3K views 20 replies 8 participants last post by  Guzza 
#1 ·
Analog watch Watch Watch accessory Fashion accessory Yellow

Pogue ( thanks cannop )

Watch Analog watch Watch accessory Fashion accessory Product

Sears Roebuck Tradition

I now they don't have the same dial!
They don't have the same movement.
Still the casing, bezel, dial hands and markers are very similar...

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
All were fairly common ini the early 1970s ;-) I don't think they borrowed from each other.

Are you sure the bezel on the "Tradition"-chronograph is original? It looks a bit off-centre so may be it has been replaced?

Regards
Tomcat

#3 · (Edited)
You are right. It is a bit off.
Maybe it was removed for cleaning/buffing and reinstalled incorrectly.
I bought it like that.
But i have seen 3 copies of this Tradition watches...all had the same bezel. At least with that color dial.
I saw one with a different color dial and the bezel was a bit different.

Still the casing and many other features are very similar.
By the way, the Tradition has a Valjoux 7750.

#5 · (Edited)
The cushion case, colored bezel and stick hands were found on many watches from the 1970's. For example I have an Omega Seamaster and Enicar Sherpa Guide that share some features found on your watches. Note there are many styling differences. So I think both watch companies were just following then current watch fashion. Just as watch designers do today.

#6 ·
Note that this is not a simple cushion case, nor is it simply a colored bezel. The red part of the tachymeter allows to time events that last up to 75 seconds (where an ordinary tachymeter only measures up to 60 seconds). I agree that all watch companies follow fashion and copy from each other. However a fashion has to start somewhere, somebody has to be the first before others can follow. In this case Seiko was the first, both for this particular case style and the nice tachymeter.

#15 ·
That's nice, I didn't know that. I do remember in Germany one often refers to this Breitling as a 'Spiegelei' (fried egg):

Watch Analog watch Watch accessory Fashion accessory Strap

So after the Omega Connie pie-pan, there also exists the Omega Connie fried egg.

As colourful and playful these nicknames may be, I don't find them very helpful, as I don't see the pie-pan nor the fried egg. Must be my lack of imagination :think:

#17 ·
Could it be a case of a commercial arrangement between Sears and Seiko? Other notable companies built watches for Sears, Heuer for instance. Also, its not the first time that Seiko Allowed their cases to be used by another brand. Enicar used the Monaco case.

Watch Analog watch Watch accessory Fashion accessory Jewellery

#20 · (Edited)
Could it be a case of a commercial arrangement between Sears and Seiko? Other notable companies built watches for Sears, Heuer for instance. Also, its not the first time that Seiko Allowed their cases to be used by another brand. Enicar used the Monaco case.
Good point about the Enicar Mantagraph, for which Seiko supplied movements and case design to Enicar. Seiko must have done the same for Sears Roebuck Tradition, only here Seiko only supplied case and dial design, not the movement.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.