What's wrong with this old Timex quartz?
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By RonD.

Thread: What's wrong with this old Timex quartz?

Question What's wrong with this old Timex quartz?

I just acquired this nifty old Timex quartz. It's working, but it has some problems and I'd love some advice on what to do.

First, I had to struggle a bit to remove the old battery. When I popped in the new one, it wouldn't stay in place. It kept popping out. I finally held it on the best I could and quickly screwed on the caseback to hold it into place. Is there a trick to getting the battery to stay in place?

Then I noticed the second hand would periodically pause for a 1-3 seconds. Sometimes it even goes backward by a second. I watched it for a while and I'm not able to discern a solid pattern. But it seems to stop and start near the top of the hour more often then at other positions. What might cause this?

I thought I'd take out the movement and see if there's a problem with the way the hands are attached, but I can't figure out how to remove the stem. Anyone know how?

If I need to replace the movement, does anyone know what type this is and/or whether I can replace it with a modern movement (or an old one salvaged from another watch)?

Re: What's wrong with this old Timex quartz?

Maybe the battery moved and the back was screwed on too tight? I'd try putting the battery back in and hold it down with a small piece of tape on one side (don't cover the pivots). Then lightly screw the back on just to see if it works. You can even test it by holding the battery in place with your finger with the back off just to see if adding pressure makes it stop.

I can't read what it says on the movement but movements for those are available and usually pretty cheap.
    busmatt likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by RonD. View Post
    Maybe the battery moved and the back was screwed on too tight? I'd try putting the battery back in and hold it down with a small piece of tape on one side (don't cover the pivots). Then lightly screw the back on just to see if it works. You can even test it by holding the battery in place with your finger with the back off just to see if adding pressure makes it stop.
    Tried that and I'm afraid the problem persists. Even when I open the back and gently hold the battery in with my finger just deep enough to make a contact, the second hand still stops periodically.

Quote Originally Posted by RonD. View Post
    I can't read what it says on the movement but movements for those are available and usually pretty cheap.
    I'd gladly swap out the movement, but I can't figure out how to identify it, presuming they still make them (it is a pretty old watch).

Anyone that has any tips on how to identify the movement, I'd love to hear from you!

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Dave098 View Post

I'd gladly swap out the movement, but I can't figure out how to identify it, presuming they still make them (it is a pretty old watch).

Anyone that has any tips on how to identify the movement, I'd love to hear from you!
    A good starting point would be to post some high resolution photos and the exact dimensions.
    -- Dan (formerly known as @badbackdan)
    ------- @oldwatchdan on Instagram -------

It could just be some dirt trapped in some pivot and one uses a demagnetizer to force the hands to move much faster and then the dirt most often will pop out.
    https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_f...p2045573.m1684

Quote Originally Posted by Shum View Post
    It could just be some dirt trapped in some pivot and one uses a demagnetizer to force the hands to move much faster and then the dirt most often will pop out.
    Thanks, but I tried that and no luck. I even pulled out the movement, removed the hands, and replaced them and still no success.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave098 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by badbackdan View Post
    A good starting point would be to post some high resolution photos and the exact dimensions.
    I pulled out the movement and took some photos in hopes someone can help me identify it and point me in the right direction to get a replacement. I don't have a caliper to get the precise height and pinion measurements, but the body of the movement is 21mmx24mm.

I've noted all if the markings I can make out. The only number I can see on the movement is 807, which appears in the battery compartment.

Name:  timex1.jpg
Views: 107
Size:  345.8 KB

Name:  timex2.jpg
Views: 110
Size:  341.9 KB
    Last edited by Dave098; November 24th, 2017 at 18:11. Reason: Fixed typo

Thread Information