What are places to pick up some old watches?
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: What are places to pick up some old watches?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

What are places to pick up some old watches?

I am not looking for eBay suggestions nor am i looking for a spot where i could possibly find some forgotten daytona for cheap. But i just wondered where you go looking for some inspiring old stuff? Yard sales, drift shop? Thanks.

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone met Tapatalk
    SAFETY WARNING: Above writings are produced by an individual with mental health issues.

Re: What are places to pick up some old watches?

Here in the USA, I have surprisingly good luck at coin shops, which sell old coins and precious metals. They are below the radar of most watch guys. I have found a few excellent deals and many okay ones, too.
    There is something more to the art of watchmaking and repairing than that of merely assembling a watch and making it 'tick.'
    ---Walter Kleinlein, Rules and Practice for Adjusting Watches (1940)

Member, National Association of Watch and Clock Collectors

My blog about precision timing: AdjustingVintageWatches.com

sammysy likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

I have read a lot of threads from guys who surf " Shopgoodwill.com " online auctions. You may have to kiss a lot of frogs before you find your Prince, but it might be a Rolex Prince.

Private garage sales, carboot sales, thrift shops - flea markets held by scouts or sportsclubs are the best, as they don't spend much time finding out what they are selling.

Not that I'm trying to scare you away, but Goodwill's auctions are no secret. In my opinion, I think there are just as much watch hunters there, as there are on ebay. In fact, I'll go so far as to say that you'll probably find a better deal on ebay, but you will have to look for days upon days. It seems like this idea of Goodwill being a little-known bargain site actually works to our disadvantage. I've gotten what I would consider bargains on 3 of my 4 ebay watches, but I'm looking very hard and with specific criteria when I decide to buy, and I don't buy often either. I'm always looking though. It's a disease.
    I honestly think the only bargains left in vintage watches are in the private market.
    You'll have the best luck looking at thrifts, flea markets, garage sales, pawn shops, coin shops, and antique stores. It's what I've always been told and believed. Unfortunately for me, I've never had any luck at any of those, but it doesn't stop my from looking there any less. My 3 local thrifts never have watches, and two local antique stores just has a few that are all ridiculously overpriced. I go to garage sales like crazy, but with no results. I'm at a thrift store three times a week on average. Granted I live in a town of 27k, you will probably have better luck in a bigger city.

In general, I think the public has started to get a better idea of value from using the internet. I think the truest bargains can only be found in watches with mistaken precious metal content and in plain looking, unassuming watches. Give it any engraving on the case, or add some term on the dial like incabloc, automatic, Swiss Made, Rolex, or some non-English name, and people suddenly think they have an rare and expensive antique. But if you're looking for a Rolex, good luck.

Remember, all bargains are merely subjective and can influenced by time and luck.
    Last edited by CC Texas; August 29th, 2017 at 00:15.
    badbackdan and pronstar like this.
    "A watch is ruined, not by time, but by bad handling. To run well it should be wound regularly, cleaned yearly, and, if injured, taken to a competent, practical man. A ​Waltham watch properly cared for will last a lifetime." -American Waltham Watch Co. Catalog (c) 1900
    “When your watch gets out of order you have a choice of two things to do: throw it in the fire or take it to the watch-tinker. The former is the quickest.” -Mark Twain

My experience with Shopgoodwill.com is that you will pay retail for vintage watches. I think shoppers think they are getting a deal because the brick and mortar Goodwill sells used items at a steep discount. Not so with its online bidding system offering desirable items that the hordes can access. I will also say that when you buy a vintage watch at that site there is a very good chance it will all or almost all original with a low likelihood of redials. The reason is that these watches have likely been in drawers for decades and are donated from estates. So, you will pay retail, but there is a good chance you are buying a watch that is authentic and has not been modified much or at all.
    badbackdan likes this.

pawnshops, ebay, IG, garage sales but mostly good vintage i think IG people post frequently and imo instagram users are wearing their pieces and once either tired or wanting a new one tend to sell so IG, if you want cheap unknown condition then garage sales, pawshops and coinshops are also good dont forget the craigs list adds, many out there.

good luck!!

No question. Church sales especially ones for charity or missions. They know nothing about watches, price then cheap, and it all goes to a great cause. But be sure to be first in line. Now this posting will self destruct.....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by jimdon5822 View Post
    No question. Church sales especially ones for charity or missions. They know nothing about watches, price then cheap, and it all goes to a great cause. But be sure to be first in line. Now this posting will self destruct.....

Here's a newbie question: which sources do you use to identify upcoming church sales/ garage sales / yard sales / estate sales / flea markets etc.? Is this stuff all done online these days, or do people still use local classified ads?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information