When does an innocent hobby turn into a full blown addiction?
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: When does an innocent hobby turn into a full blown addiction?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

When does an innocent hobby turn into a full blown addiction?

Gent,

I have titled this 'When'... it could have easily started 'How'....

Last night I found myself spending £100 (last of my Paypal account) on 3 vintage watches...

Now, I started collecting (innocently) a few years back when I bought a Damas jump hour (which i have never worn as it never been up and running for more than an hour or 2) off Fleebay. I quite quickly found myself with a selection 70s watches.. mostly seikos, as they seemed to be very stylish for the period and with a larger case which was not too far away from modern watches.... plus, I could get a work horse seiko auto for under £40.

I also found I could buy a few extra watches which I could clean up and sell on for a small profit, which was a nice way of funding my Hobby.

Last night I found myself spending £100 (last of my Paypal account) on 3 vintage watches...

After my quick fired spending last night, I saw I had made 52 purchases in the last 60 days... which equaled 48 watches, 6 straps and 1 book on watch repair... this is far away from my 4 -5 watches a month...

How did this happen? could it be the forum??

Since posting more on the Vintage forum... I have found myself traveling further back through watch history and not just looking for 70s watches... could it be that my eyes have been opened to a wider selection... more temptation?

My name is Marc, and I am a Vintage watch addict...
    A designer knows he has achieved perfection not when there is nothing left to add, but when there is nothing left to take away...

Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Twitter: quickpicmarc

Re: When does an innocent hobby turn into a full blown addiction?

finally you have said it, been wanting to tell you for ages now, but you would be in denial lol. just do what i did and spend all your money on 3 omegas, then again i still keep looking and buying damn these forums

Ha, so you've only just noticed then?? lol

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

A few years ago I counted around 200 watches in my collection (not counting the 1000 waiting in 8 shoe boxes that need repair). I promised my self that I would thin the collection down to 100.... and a year later had 300!!!!

I started with Timex, then moved on to 17 and 21 jewel watches, old and really old pocket watches, then obsessed over bumper automatics, and eventually started also refinishing clocks and clock cases!

One nice thing Marc, was that when I eventually got enough discipline to start thinning out the collection, I was able to use that money to purchase some really beautiful high end Omega's... or was that a bad thing!? Sell off 30 watches and buy one killer one? I think I just started another problem. haha Ron

Hi, my name is FV I am a watch addict, I have a habit of 2 or 3 watches a month sometimes it's worse, I have given my wife the credit cards, and asked her to keep me away from coin fund.
    I have more Antique watches than I have arm space, but it's a growing addiction....

I got this. It started with the occasional purchase of 25 dollars at an antique store or second hand shop. Then with the help of (ya help) of this forum I began calling stores making the appointment searching for hours on what I bought. Spending an hour a week at the watch shop that is not next door. Driving in a snow storm to get a watch at the shop that did not get enough oil. Getting a second watch maker because the first takes too long. Spending at least an hour a day on the bay. After a year I am up to 5-10 watches a month. All types of mechanical watches from $2 to $35. I am not an omega kind of collector. The only cure is a free hobby which I have. however that hobby makes money which makes me buy more watches. Oh no.

You never hear people talking about passion anymore, since when did passion (which is a good thing) become generally thought of as addiction (which is a bad thing)?

I am passionate about vintage watches. There have been times that I have got on average a watch a day over a period month or two. At the moment I am in a lull, which is also quite nice.

Surely it is only an addiction if you are in danger of losing your house, starving your kids, having your wife leave - and you're still doing it.

Passion. Embrace it. No matter what it is.

Otherwise you may as well be dead.

My name is Eeeb and I am a watch addict.

I realized I had become a watch addict when I got to know my mailman on a first name basis and the people at the post office stopped asking for ID on what I thought were the rare occasions when I had to pick up a watch there. I guess they weren't too rare... LOL

Trim is right. You have to do what you like or you are dying... and I'm old enough to appreciate that!
    "Forever is composed of nows." - Emily Dickinson

"The watch has to be surrounded by a history.
    You need more than just a great design. You need to create an atmosphere around the product.
    Who is the company behind it? Why are they using this material?
    People need to be able to identify the watch with themselves. It's based on emotion." - Ralph Furter

...that's just my opinion and I've been wrong before and will be again and might be now!

well said Trim-I am passionate about my hobby. Ive loved watches since I was a little boy and my father gave me a spacey Hamilton electric. Oh where is it now? I collected all kinds of antiques from the age of five. In the mid eighties I started going full tilt. Buying many, many watches of the 30s to 40s golds filled tank variety, usually. I guess the addiction part comes in, where, I wont let those go -even tho I dont wear them and have moved on to chrome and steel round watches from the 40s thru 70s.The difference is that Im more circumspect and less impulsive in my buying. I use very hard to reach self control.And lets be realistic. Even a 30 dollar steel eventually needs work.Then were talking big money, at least for me. Pretty good luck so far tho. That said I do spend an hr a day looking at watches and another 1/2 hr skimming closing sales on ebay looking for a deal. And Ive found many. Im more into aesthetics than I am into big money movements, so thats a help. But then there are the Soviet watches. its a good thing i hate to wait or Id be flooded with Russkies...Just my overlong 3 cents.....

It must be awful to be addicted to something like watch collecting. Name:  hypnotized_32x32.png
Views: 482
Size:  2.4 KB

Still - there are worse addictions, as my parole board said.Name:  batman_32x32.png
Views: 498
Size:  2.2 KB

Anyway, 2 articles on a comic book collectors site: The Psychology of collecting...... - Collectors Society Message Boards

The second one is focused on coin collecting. This includes: "The danger arises when a collector loses complete touch with reality and allows the hobby to dictate all other aspects of one's life. Every dealer can name collectors who would spend the rent money to buy a coveted rarity ... who neglect their health, their families and their social responsibilities to satisfy their compulsion.... Much like drug addiction, alcoholism or gambling, chronically compulsive collecting can be devastating.... It is probably a manifestation of some disguised emotional problem." Sayles balanced this by talking about healthy collectors and healthy collecting.

The hobby only becomes a problem when it causes knock-on damage to relationships, finance, and work or other responsibilities. I have made a decision to avoid high-end brands, unless I can pick one up for peanuts, and ban myself from ebay periodically. And watches can be put down and left alone - unlike hobbies such as keeping snakes or growing plants. And they are small - so they need not intrude too much on others in the house.

I think what is most addictive about vintage watch collecting is the learning that goes on. It has elements of social, economic, cultural, fashion, military, materials, engineering, and design history. Its fascinating, and its probably the best hobby I've ever had.Name:  cool_32x32.png
Views: 494
Size:  2.4 KB

But yes - keep it real.
    Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects."

Will Rogers (1879 - 1935)

Please don't PM me to ask for a valuation - I won't attempt one.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information