Where do you find all these beautiful vintage watches ???

Thread: Where do you find all these beautiful vintage watches ???

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Where do you find all these beautiful vintage watches ???

You guys post such beautiful watches. Where do you find them all? I've scoured eBay to be sure...
    Many of the other vendors who specialize in vintage watches and have an online presence seem to charge an arm and a leg. Any suggestions as to where I might find high quality, but somewhat more affordable, pieces?
    I live in the Southeastern US, with only one local brick-and-mortar option of which I'm aware.
    Thanks!

Re: Where do you find all these beautiful vintage watches ???

well, i can assume you're not talking to me as all of my watches have come off ebay. and really, it isn't hard so i'm not sure what you're "scouring" for. something rare? a particular watch?

some guys buy off ebay and some buy off flea markets seen some great watches that people have bought from flea market

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

well, i guess i should be clearer...
    i'm brand new to this and pretty cautious. there are plenty of nice watches on eBay, though not all in my intended price range. i'm also a bit leery of some deals, and still too green to tell original from fraudulent. certainly don't mean to bash eBay, just looking for more options.

Sorry to say... all (95%) of my watches come off ebay...

You need to get accustomed to refining your search using the tabs to the side! It helps if you can be specific when searching and search (add description) the description.

The other 5% comes from carboots (flea markets)

Both ebay and markets take time and patients!
    A designer knows he has achieved perfection not when there is nothing left to add, but when there is nothing left to take away...

Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Twitter: quickpicmarc

you could always try the sales corner on this site or ask sparcster for his ebay id he is always selling

Quote Originally Posted by ariyamina View Post
    well, i guess i should be clearer...
    i'm brand new to this and pretty cautious. there are plenty of nice watches on eBay, though not all in my intended price range. i'm also a bit leery of some deals, and still too green to tell original from fraudulent. certainly don't mean to bash eBay, just looking for more options.
    ahh, i get it.

i understand your reluctance to engage ebay. it is a den of thieves and murderers- and yet, a lot of good honest people. the first thing you really need to define is what you're interested in. let's say for the sake of an example, you like early to mid-century hamiltons. look at every picture you can look at. read every post you can find- familiarize yourself with the 'search' button and abuse it. i doubt you will have a question that hasn't been asked before- look for them. go to the fora that specialize in this type of watch. the one you're on is pretty good.

basically, you need to really dig in and do your due diligence. even reputable dealers won't always realize the watch they're offering is a re-dial, or has a swapped movement. become an expert in the things you like. then, you can wade into the waters of watch collecting with a little confidence.

and don't hesitate to post pictures of the watches you are interested in and ask opinions. you'll get some good info that way from collectors who have been at it for decades.

Quote Originally Posted by joeuk View Post
    you could always try the sales corner on this site or ask sparcster for his ebay id he is always selling
    I dont sell ALL the watches I buy....

I agree with Sherwood... research is very important! It would help if you could start with a brand you are interested in!

However... I realise there is a great temptation to buy, buy, buy.... plus, with the huge variety out there, its very hard to narrow the search!

Again, as Sherwood says... ask here first and you will hopefully get the advice and reassurance you need before taking the plunge!
    A designer knows he has achieved perfection not when there is nothing left to add, but when there is nothing left to take away...

Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Thanks, all. Very helpful advice. I would be happy to keep tabs on Sparcster's eBay offerings; I have admired a number of his watches.

Quote Originally Posted by ariyamina View Post
    Thanks, all. Very helpful advice. I would be happy to keep tabs on Sparcster's eBay offerings; I have admired a number of his watches.
    Im actually on my hols at the end of the week (to the states!!) so have stopped buying and selling at the mo... but have a large amount I plan to sell when i return, as i want to save up for a certain watch!

That said... I have sold 1 or 2 watches through the forum - not that I intended to.... I was just messaged!! I normally list my watches as UK only... but I have (on occasion) also added links in the 'ebay sales forum' and stated I would post abroad to WUS members!

Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information