Where the heck did my tiny pocket watch come from?? Experts, UNITE!

Thread: Where the heck did my tiny pocket watch come from?? Experts, UNITE!

Where the heck did my tiny pocket watch come from?? Experts, UNITE!

I fell so in love with this tiny ladies pocket watch so I bought it. There is only one issue, I have NO idea who made it, how old it is or where its even from. It winds, but doesn't work. i think it needs balance work >_< Can anyone help?

Specs:

2inches (not including crown)
    Reads: Roxane, swiss made on the dial
    inside back case reads: Guaranteed 10 years Supreme 2647407

Movements read
    7sevenjewels
    one1adjustment
    swiss
    P.DROZ
    Attached Images Attached Images

Re: Where the heck did my tiny pocket watch come from?? Experts, UNITE!

It looks like a cylinder movement with decent finishing, so probably late 19th or early 20th century (although the prominent "Swiss Made" on the dial may date it later then that...). Roxane was a registered trademark of "Hipp, Didisheim and Bros., NYC" in 1923, but that seems a little late for the case (I think the word "Guaranteed" wasn't allowed much after 1920).

The "One 1 adjustment" seems a bit odd, and also suggests early 20th century (stuff like that was used to avoid tarriffs, I think).
    My growing collection of "affordable" vintages: http://www.abslomrob.com

Quote Originally Posted by AbslomRob View Post
    It looks like a cylinder movement with decent finishing, so probably late 19th or early 20th century (although the prominent "Swiss Made" on the dial may date it later then that...). Roxane was a registered trademark of "Hipp, Didisheim and Bros., NYC" in 1923, but that seems a little late for the case (I think the word "Guaranteed" wasn't allowed much after 1920).

The "One 1 adjustment" seems a bit odd, and also suggests early 20th century (stuff like that was used to avoid tarriffs, I think).
    So it's from a little bit of everywhere huh :) I bought it for $25 at a watch place, and the guy who sold it to me didn't really know anything about it either so its kind of a mystery O_O Thank you for that info, I love knowing the ins and outs of the pieces I have and my collection just keeps growing!

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

This watch with cylinder escapement is really the dawn of this type of movement.
    The so called Farmer's ebauche was already gone.
    From the farmer's ebauche facturies evolved state of the art facturies, surviving even till modern times. At this change they still produced their ancient ebauches on wich they grew big.....
    by nickeling the bridges, mainplate and a kind of engravements they gave it still some appearence.
    but it was running on its last pair of feet.
    these are actualy not the worst cylinder escapements.

to give you an animation to understand it:

and a picture:

About ajusted on one (1) position: with crown up running within COSC range can be called (technical seen) adjusted to one (1) position.....

regards,
    RJ van Melle.

Quote Originally Posted by rmelle View Post
    This watch with cylinder escapement is really the dawn of this type of movement.
    The so called Farmer's ebauche was already gone.
    From the farmer's ebauche facturies evolved state of the art facturies, surviving even till modern times. At this change they still produced their ancient ebauches on wich they grew big.....
    by nickeling the bridges, mainplate and a kind of engravements they gave it still some appearence.
    but it was running on its last pair of feet.
    these are actualy not the worst cylinder escapements.

to give you an animation to understand it:

and a picture:

About ajusted on one (1) position: with crown up running within COSC range can be called (technical seen) adjusted to one (1) position.....

regards,
    RJ van Melle.
    RJ, thanks so much for the info. I must admit however that I got a little lost while reading. Do you have any idea of its age?

Dear,

AbslomRob did a good job on the ID and age!
    can't say it better, in my dutch English HAHAHA

regards,
    RJ van Melle.

Just a comment on the animation, it's been on the web for a number of years and it's incorrect as the teeth of the escape wheel are not going into the inside of the cylinder. Look at the illustration below for a much better explanation of the workings of the cylinder or horizontal escapement.

Thread Information