What Would You Buy From 1959

Thread: What Would You Buy From 1959

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

What Would You Buy From 1959

Over the years I've always thought that I wanted to buy a watch from my birth year, 1959. Ideally the watch would have some sort of horological significance and have been first introduced in 1959 or last produced in 1959. Ideally I'd like something casual or sporty as opposed to dressy, so it can be worn with jeans and a t-shirt.

So far the leading idea I've come up with is a Rolex 5512 Submariner. Anybody got any better ideas?

TIA!

Banned

Re: What Would You Buy From 1959

Longines Conquest Power Reserve caliber 294, first offered to the public in 1959. Top of the line, and the 29x series is IMO the best they offered in that era. A big step down iin price would be some kind of Longines Admiral with a front loading 1200 series case, which was also first offered around that time. They usually came with 34x series movements which were just coming out then too (or thereabouts).

Hi there!

I can't help you with that but I've the exact same question: what should I buy from my birth year? In my case, I was born in 1982. I don't know if you can already call it a vintage... Any sugestions?
    I mainly like dress watches but I would like to have also something that you can wear with more casual clothes...
    My collection - so far - it's a 1951 dress Longines, a 60's Russian Raketa, a modern quartz CK, a modern quartz Timex Chronograph and a Suunto.

P.S.: Now that I think about it, sorry for messing with your thread, Ray916MN...
    Last edited by tintasuja; December 18th, 2010 at 01:32.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by tintasuja View Post
    what should I buy from my birth year? In my case, I was born in 1982.
    Weren't those "gummy" Swatch watches out then? I was in highschool and think they were the rage around that time.

I would like something a little higher above Swatch. I'm not a fan of them. Never was...

v76

How about the IWC Ingenieur 766AD (87661) with the cal. 8531 introduced in 1959?

(borrowed image)
    Last edited by v76; December 18th, 2010 at 02:08.
    Collection:
    A few of this and some of the other ...

"I worked my way up from nothing to a state of extreme poverty" - Groucho Marx

Banned

I would like something a little higher above Swatch. I'm not a fan of them. Never was...
    Okay - how about a two tone Rolex DateJust? They were just becoming popular then.

That's a nice watch, Ulackfocus. But I'm afraid that it's a bit to high... I like less known brands... I'm picky... Sorry :)

Banned

That's a nice watch, Ulackfocus. But I'm afraid that it's a bit to high... I like less known brands... I'm picky... Sorry :)
    Okay then, how about an Omega Seamaster with an integrated bracelet? They had some ss versions that came with 101x and 102x calibers that can be found in mint condition for less than $650.

That Omega looks nice. I'll keep looking... Anything interesting going on Rado, Orient, Tissot, Lanco, Longines, around 82?
    Last edited by tintasuja; December 18th, 2010 at 03:31.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread Information