Where to buy a vintage battery clamp?Girard Perregeaux quartz
Like Tree22Likes

Thread: Where to buy a vintage battery clamp?Girard Perregeaux quartz

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Where to buy a vintage battery clamp?Girard Perregeaux quartz

I have the exact same watch as this gentleman (who posted here before deciding to sell it on ebay) , given to my family circa 1974 so I believe it is a 351.

The only trouble with my watch is the battery(Energizer 357/303) is slightly unstable with the clamp.My watchmakers previously have cleaned the contacts (including the clamp) to improve the electrical contact. After a cleaning 2 months ago, the watch worked till now and stopped after I wore it out on a cold day.
    I opened the case and tried to replace the battery but the prodding of the few months old battery with a toothpick made the watch ticked again.So i just left it there. the problem has reoccured frequently over the last few years
    so I suspect the clamp is a bit worn and not holding the battery down tightly or I need the correct single application 357( not 357/303 Energizer) renata battery.

Where can I obtain such a battery clamp? or do i have to fashion my own clamp like this watchguy?

cant post pictures : google girard perregeuax 351 images

Girard Perregeaux dinosaur of quartz watchguy by christian

thanks

Re: Where to buy a vintage battery clamp?Girard Perregeaux quartz

FS: Girard-Perregaux Quartz 1972 cal. 351 NOS with box

in this forum

Quote Originally Posted by sfxc60 View Post
    I have the exact same watch as this gentleman (who posted here before deciding to sell it on ebay) , given to my family circa 1974 so I believe it is a 351.

The only trouble with my watch is the battery(Energizer 357/303) is slightly unstable with the clamp.My watchmakers previously have cleaned the contacts (including the clamp) to improve the electrical contact. After a cleaning 2 months ago, the watch worked till now and stopped after I wore it out on a cold day.
    I opened the case and tried to replace the battery but the prodding of the few months old battery with a toothpick made the watch ticked again.So i just left it there. the problem has reoccured frequently over the last few years
    so I suspect the clamp is a bit worn and not holding the battery down tightly or I need the correct single application 357( not 357/303 Energizer) renata battery.

Where can I obtain such a battery clamp? or do i have to fashion my own clamp like this watchguy?

thanks
    Dinosaur of Quartz: Girard Perregaux calibre 351

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

If Christian had to make a battery clamp, it was almost certainly because he couldn't find a replacement, so I suspect that's the answer to your question, really.

I know you mentioned a watchmaker in your post, but did they actually service the watch, or simply clean the contact? It sort of sounds as though they just cleaned and replaced the battery, so perhaps there's another issue with the movement. These things are, more or less, on or off, they work or don't work and so I think that the clamp may not be the issue here. Worth considering.

thanks
    Wibbs and sfxc60 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Habitant View Post
    If Christian had to make a battery clamp, it was almost certainly because he couldn't find a replacement, so I suspect that's the answer to your question, really.

I know you mentioned a watchmaker in your post, but did they actually service the watch, or simply clean the contact? It sort of sounds as though they just cleaned and replaced the battery, so perhaps there's another issue with the movement. These things are, more or less, on or off, they work or don't work and so I think that the clamp may not be the issue here. Worth considering.
    +1. Pictures of the movement would really help. But anyway if it has the original clamp then it's either the wrong battery(varies depending on model, I think my 352s use a Renata 344) or something else is causing the stoppages. Dirt in the bearings can do it. Make sure your watchmaker knows what they're doing. These don't have jewelled bearings so NO Oiling required. I've bought a few of these from ebay as non working that had stopped because a watchmaker who didn't know had oiled the bearings.

EDIT another issue can be the original plastic O ring.

Item number 4 in the above picture. The 1970's batteries had a protruding "nipple" on the negative pole, modern batteries do not. If that O ring is still present(and it often is) the modern battery can't make a decent electrical contact. Remove that O ring and you problems may vanish.
    Last edited by Wibbs; January 4th, 2016 at 11:38.

Thanks a lot. I 'll post a picture as soon as newbie are allowed.But your diagram helped a lot.
    Present situatio,after I nudged the battery,the watch is working again.
    I think when it stops again,I'll
    (1) change to original 357 battery(11.6mmx5.4 mm xmin 6mm base), ie not multifit 357/303(11.6x5.4mmx7.2mm) base battery
    if that fails
    (2)I'll get my watchmaker to see whether he can remove the the o-ring by showing him your diagram.Thanks again

. . . Where can I obtain such a battery clamp? . . .
    Your watchmaker can purchase it here:

MATERIAL CGI UTILITY[`M_G
    busmatt and sfxc60 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Wibbs View Post
    . . . These don't have jewelled bearings . . .
    Per watchmaking lexicon, if a pivot turns in it it is referred to as a jewel irrespective of the existence of a crystalline structure or not. Similarly, train holes in a plate or bridge or inserted bushings are called jewels.

In the case of this movement the jewels are Teflon. They should be inspected for wear and or cracks. There are other positions beyond the train that are well served by proper lubrication.
    Last edited by pithy; January 4th, 2016 at 20:18.

[QUOTE=pithy;24202386]Your watchmaker can purchase it here:

thanks, written to them to see whether they can sell to me direct(Toronto,Canada)

Quote Originally Posted by pithy View Post
    In the case of this movement the jewels are Teflon. They should be inspected for wear and or cracks.
    Agreed. Wear seems less of an issue, small particles of dust can be a problem. Care is required cleaning them as they can pop out far more easily than ruby jewels. Be careful with the pegwood.
    There are other positions beyond the train that are well served by proper lubrication.
    No, I do not agree and IMHO this kind of advice is why so many of these end up as "non working". What other positions in particular? Clearly no lubricant should go near the electronic components including the stepping motor, so where else in the movement? GP and JLC designed this movement from the start to be "maintenance free". The date change mechanism had a dry type lubricant applied in production, but again was supposed to be "lifetime". Indeed I have found with date changing problems(common enough with this movement) oiling the mechanism - which watchmakers naturally try as a solution - makes things worse, not better and they are best left dry.
    Last edited by Wibbs; January 5th, 2016 at 12:04.
    busmatt likes this.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread Information