What spring bars to use for this?
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By simpletreasures
  • 1 Post By journeyforce

Thread: What spring bars to use for this?

What spring bars to use for this?

So I have had this watch for a while and finally got around to wearing it. I was wondering what spring bars are correct for this type of lug? The bars I have are too skinny and fall out of the hole. My watchmaker suggested fat spring bars that fit but I am worried that they may wear the lug holes down and become bigger?
    Name:  20190705_183158_resized.jpg
Views: 43
Size:  161.7 KBName:  20190705_183215_resized.jpg
Views: 40
Size:  69.7 KB

Re: What spring bars to use for this?

Hard to tell with pictures not showing the spring bars but because it has drilled lugs, maybe shoulderless bars wound work.
    Always give a word or a sign of salute when meeting or passing a friend, even a stranger, when in a lonely place. Show respect to all people and grovel to none.

My watchmaker suggested fat spring bars that fit but I am worried that they may wear the lug holes down and become bigger?
    He's given you good advise, and no the fatter spring bars probably won't wear out the lug holes, at least in our lifetime.
    Mirius likes this.
    A friend is truly a prize indeed, others not so much. So if I lead you believe you're in the latter, please read........
    http://markmanson.net/internet

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

DON

Standard spring bars are 1.8 mm. If they're currently 1.8 mm. Someone may have drilled out the lug holes to make them wider

Fat spring bars tend to be 2.5 mm, but don't think you have enough lug space to fit them and a strap as they will move strap closer to the case due to thickness

DON

I think the watchmaker meant a thicker body springbar and not a bigger tip one.

On my Bulova watch like that one, I use a 1.8mm thick springbar with ether a double flange(those collar looking things at each end) or a 1.8mm thick single or double shoulder spring bar
    simpletreasures likes this.

Journeyforce, check PM’s please 😎
    "Well, once again we find that clowns and anarchy don't mix..." ~ The Tick

My watchmaker did indeed put shoulder less spring bars in the watch and they clicked in nicely. Only problem is that as you can see in the picture the top strap is crooked, not sure why, the lugs are not bent? Also, would a tapered strap be period correct for a watch like this?

From the picture, it looks like the right upper lug, at 1 o'clock, looks to be bent inwards. All the rest look straight
    Always give a word or a sign of salute when meeting or passing a friend, even a stranger, when in a lonely place. Show respect to all people and grovel to none.

As has been already said, it has a slightly bent lug.
    I am sure that the watch has seen many adventures in its day.

It probably left the factory with a leather strap but probably left the Bulova store with a expansion band(which was the style of that era)

I am not talking about the hair pulling one band fits many sizes type of expansion band of the 1970's and 1980's but of the one size only version. It would have gotten a 16mm (or whatever the inches equivalent was) expansion band.

Here are a couple of mine with this type of expansion band. These have got to be 60 or 70 years old and no inner lug wear to the watch.
    Attached Images Attached Images

The design of the Speidel dates it to no earlier than the early 60s. The "Twist-O-Flex" was introduced in 1959.
    Don't take life so serious, son. It ain't nohow permanent - Pogo

My Elgin Blog...

Thread Information