, methinks. Especially when you put it on a wooden surface, it doesn't go easy on the ears.

The movement was all nice and clean, so it was another reason to get it...
    Name:  poljot 3.JPG
Views: 822
Size:  1.70 MB

Fell out of love with it, though. Too gaudy, almost like a knitted tank-top. Dunno, I may sell it or trade it for something else some day, for now it's in the drawer. Guess I have a hard time letting go even a watch that I like the least.
    Name:  poljot 2.JPG
Views: 810
Size:  2.25 MB

Only lacks a gold bracelet- it would make a great part of a "Magpie Starter Pack" if it only had one.
    busmatt, Charon, joeuk and 4 others like this.
    I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it.
    Edgar Allan Poe

If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.
    George Orwell

(...)but that's what mankind is like: they only prize what they no longer possess.
    Erich Maria Remarque

For any inquiries regarding vintage Doxa watches, please read the highlighted text in my vintage Doxa thread. Sorry, but I will not respond to PMs on the matter.

No question.

Name:  IMG_1682.JPG
Views: 781
Size:  94.5 KB

Made even worse by the fact that it was me that put it on a yellow gold Milanese bracelet :p
    brandon\, mkws, busmatt and 5 others like this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

That's an easy one for me, the Lucien Rochat 'Sir Elton' special, the redeeming feature of this watch is that it is powered by a moon-phase 7751. This maker was apparently popular with the Italians.

Name:  elton2- 004.JPG
Views: 831
Size:  885.0 KB
    busmatt and esdy_11192 like this.

I got it NOS in box with the red white and blue strap that unfortunately does not fit me. Great during election season last year.
    busmatt and SilkeN like this.

Year 1970 and year 2016. 1970 just gaudy, 2016 gaudy and stupid, the '60' should be a '00' to make sense.

Last edited by Border-Reiver; February 28th, 2017 at 00:09.
    busmatt, Charon, J C and 1 others like this.

I'd say this qualifies as gaudy.

Name:  rootbeer2.jpg
Views: 735
Size:  115.3 KB
    Bazzab, busmatt, mkws and 5 others like this.
    -- Dan (formerly known as @badbackdan)
    ------- @oldwatchdan on Instagram -------

Rolex.....gawdy? Not. Ok. Maybe a little for a Rolex. Here's my best...

mkws, Charon, badbackdan and 2 others like this.

Easily this Lucien Piccard Seashark.

Name:  20170112_122038.jpg
Views: 761
Size:  144.5 KBName:  20170112_122217.jpg
Views: 706
Size:  127.2 KB
    busmatt likes this.
    Contact Info:
    Telegram: MoT
    Text: 6124245149
    WhatsApp: +16124245149
    'You don't have to burn books to destroy a culture. Just get people to stop reading them.' - Ray Bradbury
    'Freedom is hammered out on the anvil of debate, discussion, and dissent.' - H.H.H.
    I love deals on watches!

I have another hot candidate and possible favorite in the race for the gaudy-champion: A Delma Automatic from the 1970s, NOS.

How do you know a watch is new old stock?

It has been purchased as such in Switzerland (like this one)?
    It has been provably misplaced at a jewelers place or in the warehouse of the manufacturer?
    A watchmaker passed away and had been found years later together with his unsold merchandise?

Well, everything undoubtedly good indications, but this is all topped by this one: A watch is so ugly that is highly plausible that it has not been sold after all those years.

Its impressive size, both long and wide, is only topped by its thickness, largely overtowering the ring on King Henry VIII’s middle finger.

busmatt and esdy_11192 like this.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread Information