Where to have Gruen Verithin serviced?

Thread: Where to have Gruen Verithin serviced?

Where to have Gruen Verithin serviced?

I have a Gruen Verithin pocket watch that belonged to my grandfather. After making a small adjustment, it actually keeps good time. The second hand is stuck though (the gear turns but the hand doesn't), and the movement to be cleaned. A local watchmaker wanted $235. Another jewelry store sent it to a repair shop in Nashville which quoted $130. That sounds about right considering that it doesn't seem to need any parts. Can someone recommend a good repair shop that will service it for a fair price?

Also, does anyone have information about this exact model? The back of the cover says "reinforced gold". Does that mean 10k gold, gold plated, or something else? Is this a higher-end Gruen model? The movement looks to be pretty good quality, but I have seen photos of other models with a swan neck adjustment.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Last edited by RyanD; December 2nd, 2010 at 20:39.

Re: Where to gave Gruen Verithin serviced?

Yours has lost its swan neck. You can see the mounting holes. Yes adj 8pos is top quality.

Case is gold filled - not solid gold, but not electro plated either.

K.

Quote Originally Posted by trim View Post
    Yours has lost its swan neck. You can see the mounting holes. Yes adj 8pos is top quality.

Case is gold filled - not solid gold, but not electro plated either.

K.
    Thanks, hopefully they will replace the swan neck. I didn't notice the screw hole for it before.

From the information I've found so far, it was made around 1920 and cost $150-175 new. That's $1500-2000 in today's money.

Unless someone has a better idea, I'm going to let the place in Nashville service it. $130 sounds pretty fair, and the watch is definitely worth that.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

If the first quote included parts, it is reasonable. If the second quote is just for service and no parts, it is reasonable but I'd go with the first as the swan neck is not a useless part.
    "Forever is composed of nows." - Emily Dickinson

"The watch has to be surrounded by a history.
    You need more than just a great design. You need to create an atmosphere around the product.
    Who is the company behind it? Why are they using this material?
    People need to be able to identify the watch with themselves. It's based on emotion." - Ralph Furter

...that's just my opinion and I've been wrong before and will be again and might be now!

Quote Originally Posted by Eeeb View Post
    If the first quote included parts, it is reasonable. If the second quote is just for service and no parts, it is reasonable but I'd go with the first as the swan neck is not a useless part.
    I guess it depends on what parts they intend to replace. $100 for a swan neck seems pretty high. $100 for the swan neck, crystal, and hands might be reasonable.

I'll see how it looks when it comes back. Worst case, I should be able to find a swan neck somewhere.

Quote Originally Posted by RyanD View Post
    I'll see how it looks when it comes back.
    Photos and update when it returns please

Thread Information