Who makes Solar watches and La rose

Thread: Who makes Solar watches and La rose

Question Who makes Solar watches and La rose

Hey I started collecting watches a year ago and love going to shops and searching through a couple or in some cases boxes of watches for mechanical pieces. I recently came across a "La Rose De Luxe super automatic 25 jewel" with the "unbreakable main spring". I care very little for the value of the piece but the history is what I love.

I as well recently found a "Solar shock resistant" self winding. This one is causing me some special kind of frustration because the name Solar is always giving me solar powered answers. I am missing the stem but otherwise it is in remarkable condition. Any help on the origins of the watches would be much appreciated.

Re: Who makes Solar watches and La rose

If you like the history, go to the Links and Articles subsection of this forum, there are lots of resources.

Mod. Russian, China Mech. Chascomm's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by watch origins View Post
    Hey I started collecting watches a year ago and love going to shops and searching through a couple or in some cases boxes of watches for mechanical pieces. I recently came across a "La Rose De Luxe super automatic 25 jewel" with the "unbreakable main spring". I care very little for the value of the piece but the history is what I love.

I as well recently found a "Solar shock resistant" self winding. This one is causing me some special kind of frustration because the name Solar is always giving me solar powered answers. I am missing the stem but otherwise it is in remarkable condition. Any help on the origins of the watches would be much appreciated.
    Solar was a brand that the Canadian distributer of Rolex used for their products back in the 1950s. Any chance of a photo? I reckon you've landed a vintage Rolex. A replacement stem should not be a problem for most watch repairers.
    Chascomm
    Moderator, Russian Watches & Chinese Mechanical Watches Forums
    (no, I am not going to list all my watches here)

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Omega Forum Moderator emmanuelgoldstein's Avatar

A variation of the Canadian Oysters were Rolex models sold by Canadian department store Eaton's. The watches were renamed, as Solar Aqua’s or King of Wing’s and the name Rolex or Oyster were never visible on the watch dials. However, you can find many Solar watches that had absolutely no connection to Rolex. La Rose is now defunct but other than that I have no information them.
    “Education is the inculcation of the incomprehensible into the indifferent by the incompetent”

-- John Maynard Keynes

Fewer than 3% of the Solar brand watches were Rolex. The giveaway is usually the oyster case. That said, many contain very good movts by JeamBrun, ST, and A.Schild, up to 30 jewels. The only ones to ever cross my path that were Rolex were fairly obvious, and the sellers knew what they were. They were easily as much or more than vintage Tudor Oysters.

Quote Originally Posted by Outta Time View Post
    Fewer than 3% of the Solar brand watches were Rolex. The giveaway is usually the oyster case. That said, many contain very good movts by JeamBrun, ST, and A.Schild, up to 30 jewels. The only ones to ever cross my path that were Rolex were fairly obvious, and the sellers knew what they were. They were easily as much or more than vintage Tudor Oysters.
    I moved my post. sorry.

Take Care,

Jim. . .
    Last edited by kayaker; May 16th, 2011 at 23:27.

Thread Information