What was waiting for me when I got home yesterday.....
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: What was waiting for me when I got home yesterday.....

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

What was waiting for me when I got home yesterday.....

Been away this week and came home to find a few packages waiting for me.

The first package contained a very nice job lot... all 3 watches are great quality!

Some of you may have seen this job lot?

For me, it was the Borgel style watch that initial stood out..... sold as a non runner, with no movement pics! I had hopes and assumptions on what was going to be inside.... which this time paid off.

This was the first watch I looked at... so here are some pics (as arrived)

The hairline cracks to the dial could be seen in the listing... but I hoped these would clean up ok (coming to that in a bit)

The case back is fully signed and dating to 1914/15.... the CN sponsors mark confirming what I was hoping for...

An IWC 64 cal movement inside.... and apart from what appears to be a damaged balance staff, the movement looks in good shape.

The picture showing the dial back may have already giving some of you a clue of what I am going to say about the cleaning of the dial.....

First, I soaked the dial in hot soapy water.... when retrieving the dial from its bath, I was confronted with 2 part...

I have seen (and think own) a couple of watches that appear to have set in sub dials, and from speaking to my watch guy, informs me this is more common on pocket watches! The hot water must have released the adhesive holding it in place.... this was a new one on me, but can be easily rectified.

Today this is leaving me to go to be repaired and serviced....

The dial cleaning was partly successful and gives an indication of what should be returning....

Not had the time to properly look at and photograph the others... but they are both very nice (more to follow)

Marc
    Last edited by Sparcster; May 18th, 2013 at 10:27.
    Emre, radger, Marrick and 2 others like this.
    A designer knows he has achieved perfection not when there is nothing left to add, but when there is nothing left to take away...

Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Twitter: quickpicmarc

Re: What was waiting for me when I got home yesterday.....

Sweet
    Enjoy
    From my side I am only looking -->buying pre 1910 Borgels.
    That said I never found one yet!!!

I presume you saw noted the "CN" stamp . These are the initials of Charles Nicholet, Stauffer's managing director. ( Stauffer was IWC's British agent at the time, based at 13 Charterhouse Street, Holborn, London).
    NEVER ARGUE WITH AN IDIOT. FIRST THEY WILL DRAG YOU DOWN TO THEIR LEVEL. THEN, THEY WILL BEAT YOU WITH EXPERIENCE.

"Failure is not an option" - Gene Kranz
    "Owning a vintage watch is great, understanding where it sits in Horology is magnificent"
    and
    "By Teaching Others, We Teach Ourselves"
    Adam

I like your this-kind posts, thank you for sharing. Great finds.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Nice one.

I see this I.W.C Cal 64 has the screwed in chatons, don't you have another with the jewels
    set without chatons? Now you have both types.
    Looks to be in nice condition, inset subdials are held with shellac which is softened by heat,
    it is easily 'glued' back in with shellac.

Quote Originally Posted by HOROLOGIST007 View Post

I presume you saw noted the "CN" stamp .
    Hi Adam... the listing had no movement or inside case shots...

All the info I had to go on was....

2 x silver cased wristwatches with enamel faces.
    They measure 1.3" diameter and 1.1" diameter.There is also an early base metal example measuring 1.25" diameter.The larger silver example is sold as not working.The other 2 appear to work ok. Accuracy unknown.

There were a few close up shots (front and back) of all 3 watches. Lucky for me the seller did not decide to open up any of the watches.

As for pre 1910... As you have seen before, I only own one! Davids Boettcher's IWC 1906 is the earliest I have seen...
    A designer knows he has achieved perfection not when there is nothing left to add, but when there is nothing left to take away...

Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Quote Originally Posted by radger View Post
    I see this I.W.C Cal 64 has the screwed in chatons, don't you have another with the jewels
    set without chatons?
    Well (freakily) remembered... my 18k gold IWC does not have 'screw in' chantons...

Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Vint. Forum Co-Moderator Mirius's Avatar

Was this the listing where the bracelet watch has a Rolex style screwback? There was an auction like this that went way out of my budget last week where I wondered if the other was a Taubert type 2 case. But I thought that was silver too.

Quote Originally Posted by Mirius View Post
    Was this the listing where the bracelet watch has a Rolex style screwback? There was an auction like this that went way out of my budget last week where I wondered if the other was a Taubert type 2 case. But I thought that was silver too.
    It was that listing....

certainly was not 'cheap'.... Just over £200.

Its actually a 'Enversteel' screw case (looks similar to early oysters)... but is a lovely Universal Geneve. Will add some pics later!

The ladies... which really did not interest me is a very nice Stauffer watch.

Off out now... so will elaborate later!

Marc

Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Nice catch. Enjoy!

Congrats on your find, wonder why the dial was done in two parts like that, I would of thought it would be one full piece. Must be a logical reason for that.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information