Where to get Zenith 1937 Cal. 10 1/2''' N.S.I hairspring?
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Hartmut Richter

Thread: Where to get Zenith 1937 Cal. 10 1/2''' N.S.I hairspring?

I have got some nice Zenith watch from 1937 with pretty rare Cal. 10 1/2''' N.S.I , but unfortunately the Breguet hairspring is damaged (heavily bent). Local watchmaker quoted "several hundreds" to fix it, if I will not be able to find a replacement.

Can somebody help, where to look for it? Maybe Cal. 106 has the same hairspring (as 10 1/2''' N.S.I is predecessor of that one)? Or maybe I should just sell it like it is...

Zenith Forum Co-moderator

Re: Where to get Zenith 1937 Cal. 10 1/2''' N.S.I hairspring?

Bad luck! You can get balance staffs and other parts for these movements more readily than hairsprings on fleabay. And if you have the old one repaired, I suspect that it will never work as nicely as it used to.....

No, the Cal. 106 hairspring won't do since that movement doesn't have Breguet overcoil. However, I doubt that Zenith made that hairspring anyway - they probably had it made to their specification. (A few decades ago, there was only a single (!!) company making hairsprings for the entire Swiss industry: Nivarox!) You might only require an adequate semi-generic replacement (although it may well not be so beautifully dark blue).

Hairspring specifications depend on a variety of factors, including:

1. balance size/weight
    2. mainspring strength
    3. flat vs. Breguet overcoil

...and possíbly some more. You don't need an exact match (since the watch doesn't have a free sprung balance - you can correct for mismatches to a certain extent via the fine adjustment) so you are just after a hairspring for a movement with similar specifications. I would have thought that a decent watchmaker would be able to source an adequate replacement - as long as he has access to hairsprings per se.

Good luck!

Hartmut Richter
    Michael Maddan likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Hartmut Richter View Post
    Bad luck! You can get balance staffs and other parts for these movements more readily than hairsprings on fleabay. And if you have the old one repaired, I suspect that it will never work as nicely as it used to.....

No, the Cal. 106 hairspring won't do since that movement doesn't have Breguet overcoil. However, I doubt that Zenith made that hairspring anyway - they probably had it made to their specification. (A few decades ago, there was only a single (!!) company making hairsprings for the entire Swiss industry: Nivarox!) You might only require an adequate semi-generic replacement (although it may well not be so beautifully dark blue).

Hairspring specifications depend on a variety of factors, including:

1. balance size/weight
    2. mainspring strength
    3. flat vs. Breguet overcoil

...and possíbly some more. You don't need an exact match (since the watch doesn't have a free sprung balance - you can correct for mismatches to a certain extent via the fine adjustment) so you are just after a hairspring for a movement with similar specifications. I would have thought that a decent watchmaker would be able to source an adequate replacement - as long as he has access to hairsprings per se.

Good luck!

Hartmut Richter
    Thanks for your answer! The local watchmaker offered to try to source replacement, but he quoted that for 100-200 euros. Sounded quite expensive to me (even if it's still cheaper than repairing of original one), so I decided to ask on forums first, actually hoping on your answer, as you seem to be an authority in vintage Zeniths :) Do you think 100-200 euros is adequate price, or I should try another watchmaker?

Meanwhile I will try to find some videos how to fix the hairspring myself...
    Last edited by Mirius; 1 Week Ago at 14:49.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Good news! After watching hairspring repair videos for couple hours and buying a tweezer set at local hardware store, I played a bit with hairspring (it wasn't actually bent hardly), maybe just light misalignment. Looks like main problem was that it went out of regulator index pin and boot. After I managed to fix that, balance started to oscillate slowly. Then I touched lightly the hairspring, as it seems it was still touching something on the side (one of the wheels) and watch started ticking as it should! So I guess I got lucky this time. Now ticks on my hand already for 2 hours :)

And I wonder why that local watchmaker said that hairspring it is bend hardly (that was the first time I visited him), but he looked at hairspring without removing balance cock. So not sure if I should trust him...

Zenith Forum Co-moderator

Maybe he was touting for business. 200 Euros does sound rather too much for that for that job. I bust a pocket watch and organised a new balance staff: my watchmaker installed it complete with the transfer of the old balance and hairspring, plus a complete service for under 100 Euros. So, if there is any justification for that sort of cash, it must be in obtaining a new hairspring.

Hartmut Richter

Vint. Forum Co-Moderator Mirius's Avatar

I would suggest more that he didn’t want the work.

That's in Finland and service/manual work here is usually very well paid. And yes, he mentioned, that it will be impossible to find exact hairspring, but he can check at home if he has something similar, what might work.

But watch is running nicely, was running for 44 hours from full wind, so I am happy that it's not ruined :).

Thread Information