When is an Aquastar an Aquastar
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: When is an Aquastar an Aquastar

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

When is an Aquastar an Aquastar

Since my obsession began with buying/researching vintage watches one brand that is an anomaly to me is the aquastar brand. I know it started in the sixties with the famous benthos watch and still exists today in making quartz sailing watches but almost all the watches in between seem to be co branded with makes such as Heuer,Tissot,Duward , JeanRichard and so forth. So, if I buy a Tissot aquastar or a Duward Aquastar am I buying an aquastar rebranded eg,. Duward to sell in Spain or am I buying in this example a Duward .
    I noticed that the Duward aquastar 20atm looks almost exactly the same as the JeanRichard aquastar 20 atm.
    I have also noticed that the regate watch designed by Aquastar with the lemania 1345 movement was sold under the brands, Aquastar,Tissot,Omega,Heuer and others - very confusing

Re: When is an Aquastar an Aquastar

I don't know much about the exact provenance of the Aquastar name, but others will.

There was a close family relationship between Omega, Tissot and Lemania in the past; it's complicated to unpick exactly when and where they worked together, but there are many instances of shared movements sold under different brand names – one that comes to mind is the Omega 2481 and Tissot 1481, which are more or less the same, although the Tissot movement sells for a fraction of the Omega one (I'm talking from a parts point of view here). If you have look around the Ranfft database, you'll see these shared movements listed. Lemaina 1340 = Tissot 2170, for example.

I can understand where brands share movements and designs but aquastar seems to have shared its name with unrelated brands although I think there was a relationship with jeanrichard at some stage. Perhaps thats why the jeanrichard dive watches are now called aquascope instead of aquastar!
    If I wanted to collect aquastar can I say a jeanrichard aquastar is an aquastar

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Hmmm. I hear you. I presume that the name must be trademarked, and therefore there must be (or was) a corporate link. There are different sources showing various brands ownerships and so on, and so I presume that this illustrates a brand name being marketed in different jurisdictions. Personally, I think it's more important to follow the movement than the name on the dial, but it does get complicated as anything. The name Aquastar by itself has no meaning in its own self, if that's what you're asking, though.

Banned
    According to Accutronitis and his BFF I live in Berkshire, but really I live in Derbyshire

Couple of vintage ads.

Name:  x1963.jpg
Views: 1073
Size:  41.3 KBName:  PubAquastar1970.jpg
Views: 961
Size:  50.0 KB

Sorry I can't be more help.
    Molliedooker likes this.

Now there's an add I have never seen thanks.
    Oh I wish you had not given me the idea of reseaching watches with the same movements. What great idea.
    Perhaps Lemania 1340. I think Lemania was absorbed by Swatch and binned.
    Last edited by Molliedooker; October 6th, 2014 at 14:04.

OK ,in reading the above add at the very end it says that aquastar is distributed in the US by Heuer.
    So perhaps the answer is the distributor in each country ended up adding their name.
    eg, Heuer in US , Duward in Spain , Tissot Aquastar know was only sold in the South Pacific.

Banned
    According to Accutronitis and his BFF I live in Berkshire, but really I live in Derbyshire

Quote Originally Posted by Molliedooker View Post
    OK ,in reading the above add at the very end it says that aquastar is distributed in the US by Heuer.
    So perhaps the answer is the distributor in each country ended up adding their name.
    eg, Heuer in US , Duward in Spain , Tissot Aquastar know was only sold in the South Pacific.
    So the ads did help!
    So much info can be gleaned from the vintage ads, once you can tear your eyes away from the pretty pictures!
    Bob.

Zenith Forum Co-moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Molliedooker View Post
    I think Lemania was absorbed by Swatch and binned.
    They were most certainly absorbed by the Swatch group. They were, however, not binned thereafter but instead redesignated "Nouvelle Lemania". After that, they were assigned to Breguet to make movements exclusively for them and have now been renamed the "Manufacture Breguet".

Hartmut Richter
    Molliedooker and kazrich like this.

Thanks bobbee,
    Seems a pity to "rebrand" a movement like lemania which by all accounts had a long history and quality name.
    Swatch really did absorb a lot of watch companies over the years including those who made movements only.
    AS ,ETA, Lemania and no doubt others . Great info .
    bobbee likes this.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information