Where to find the value of South Bend pocket watches
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By CTesta

Thread: Where to find the value of South Bend pocket watches

Where to find the value of South Bend pocket watches

I didn't know these watches even existed until today. I saw two at my local antique shop. They are very neat looking pocket watches and since im from the area I would like to own one. I dont know if id be paying what they are worth or way over value. I tried to find if I could look up the value of these watches but theres not much info and I have seen a few on sale online but they vary so drastically in price its hard to get an estimate.

Re: Where to find the value of South Bend pocket watches

There is a book called "Complete Price Guide to Watches" by Richard Gilbert and Tom Engle, as well as "The Complete Guide to American Pocket Watches" by Cooksey Shuggart. They have a comprehensive description on most of the brands, as well as price guides on some of the watches. While I think that some of the values are lower than market, I have found it pretty descriptive of the companies, including movement calibers, as well as years of manufacture. Both of these are on Amazon.com. Search for the most current edition. Also, there is another book " American Pocket Watches Identification and Price Guide Beginning to End: 1830 to 1990" by Roy Ehrhardt and William "Bill" Meggers. I cannot remember the name of a gentleman that I have sent questions to, but he is a member of NAWCC (nawcc.org, and he is a walking encyclopedia. I believe his first name is Bruce. He would more than likely know the brand and could give you a really good appraisal. Hope this info helps.
    crash525 likes this.

There are many different models and movement grades and that is why you are seeing a price range. First off you need to identify the watch. The best thing to do is head back to the store and take some good in focus photo's of the movement, dial and case and then post in the vintage forum.

Once you have the model you can start to determine value.

Regards,

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Found the right person that I was thinking of: Jeffery P. Hess @ Hess Fine Art. He is the guy. Very smart, and has written books on watches. He is located in St. Petersburg Florida. I would call his place first before buying the books.

Moderator at Large stuffler,mike's Avatar

Thread moved to the more suitable sub forum.
    Kind regards
    Mike

Instagram @mikestuffler

Thanks for moving the thread to the appropriate place, Im still getting used to this forum. Thanks for all the info. I have found two watches at the antique store and just got a look at the front of them. I started to look them up online and found out that South Bend watches made quite a few different models. I just wanted to know where I could find more info about them if there was a book, place, or someone who knew alot about them. I have heard of and seen numerous different types of watches but I have never heard of the South Bend pocket watch. I ordered the complete watch guide book 2016.

I just didnt want to go blindly into an antique store and purchase one of these watches and way over pay for it or find out that they were knock offs.

Thread Information