Where to buy minute repeater pocket watch
Like Tree3Likes
  • 3 Post By thoth

Thread: Where to buy minute repeater pocket watch

Where to buy minute repeater pocket watch

Hi all I've recently taken an interest in minute repeaters, and short of winning the lottery there is not any way I would be willing to spend the money on a modern wristwatch, so I'm thinking a vintage minute repeater pocket watch would be great to scratch that itch. I see a good number of them on ebay but am never sure how to evaluate them.

I was wondering if there were any resources online that would point me in the right direction as to
    a) shops that may have these for sale
    b) watchmakers that service these and
    c) resources about movements and how to buy them

I've used the search feature and nothing that useful has come up

Thanks in advance!
    Last edited by barihunk; March 25th, 2018 at 11:06. Reason: If this is an inappropriate forum for this question please move/delete it.

Re: Where to buy minute repeater pocket watch

Simple ebay and you had to know that
    https://www.ebay.com/sch/Watches-Par...t+watch&_frs=1

Are you looking only for min repeaters or are you looking for repeaters in general?

When it comes to repeaters....don't buy a non functioning one unless you have deep pockets. They are not generally cheap to repair or service.

The quality of the repeaters depends on who made it. More jewels and being jeweled through the hammers are a good indication in them. You will not find fake non functional jewels in a repeater. They were not cheap to make and as such faking jeweling, like you find in fake railroad watches, did not happen. Or at least I have never seen it in 28 years.

Testing a repeater is simple but usually best in person. Set it to 12:59 in the case of a min repeater. If it fails to chime fully...like 12:57 or anything less than 12:59...either pass on it or be ready to pay for a service at minimum or repair at worst.

Parts are not common unless you get a more mass produced one. But even then it is very hard and watchmakers resort to making or modifying parts to get it working.

I suggest starting with lower cost repeaters to start. 1/4 repeaters are a good place depending on budget. But if you are willing to spend $2k+ you can find a min repeater without any problems and of an ok quality. If you are willing to roll the dice, eBay has them. Otherwise consider going to a NAWCC show where you can look in person.

Sent from my SM-G920R4 using Tapatalk
    https://www.ThePassthrough.com

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Vintage & NAWCC Forum moderator Ben_hutcherson's Avatar

I consider 5 minute repeaters to be something of a "sweet spot" between being interesting and cost/complexity.

In any case, take Thoth's comments on quality, and my suggestion would be to go shopping at a good horological auction house. Jones-Horan is the go to for me, but they do a lot more American than anything. RO Schmidt and Bonhams are other good ones. You can generally at least be assured that you'll get an accurate condition report from any of these.
    Member National Association of Watch and Clock Collectors
    Member, NAWCC Chapter 149. Vice President and Secretary NAWCC Chapter 140. Member, NAWCC Convention Committee.
    Serious collector of American pocket watches-Waltham(and the predecessor companies) is my specialty.

Quote Originally Posted by river rat View Post
    Simple ebay and you had to know that
    Maybe you should read what I wrote before the LMGTFY response.

Quote Originally Posted by thoth View Post
    Are you looking only for min repeaters or are you looking for repeaters in general?

When it comes to repeaters....don't buy a non functioning one unless you have deep pockets. They are not generally cheap to repair or service.

The quality of the repeaters depends on who made it. More jewels and being jeweled through the hammers are a good indication in them. You will not find fake non functional jewels in a repeater. They were not cheap to make and as such faking jeweling, like you find in fake railroad watches, did not happen. Or at least I have never seen it in 28 years.

Testing a repeater is simple but usually best in person. Set it to 12:59 in the case of a min repeater. If it fails to chime fully...like 12:57 or anything less than 12:59...either pass on it or be ready to pay for a service at minimum or repair at worst.

Parts are not common unless you get a more mass produced one. But even then it is very hard and watchmakers resort to making or modifying parts to get it working.

I suggest starting with lower cost repeaters to start. 1/4 repeaters are a good place depending on budget. But if you are willing to spend $2k+ you can find a min repeater without any problems and of an ok quality. If you are willing to roll the dice, eBay has them. Otherwise consider going to a NAWCC show where you can look in person.

Sent from my SM-G920R4 using Tapatalk
    I think either a minute or 5 minute repeater (thanks @Ben_hutcherson) would be the goal, but since it would likely be my one and only piece I'm leaning heavily towards minute repeater. Thanks for directing me to the NAWCC - Seems their shows are in kind of inconvenient locations (for me) but I'm going to see if I can make one of them. Are there dealers/resources in larger cities like NY, LA or Chicago? I do go to those places fairly often.

I've read around here that lecoutre movements are fairly good and standard - would that be very pricey? I'm not looking to spend big bucks on a patek repeater that's for sure, but a few k seems reasonable for a repeater complication that I would otherwise spend 6 figures on. I'd rather spend a bit more on something that has been maintained than a fixer upper. Those never turn out well for me.

You know back a couple of years I recall seeing quite a few "digital" clocks that would announce the time on demand - wonder where they all went.

Thread Information