what watches are rare in parts of the world and plentiful inother parts?

Thread: what watches are rare in parts of the world and plentiful inother parts?

what watches are rare in parts of the world and plentiful inother parts?

I had a thought. I go to places and find watches that have traveled from all over the world and that is nice with vintage because there is time for it to move. However some brands seem to stay more local or are entirely outsourced. I am in Canada and I seem to do well with my collecting from Europe and the us. Is it as simple as going to a major city nike Toronto or new York to get what ever my heart desires?

Re: what watches are rare in parts of the world and plentiful inother parts?

With respect to Japanese watches, there are many desirable models and even brands that were rarely if ever sold outside of Asia. Credor, Grand and King Seiko for example. Also heavy import tariffs in the U.S. caused for a period of time watches with over 17 jewels to cease to be exported to the country or exported less frequently. De-jeweled versions of movements or export market cased versions were created to avoid these tariffs. So, it is not quite as simple as going to a major city to get what you want and with some models you may want to pay attention to whether you are getting an export or an import version of a watch.

It depends on what you're looking for. Keep in mind that for the past 100 years or so, watch movements have been mass produced, so you tend to find the same movements in watches all over the world, but with region-specific models and names designed to appeal to local tastes, sensibilities and not infrequently politics. For instance, there have been many places that would restrict the import of whole watches, but would allow parts to be imported and assembled locally. These watches aren't fundamentally different then the ones sold in other places, but the quality can very widely.

Another thing to keep in mind that there has been a steady stream of people immigrating from other parts of the world, usually taking their watches with them. So to some degree, yes you're liable to find literally anything if you dig deep enough in a big city. Bit hit or miss though.
    My growing collection of "affordable" vintages: http://www.abslomrob.com

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Hi pals!! Interesting question .

here´s an example : In Mexico you can find plenty of Haste vintage watches (20´s - 70´s), a brand almost unknown for many of you, that´s for sure.
    They beared in many cases very fine movements from the most known ebauches factories : Venus, Valjoux, AS, Buren , Felsa and so on. I think they were cased in Swiss and in other instances in Mexico..

here´s one , recently advertised from a known dealer

Haste Triple Date Moonphase @ WatchesToBuy.com

There are examples of models that were exact clones from other brands : e.g Jenny Caribean.
    Moreover there are some chronographs signed in the bridge Leonidas -Haste that are as similar and good as many overpriced Heuers

saludos

kingmatic

The brand was so popular

I have a collection of at least 15 different models

Banned

The internet, specifically eBay, has leveled the playing field to the point that there is no regional rarities anymore. For example, if I want a JDM (Japanese Domestic Market) only model I can get one delivered to my door without leaving the comfort of my home. I can even wear pajamas when ordering it.

Is it possible that you can still find some regional rarities on places like antique shops or pawn shops because some "old school" owners don't use the bay?

I don't know much about vintage watches (I'm here to learn), however I know abit about Seiko. The place to go for Seiko is the Philippines. Any model that has been recently discontinued in Europe and the USA will still be available in shops in the Philippines years after. Also if you need any vintage Seiko, chances are you'll find plenty of them in the Philippines. The watchmakers there have wisened up to this, and they regularly sell refurbished and original Seiko watches on eBay. Some watchuseek members living in the Philippines also sell watches to other members here.

Also if you're after JDM only watches, there are 3 Japanese AD's who sell over the internet to customers abroad.

So yes, the internet sure leveled up the playing field, at least for Seiko and JDM watches.
    Cataratas do Iguaçu, Brazil => http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-9KyiwSscdo

Thread Information