Where can I get a 70's quartz Timex repaired?
Like Tree18Likes

Thread: Where can I get a 70's quartz Timex repaired?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Where can I get a 70's quartz Timex repaired?

I picked up this very nice (and cheap) 1974 Timex after a discussion about birth year watches on F71. It ran beautifully for a while and then stopped so I replaced the battery but it failed to start again. Does anyone know a reputable shop in the US that repairs vintage quartz Timex watches? It was inexpensive but I really like it so I'd like to have it repaired regardless.

Name:  C360_2013-10-31-19-54-27-336.jpg
Views: 513
Size:  81.2 KB
    Last edited by SteamJ; November 23rd, 2013 at 16:59.
    JP71624, Shum and howards4th like this.
    - Jason

Re: Where can I get a 70's quartz Timex repaired?

In the Links and Articles subforum is a thread on locating watchmakers.

I suspect you need to be upfront with any watchmakers you approach and tell them you are willing to pay $300 or more to get this working again. Only then will they realize you are serious. Most will turn this business away because few owners will pay what it will really take.

Good luck!
    "Forever is composed of nows." - Emily Dickinson

"The watch has to be surrounded by a history.
    You need more than just a great design. You need to create an atmosphere around the product.
    Who is the company behind it? Why are they using this material?
    People need to be able to identify the watch with themselves. It's based on emotion." - Ralph Furter

...that's just my opinion and I've been wrong before and will be again and might be now!

Perhaps it might be more cost effective to find a similar Timex on eBay?

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Send me a PM. I may be able to help you out!
    "Time flies when you're throwing watches."
    What has a man profited, if he gains the whole world yet forfeits his soul? Mt16:26
    IG: @BuyingOnTime

Quote Originally Posted by paulmlemay View Post
    Perhaps it might be more cost effective to find a similar Timex on eBay?
    The problem I see is 1) Timex made a lot of movements in this electro/mechanical transition era and 2) few watches advertised as Timex show their movements in eBay listings. If you have to buy a lot of them to get a match, it might not be cost effective and will certainly be time consuming
    "Forever is composed of nows." - Emily Dickinson

"The watch has to be surrounded by a history.
    You need more than just a great design. You need to create an atmosphere around the product.
    Who is the company behind it? Why are they using this material?
    People need to be able to identify the watch with themselves. It's based on emotion." - Ralph Furter

...that's just my opinion and I've been wrong before and will be again and might be now!

Quote Originally Posted by Eeeb View Post
    The problem I see is 1) Timex made a lot of movements in this electro/mechanical transition era and 2) few watches advertised as Timex show their movements in eBay listings. If you have to buy a lot of them to get a match, it might not be cost effective and will certainly be time consuming
    I'd rather just see about getting it fixed. JP71624 gave me a lead on where I might be able to get it repaired so I'll explore that. There's another of the same watch listed on eBay but it's $199 and non-working so I wonder if I just got an amazing deal for getting this one for around $30.
    ChiefWahoo likes this.
    - Jason

"Value", as they say, is only what someone is willing to pay. That being said, there's a vast number of items that go unsold time after time because no one will ever offer those amounts. So 'bay items are softened better judged by already sold prices, for sure.
    "Time flies when you're throwing watches."
    What has a man profited, if he gains the whole world yet forfeits his soul? Mt16:26
    IG: @BuyingOnTime

If you're willing to try some things, it might be worth it before spending money. Usually on these watches, there is a metal cover protecting the movement after you remove the back. Gently remove that cover and you should be able to easily see the balance wheel as well as the contacts. Look at the battery contacts, there is usually one on the bottom and then a side one. Make sure they come in proper contact when you put the battery in. I've found these older watches need a little push to get going again when a battery is replaced. While you have your finger on the battery, very gently (use a pin) move the balance wheel to the left and let it go. It should start up. If not, test the battery to ensure it is good (sometimes new batteries are not) and gets 1.5v. If not replace the battery and try again. If the watch does not start right up when you replace the cover, give it a good shake to get the balance wheel going again. Hope this helps.
    Name:  DSC00619.JPG
Views: 451
Size:  107.7 KB

Quote Originally Posted by synctyme View Post
    If you're willing to try some things, it might be worth it before spending money. Usually on these watches, there is a metal cover protecting the movement after you remove the back. Gently remove that cover and you should be able to easily see the balance wheel as well as the contacts. Look at the battery contacts, there is usually one on the bottom and then a side one. Make sure they come in proper contact when you put the battery in. I've found these older watches need a little push to get going again when a battery is replaced. While you have your finger on the battery, very gently (use a pin) move the balance wheel to the left and let it go. It should start up. If not, test the battery to ensure it is good (sometimes new batteries are not) and gets 1.5v. If not replace the battery and try again. If the watch does not start right up when you replace the cover, give it a good shake to get the balance wheel going again. Hope this helps.
    Name:  DSC00619.JPG
Views: 451
Size:  107.7 KB
    Good call! I tried a 2nd battery and gave the balance wheel a little nudge and it started right up again. Thanks for the great suggestion!
    - Jason

Hi Jason,

Quote Originally Posted by SteamJ View Post
    Good call! I tried a 2nd battery and gave the balance wheel a little nudge and it started right up again. Thanks for the great suggestion!
    No need for a second battery. These watches are not selfstarting, and need a twist motion to start them after replacing the battery. During normal usage you will not notic this. When setting it, the balance is automatically stopped in a position from which it restarts reliably, but when it stops with a dead nbattery in the rest position it doesn't start.

Regards, Roland Ranfft
    SteamJ and Ticonderoga like this.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information