White Dials, Please!

Thread: White Dials, Please!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

White Dials, Please!

I'm trying to find a white dialed watch that's highly visible, but not too antiseptic.

I've seen white dials on Hamiltons and Longines, but the accompanying gold or silver markers don't always offer the best contrast. Railroad watches are black & white legible, but aesthetically, just a little overspecialized. Early military dials (often cream colored with faded tritium numerals) come close to what I'm looking for, but I'd prefer a watch that isn't showing it's age quite so much.

Ideally, I'd like a white (or off-white) dial with numerals and minute hash marks. I would be happy with stick markers, numerals, or a combination, just so long as they don't disappear in subdued light.

Manual, automatic, or tuning fork movement with a date function. Stainless steel case preferred, but gold can be nice. Any respected brand would be fine. I'm open to any interesting alternatives.

One critical specification is diameter -- 32mm to 36mm. For me, 34mm is the "sweet spot" and I rarely wear anything bigger than 36mm. Smaller diameters is a big reason I stalk vintage watches.

I'd really appreciate suggestions as to what I might hunt for. I've spun through a LOT of listings and haven't found anything like I've described. I'm not sure why, but white dials seem far less common than silver, gold, and black.

White dials is one thing that is really absent from my collection. Lots of black, lots of silver. I'd like to shift the balance with a new addition.

Thanks for the help!

piscator
    Last edited by piscator; December 23rd, 2010 at 05:21.

Re: White Dials, Please!

I think your best bet to find what you want is in an early wristwatch that is really a women's 0 size pendent movement placed in a wristwatch case. The 0 size movement is 30mm so cased they tend to be 34mm. Another possibility at much greater cost would be an IWC. Here's a Vulcain I bought that turned out to have a trashed (uneconomically repairable) movement. I'm having a women's 0 sized movement installed.
    Attached Images Attached Images

How about this one?

Seiko Marinemaster SBDX001
    My Father's Hamilton Khaki Automatic

My Grandfather's Movado Sub Sea Automatic

"That's what character is-It's in the tryin'" Eric Taylor.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Howz about a cheap Accurist like this?

Quite a few Sekondas, and other Russians have clear white dials:

Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects."

Will Rogers (1879 - 1935)

Please don't PM me to ask for a valuation - I won't attempt one.

Thanks so much, those are wonderful watches!

Nsmike, what an intriguing way to create a unique watch! It might be a challenge to get a date complication this way

I've read that pocket watch movements lack the shock protection necessary for wrist use, but maybe you've resolved that issue. It's a neat idea and that Vulcain is very pretty!

Jwather, that Omega is the ultimate, it's... the omega! Your superb Seamaster also points up one of my dilemnas. That pristinely balanced face would be marred by a date window. But for everyday wear, I really like a date function. I've always loved Omegas, but I feel the brand's horological attraction has suffered a bit from advertising overexposure.

An aside: It's got to say something about our culture that we once admired the watches worn by great explorers like Hillary, Heyerdahl -- and now lust after watches pitched by movie celebrities. I call it the "disney-fication" of America, but maybe there's a clinical term. I can take pride in a watch that reminds me of South Sea, Himalayan, or Lunar exploration. A watch sported by Tom Cruise? Makes my tummy sick

Silvertouran, I like that Accurist a lot! At whatever price, that's an attractive watch. I will definitely search one out!

Marrick, likewise your Secondas! Very nice. I've seen pix of pilot and diver styles, but otherwise don't know anything about Russian watches. Maybe I can find a Seconda with a date function.

Again thanks for the suggestions!
    Last edited by piscator; December 23rd, 2010 at 16:55.

I find my G-P bumper to be easy to read and classy looking.

my 68' omega is easy to read :)

How about the dressy Omega Schumacher?

Last edited by artb; December 26th, 2010 at 12:29.

No date but very white and very easy to read Saxon of the GDR

Kev

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information