Where to buy vintage/reproduction straps
Like Tree8Likes
  • 1 Post By LeatherMan64
  • 1 Post By Habitant
  • 2 Post By simpletreasures
  • 1 Post By odd_and_vintage_fan
  • 1 Post By tinknocker
  • 1 Post By LeatherMan64
  • 1 Post By bsshog40

Thread: Where to buy vintage/reproduction straps

Results 1 to 9 of 9
  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    47

    Where to buy vintage/reproduction straps

    So I've recently started to accumulate some more vintage pieces, namely a couple of old Bulovas (1950 Bowen, 1938 Minuteman). For the Bowen, I'm content with the croc grain strap upon which it was received. The Minuteman, on the other hand, had no strap or bracelet at the time of purchase, and I'm now on the hunt for a period correct mount to put it on. From the few old adverts I've been able to dig up, these seem to have come on expansion bracelets and/or pigskin straps. I understand that no one today makes a deco-inspired 14mm expansion bracelet, so that idea is pretty much out. Knowing that, I've begun to look for an authentic looking strap for it. However, I can't seem to find one that's got the vintage look: non-tapered, no padding, narrow 14mm width with adult male wrist-appropriate length.

    TL;DR: need a vintage or vintage looking 14mm strap for a man's watch, can't find anything but padded, tapered, lady wrist-length stuff online.

    Thoughts?
    Seiko: skx007, skx173, snk805, snk809, goofy '76 hexagon case auto
    Hamilton: Khaki field auto
    Vostok: '80s Amphibia 470, 80s komandirskie, modern 090 Amphibia, 110 Amphibia
    Vintage: Wittnauer revue, R. Gsell,'65 Timex, 1937 Bulova Minuteman, 1950 Bulova Bowen, C. 1955 Jules Jergensen
    Pocket: molnija, Westclox Scotty, Sears RR motif
    Randoms: HMT frankenpilot, Father's Timex expedition, grandfather's Timex digi, great-grandfather's Cromwell handwinder, random no-name stopwatch

  2. #2
    Member busmatt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    King's Lynn
    Posts
    5,332

    Re: Where to buy vintage/reproduction straps

    C J Balm, Chris does some great straps for the money
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/ulk/itm/140615255129
    Something like this might do

    Matt


    Brought to you by HYPNOTOAD
    " I can't wear this uniform, without some compromises "
    Chesney Hawkes


    "I larf, I Larf, I wee I pants, I make I leg go rusty."
    ​Me

  3. #3
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    47

    Re: Where to buy vintage/reproduction straps

    C J Balm, Chris does some great straps for the money
    Quality Brown Lizard Leather Vintage Style Open-Ended Watch Strap 10mm 12mm 14mm | eBay
    Something like this might do

    Matt
    Cool! I like the open ends, could be re purposed in the even that I come upon a piece with wire lugs.
    busmatt likes this.
    Seiko: skx007, skx173, snk805, snk809, goofy '76 hexagon case auto
    Hamilton: Khaki field auto
    Vostok: '80s Amphibia 470, 80s komandirskie, modern 090 Amphibia, 110 Amphibia
    Vintage: Wittnauer revue, R. Gsell,'65 Timex, 1937 Bulova Minuteman, 1950 Bulova Bowen, C. 1955 Jules Jergensen
    Pocket: molnija, Westclox Scotty, Sears RR motif
    Randoms: HMT frankenpilot, Father's Timex expedition, grandfather's Timex digi, great-grandfather's Cromwell handwinder, random no-name stopwatch

  4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements
     

  5. #4
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    UTC
    Posts
    2,443

    Re: Where to buy vintage/reproduction straps

    David Boettcher is a find. His website is full of really good information and he does sell vintage style straps. Very helpful guy, too, pops up here from time to time.

    Personally, I hate those stupid metal fold over ends so common on wire end watch straps (Chris Balm's included), so I whip 'em out and simply glue the leather ends together using leather glue (thus converting the strap to spring bar or affixing it to a wire end as appropriate).

    The best of all on eBay for NOS straps in my own opinion is Scott Allison. Good stock, awesome service and reasonable prices.

    Quote Originally Posted by LeatherMan64 View Post
    So I've recently started to accumulate some more vintage pieces, namely a couple of old Bulovas (1950 Bowen, 1938 Minuteman). For the Bowen, I'm content with the croc grain strap upon which it was received. The Minuteman, on the other hand, had no strap or bracelet at the time of purchase, and I'm now on the hunt for a period correct mount to put it on. From the few old adverts I've been able to dig up, these seem to have come on expansion bracelets and/or pigskin straps. I understand that no one today makes a deco-inspired 14mm expansion bracelet, so that idea is pretty much out. Knowing that, I've begun to look for an authentic looking strap for it. However, I can't seem to find one that's got the vintage look: non-tapered, no padding, narrow 14mm width with adult male wrist-appropriate length.

    TL;DR: need a vintage or vintage looking 14mm strap for a man's watch, can't find anything but padded, tapered, lady wrist-length stuff online.

    Thoughts?
    Last edited by Habitant; December 5th, 2015 at 10:13.
    busmatt likes this.

  6. #5
    Member simpletreasures's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    1,507

    Re: Where to buy vintage/reproduction straps

    Name:  $_57.JPG
Views: 112
Size:  219.0 KBName:  $_57a.JPG
Views: 112
Size:  188.3 KB

    Is this what you're looking for?
    busmatt and nome93 like this.
    https://mb.nawcc.org/threads/westfield-watch-company.109201/

    A friend is truly a prize indeed, others not so much. So if I lead you believe you're in the latter, please read........
    http://markmanson.net/internet

  7. #6
    Member odd_and_vintage_fan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Location
    PA, USA
    Posts
    2,220

    Re: Where to buy vintage/reproduction straps

    The 14mm width reminded me of my 1949 Bulova President. The previous (original?) owner had a 16mm expansion band filed down to fit the 14mm lugs of the watch. If you look too closely, it's a hack job, but it adds to the character of the watch in my opinion.

    If you're willing to go all the way to Switzerland (online) for Yellys Watch Corner, Eulit makes their Perlon straps down to 14mm. Holben's Fine Watch Bands doesn't carry the 14mm size yet, but you could ask. You could also make a new friend in the Straps forum and get a pigskin one custom made for your wrist.
    busmatt likes this.

  8. #7
    Member tinknocker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    4,592

    Re: Where to buy vintage/reproduction straps

    Quote Originally Posted by Habitant View Post

    The best of all on eBay for NOS straps in my own opinion is Scott Allison. Good stock, awesome service and reasonable prices.

    I'd agree with this. I bought a NOS bracelet (1950's JB Champion) from him and it was in perfect condition and the service was outstanding.
    busmatt likes this.
    Always give a word or a sign of salute when meeting or passing a friend, even a stranger, when in a lonely place. Show respect to all people and grovel to none.

  9. #8
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    47

    Re: Where to buy vintage/reproduction straps

    Habitant- Boettcher's site is awesome, I love that he has the history component as well as the straps.

    Habitant/Tinknocker- thanks for the recommendation, I'm sifting through Allison's pile right now, definitely a few things there that look like they'd fit.

    simpletreasures- yep, that's pretty much perfect, very similar to one I've been eyeballing at a local pawn shop.

    odd and vintage- I hadn't really thought of cutting a 16mm to fit, but that would expand my possibilities considerably.


    Thanks all!
    busmatt likes this.
    Seiko: skx007, skx173, snk805, snk809, goofy '76 hexagon case auto
    Hamilton: Khaki field auto
    Vostok: '80s Amphibia 470, 80s komandirskie, modern 090 Amphibia, 110 Amphibia
    Vintage: Wittnauer revue, R. Gsell,'65 Timex, 1937 Bulova Minuteman, 1950 Bulova Bowen, C. 1955 Jules Jergensen
    Pocket: molnija, Westclox Scotty, Sears RR motif
    Randoms: HMT frankenpilot, Father's Timex expedition, grandfather's Timex digi, great-grandfather's Cromwell handwinder, random no-name stopwatch

  10. #9
    Member bsshog40's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Location
    Tx.
    Posts
    2,130

    Re: Where to buy vintage/reproduction straps

    Quote Originally Posted by odd_and_vintage_fan View Post
    The 14mm width reminded me of my 1949 Bulova President. The previous (original?) owner had a 16mm expansion band filed down to fit the 14mm lugs of the watch. If you look too closely, it's a hack job, but it adds to the character of the watch in my opinion.

    If you're willing to go all the way to Switzerland (online) for Yellys Watch Corner, Eulit makes their Perlon straps down to 14mm. Holben's Fine Watch Bands doesn't carry the 14mm size yet, but you could ask. You could also make a new friend in the Straps forum and get a pigskin one custom made for your wrist.
    Same as with my 39' Bulova. I had originally cut the edges of a leather band to make it fit but eventually found an original dated band for it.

    Name:  2015-11-21 21.02.03.jpg
Views: 112
Size:  1.81 MB
    busmatt likes this.
    Bobby - My original music! Check me out! Thanks!
    https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...11CC8CC6093D80

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

    Similar Threads

    1. Replies: 0
      Last Post: October 30th, 2012, 09:23
    2. Replies: 7
      Last Post: January 6th, 2012, 05:38
    3. Would you buy a DW-5500C-1 reproduction?
      By underdog in forum Casio G-Shock
      Replies: 32
      Last Post: December 30th, 2009, 13:25
    4. The Best Vintage Straps Money Can Buy........TAKE A LOOK
      By DaLuca Straps in forum Watches - Straps & Bracelets
      Replies: 0
      Last Post: July 26th, 2009, 18:41

    Posting Permissions

    • You may not post new threads
    • You may not post replies
    • You may not post attachments
    • You may not edit your posts
    •