What watch is the this? Vintage Ladies Asian Watch (Not used for 50 years, keeps good time)

Thread: What watch is the this? Vintage Ladies Asian Watch (Not used for 50 years, keeps good time)

Question What watch is the this? Vintage Ladies Asian Watch (Not used for 50 years, keeps good time)

Hi all,

Long time reader, first-time poster.

I was fortunate enough to receive my Great, Great Grandma's watch from my Grandmother today.

I received the piece on a few days ago. I haven't managed to find any information online whatsoever. I wound it up carefully and it has gained 60 seconds in 25 hours. It has not ever been wound by my Grandmother, and she received the watch when she was quite young. I'm quite impressed by the little 16 jewel movement.

Any information about the dating of this piece, its origin, etc etc would be highly appreciated.

Thank you in advance.
    Name:  Grandmas watch front.jpg
Views: 122
Size:  1.16 MBName:  Movement.jpg
Views: 113
Size:  922.4 KB

Re: What watch is the this? Vintage Ladies Asian Watch (Not used for 50 years, keeps good time)

Not an Asian watch but very much Swiss made for the Pre-Communist Chinese market.

My wife who is Chinese says the characters read from right to left (as was customary during that time) and are pronounced "Li An" which is an approximation of the maker's name. This is similar to how Bovet also had their name transliterated on their dials using Chinese characters.
    Check out my "Watch of the Week" on Instagram.

Re: What watch is the this? Vintage Ladies Asian Watch (Not used for 50 years, keeps good time)

Thank you so much for that information Eric. Genuinely appreciate the time you and your wife took to answer my question.

My Grandmother too will be delighted to read your response!

Regards,
    Reuben

Quote Originally Posted by Grégoire View Post
    Not an Asian watch but very much Swiss made for the Pre-Communist Chinese market.

My wife who is Chinese says the characters read from right to left (as was customary during that time) and are pronounced "Li An" which is an approximation of the maker's name. This is similar to how Bovet also had their name transliterated on their dials using Chinese characters.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Schoots View Post
    Thank you so much for that information Eric. Genuinely appreciate the time you and your wife took to answer my question.

My Grandmother too will be delighted to read your response!

Regards,
    Reuben
    Sure thing!

Here's a vintage Swiss-made Bovet also made for the Chinese market that similarly uses Chinese character for their name.

Name:  Capture-05.JPG
Views: 26
Size:  25.5 KB

Bovet had a very strong presence in China to the extent that the word "Bovet" became synonymous with pocket watch during the late 1800s and early 1900s. The brand still pays tribute to this heritage with their modern offerings as well.

Name:  Capture-06.JPG
Views: 26
Size:  30.9 KB
    Check out my "Watch of the Week" on Instagram.

Thread Information