Where can I find (empty) WRIST CASES for pocket watches?
Like Tree14Likes

Thread: Where can I find (empty) WRIST CASES for pocket watches?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Where can I find (empty) WRIST CASES for pocket watches?

Hi all with a 'tick'

I'm a huge fan of looks of pocket watches. But since I doesn't use a pocket watch and would like to look at the fantastic dials and movements more often, I would like to have (the possibility to wear) them on my wrist. Does anyone know if there is a 'famous' WRIST CASE manufacturer or are all those cases individually hand-crafted?

I do know a lot of you think it is a no-go to convert a rare pocket watch into a wrist watch (please leave those comments out of this thread), but on Ebay I sometimes see very nice examples (see the Waltham picture below) which makes it even better to enjoy the uniqueness of a pocket watch!

Name:  P2W Waltham (Ebay).jpg
Views: 2782
Size:  400.6 KB

Thanks for the tips...

Re: Where can I find (empty) WRIST CASES for pocket watches?

Just search on Ebay, there are 1000s of these Ukraine Franken conversions
    Regard
    NEVER ARGUE WITH AN IDIOT. FIRST THEY WILL DRAG YOU DOWN TO THEIR LEVEL. THEN, THEY WILL BEAT YOU WITH EXPERIENCE.

"Failure is not an option" - Gene Kranz
    "Owning a vintage watch is great, understanding where it sits in Horology is magnificent"
    and
    "By Teaching Others, We Teach Ourselves"
    Adam

Quote Originally Posted by HOROLOGIST007 View Post
    Just search on Ebay, there are 1000s of these Ukraine Franken conversions
    Regard
    Yes. well, maybe not 1000s. But too many.

As to the OPs request we not comment on these other than to answer his question I say these are neither pocket watches nor vintage.

Labor is cheap in the Ukraine (and Poland) where these watches are munged. Ask on a Ukrainian or Polish watch forum where they get these.

I apologize if this answer seems unresponsive. Affordables or Fashion might be a better place to ask on WUS. They probably won't know anything but that is what these pieces really are. They will probably be less irritated than us. Maybe they will even like them! (Oooohh.... shiny with gold! Look, that laser etching sure is advanced!)

I understand superglue works well for holding them together once they have been munged! You could even be vintage about it and use old Eastman 910 - the original superglue!
    Mirius, Paulvk and Roland Ranfft like this.
    "Forever is composed of nows." - Emily Dickinson

"The watch has to be surrounded by a history.
    You need more than just a great design. You need to create an atmosphere around the product.
    Who is the company behind it? Why are they using this material?
    People need to be able to identify the watch with themselves. It's based on emotion." - Ralph Furter

...that's just my opinion and I've been wrong before and will be again and might be now!

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Zenith Forum Co-moderator

To attempt to answer the original question without any opinions on pocket watch conversions, I would have to say that it is unlikely that you will find a modern off-the-shelf case to fit your movements. Not unless you have small and slim movements. Modern cases are generally used to fit movements of a maximum of 36mm in diameter (ETA/Unitas 6497 & 6498). Even those that attain 48mm and could fit your movements with regard to diameter (just reduce the thickness of the movement holder ring) would actually not since older movements are rather thicker. A standard 19''' movement (43mm) is about 7mm thick whereas the Unitas movements are 4.5mm. About the only cases you could consider are those for watches with hefty complications but those will usually have holes for sunken pushers - or worse, hefty holes for chronograph pushers.

The bottom line is that, unless you use the original case with lugs soldered on, you are either down to asking all those Ukrainians where they get their cases from or having cases made to your specifications.

Hartmut Richter
    HOROLOGIST007, Mirius and Paulvk like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Eeeb View Post
    Yes. well, maybe not 1000s. But too many.

As to the OPs request we not comment on these other than to answer his question I say these are neither pocket watches nor vintage.

Labor is cheap in the Ukraine (and Poland) where these watches are munged. Ask on a Ukrainian or Polish watch forum where they get these.

I apologize if this answer seems unresponsive. Affordables or Fashion might be a better place to ask on WUS. They probably won't know anything but that is what these pieces really are. They will probably be less irritated than us. Maybe they will even like them! (Oooohh.... shiny with gold! Look, that laser etching sure is advanced!)

I understand superglue works well for holding them together once they have been munged! You could even be vintage about it and use old Eastman 910 - the original superglue!
    i think your attitude towards new posters about this issue is pretty crappy. not to put too fine a point on it. there are thousands of orphaned movements out there that could be put to some good use. you don't need to crap on anyone who may be thinking about it, or, god forbid, buys one.
    Paulvk, Polaroid, OCDood and 1 others like this.

Quote Originally Posted by sherwoodschwartz View Post
    i think your attitude towards new posters about this issue is pretty crappy. not to put too fine a point on it. there are thousands of orphaned movements out there that could be put to some good use. you don't need to crap on anyone who may be thinking about it, or, god forbid, buys one.
    I admit normally I am nicer but moderators are allowed to express negative opinions too. If he had just asked and taken the heat, it would have been a different tone of response, from me at least. But picturing a Ukrainian munged Elgin and calling it "a nice example" is a promotion for the Ukrainians. And to say he did not want anything but an answer to his question was evidence to me he did not just walk in from the street.

I confess it was a considered drubbing. But it seemed justified and wasn't a personal attack... just an attack on the munging of pocket watches. I liked Hartmut's response. It was a good balance showing it is a bad idea for many reasons.

I am sorry for the orphans. But many of these movements saw their parents killed for these efforts. It reminds me of the ivory trade...
    Paulvk and aditya like this.

You need more than just a great design. You need to create an atmosphere around the product.
    People need to be able to identify the watch with themselves. It's based on emotion." - Ralph Furter

...that's just my opinion and I've been wrong before and will be again and might be now!

Ironically, the ad-box for the forum right now is showing me RPaige Wrockets; that's the line of watches from R. Paige where he puts old high end american watch movements into wristwatch cases, and sells them for a fortune. The difference between what Paige is doing and what's happening in the Ukraine is simply that he's honest about it. He's taking some of the most gorgeous uncased movements that ever came out of the American factories and showcasing them in a reasonably respectable manner (although the dials and hands are a bit unnerving to me).

Truth is, it doesn't take a great deal of machining to make a wristwatch case that'll take a standard American movement. Its just not something that has enough of a need for the cases to be mass produced. Still, I wonder if Paige is having them custom done, and his "source" is willing to sell to other buyers.
    Paulvk likes this.
    My growing collection of "affordable" vintages: http://www.abslomrob.com

Intersting. I confess I have AdBlock active on all my browsers. I never see these adverts.

Quote Originally Posted by Eeeb View Post
    I have AdBlock active on all my browsers. I never see these adverts.
    Me too.Name:  pirate3.gif
Views: 2380
Size:  623 Bytes
    Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects."

Will Rogers (1879 - 1935)

Please don't PM me to ask for a valuation - I won't attempt one.

Quote Originally Posted by Marrick View Post
    Me too.Name:  pirate3.gif
Views: 2380
Size:  623 Bytes
    Ads are part of what pays for the these forums to exist, and it doesn't cost me anything but a half-second of time to scroll past them. I've even clicked on a couple that were interesting to me. Picked up a couple of new chinese skeleton automatics for $20 each.
    Paulvk likes this.
    My growing collection of "affordable" vintages: http://www.abslomrob.com

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information