What the Omega is this?
Like Tree17Likes

Thread: What the Omega is this?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

What the Omega is this?

I got this odd Omega today and wonder if anyone knows what it was for?

Name:  100041.jpg
Views: 115
Size:  137.6 KB
    It has a true 24h movement inside and a lot of numbers on the dial, shame about the damage.

Name:  100040.jpg
Views: 110
Size:  186.3 KB
    The serial number is 6626572 so it from the 1920's

Re: What the Omega is this?

Quite possibly, it might have been intended for navigation. Theoretically you can find the direction using a watch and the sun (the ability to make any use of it depends entirely on the weather), so maybe that's what the "function" of this watch was.
    Normally, with the elaborate minute scale and a 24h movement I'd assume that it might have been a railroad watch, but primo-it's not a railroad grade movement, secundo- the cardinal directions would rule that out. Aviation? Navigation at sea? The latter looks even sort of plausible to me, but still, it's not exactly a marine chronometer...
    Shum, SilkeN and busmatt like this.
    I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it.
    Edgar Allan Poe

If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.
    George Orwell

(...)but that's what mankind is like: they only prize what they no longer possess.
    Erich Maria Remarque

For any inquiries regarding vintage Doxa watches, please read the highlighted text in my vintage Doxa thread. Sorry, but I will not respond to PMs on the matter.

I also got a different Omega at the same time.

Name:  100042.jpg
Views: 100
Size:  125.9 KB
    Well I didn't know it was a Omega as it doesn't say so on the dial.

It says "W.A. LANDQVIST. Sala. IMP" on the dial.

Name:  100043.jpg
Views: 100
Size:  185.1 KB
    Omega is clear to read on the movement but no serial number so is it on the dial side?
    Last edited by Shum; February 24th, 2016 at 20:22.
    busmatt likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quite likely on the dial side indeed. As to the 24h scale in red, looks like a decal added later (not by Omega). With the serial on the dial side, you'd be looking at production dates somewhere in the early 1900s.
    Shum and busmatt like this.
    I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it.
    Edgar Allan Poe

If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.
    George Orwell

(...)but that's what mankind is like: they only prize what they no longer possess.
    Erich Maria Remarque

For any inquiries regarding vintage Doxa watches, please read the highlighted text in my vintage Doxa thread. Sorry, but I will not respond to PMs on the matter.

Quote Originally Posted by mkws View Post
    Quite likely on the dial side indeed. As to the 24h scale in red, looks like a decal added later (not by Omega). With the serial on the dial side, you'd be looking at production dates somewhere in the early 1900s.
    Yes you are right it's a dacal as you feel the bump with a pair of tweezers.

HI Shum,
    mkws is right if you use the lokal time (not time zome as usual nowadays) you can use it direktly as suncompass (might google "astrolabe"). Maybe as an personal addition to the main exact chronometer on board. Very nice peace. I love it .

THe other one get their decal probably after 1900. With the beginning from railroad plans, shift work etc. the 24 hour division gets useful and a sign of moderness. Most of the pocket watches in this aera get this decal. In the years before 24 hours excist of course but nobody use it.

Regards Silke
    Shum, busmatt and mkws like this.
    That's what I think about today:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vlUGeY7MWVo

Zenith Forum Co-moderator

The principle is that you point the hour hand at the sun and you can read off the four directions (N-S-E-W) on the dial. A similar principle works with an ordinary 12-hour watch too but you need to then divide the arc between the hour hand and 12:00 to give you a direction which always points towards south, and you need to know which arc you need to divide (the smaller or the greater one) depending on whether it's e.g. 6:00 or 18:00.....

Hartmut Richter
    Shum and busmatt like this.

Always something new to learn here at the forums.

I have never seen one like this but then I don't really collect pocket watches and I hope anyone that buys it can either fix the dial or live with it.

It's been forgotten in a box for over 40 years and I now know what it's for and might make some collector happy.
    Last edited by Shum; February 24th, 2016 at 22:35.

Zenith Forum Co-moderator

Excelsior Park made a chronograph movement with a central "North" hand that worked in a similar way: point the hour hand at the sun and the "North" hand (essentially a 24-hour hand on a 12-hour watch) would always point north.....

Imgur: The most awesome images on the Internet

Hartmut Richter

That is darn cool.

I must find out my local time and test it out.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information