Why do you collect vintage watches?
Like Tree46Likes

Thread: Why do you collect vintage watches?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Hi everyone, I am new to collecting vintage watches and new to WUS.

I am curious why you collect vintage watches? Is it the classic style? The history of specific period, event, or brand? The potential for investment? ad infinitum...

Personally, I like the styles and the "soul" of a vintage piece.

I have a lot to learn and that's why I am here. Thank you.

Re: Why do you collect vintage watches?

How many times before have we talked about that... I've stopped counting.

The "soul" that a vintage watch has is definitely a part of why I collect them. They're pretty much timeless, and a piece with patina on it has these warm looks to it. It's a bit like with vinyl LPs. Yeah, you can listen to "Dark Side of the Moon" on your car stereo, but that faint, warm humming sound you get from playing the LP on the turntable is just priceless. And that's what it's like with vintage watches, they just have that inexplicable, warm vibe to them.

Investment? Well, not necessarily. Only a few vintage watches tend to gain enough value over time to be considered investments.

As to money, it's also a part of it. You can get plenty of good watches for just a fraction of the price of a new watch... And even if one can just walk into a watch shop and spend whole lotta cash, what's the skill in that? Everything's within your reach, and all it takes is a lot of cash. No, that's just boring. A limited budget combined with the necessity of doing your research, gradually increasing the watch identification skills and training yourself in noticing the smallest of details is quite a challenge, but where there's no challenge, there's no fun. And if there's no fun, that I can't abide.

Also, saving cash for the Holy Grail is way more boring than seeking the Holy Grail.

As to the history of a period, a brand or event... Well, some collect brand-wise, some period-wise, some event-wise (this usually means focusing on military watches). I have a different approach- as much as I prefer some brands way above the other ones, my collecting scope is defined by two criteria:
    1. "Whatever I fancy..."
    2. "...and I can get it at a bargain".
    Giotime, Wibbs, typ73 and 4 others like this.
    I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it.
    Edgar Allan Poe

If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.
    George Orwell

(...)but that's what mankind is like: they only prize what they no longer possess.
    Erich Maria Remarque

For any inquiries regarding vintage Doxa watches, please read the highlighted text in my vintage Doxa thread. Sorry, but I will not respond to PMs on the matter.

Quality to price ratio is high.
    I like the vintage styles.
    Probably a slim chance I'll run into someone else wearing the same thing.
    Wibbs, mkws and JOSE G like this.
    --Charlie

-Citizen -Seiko -Heuer -Steinhart -Bulova -TagHeuer

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Most of the watches I collect tell something about the significance of time throughout the human journey....And they look cool!!
    Wibbs, mkws, Sdasurrey and 1 others like this.
    So many watches.....so little time.....

Quality to price, vintage designs are timeless, the thrill of hunting an amazing deal. = addiction.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    JOSE G likes this.

I like technology that was once considered cutting edge that's now obsolete.

Plus they're prettier.

Edit: Hopefully this fixes the picture monster.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Last edited by odd_and_vintage_fan; February 27th, 2016 at 15:01.
    Wibbs and JOSE G like this.

I considered "collecting women" but as it turns out watches are much cheaper and don't talk your ear off!!!
    typ73, mkws, Molliedooker and 3 others like this.
    https://mb.nawcc.org/threads/westfield-watch-company.109201/

A friend is truly a prize indeed, others not so much. So if I lead you believe you're in the latter, please read........
    http://markmanson.net/internet

Finding a couple pocket watches and wristwatches in my late dad's stuff gave me the bug. I find them fascinating. I can do minor repairs on wristwatches and have since (1yr ago when my dad passed) serviced and replaced a mainspring in a pocket watch now. I also love the hunt of finding them in junk shops and the likes. I'm hoping to get where I can tear the wristwatches down and service them also. They are quite small for my eyes but I'll get there.
    JOSE G likes this.
    Bobby - My original music! Check me out! Thanks!
    https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...11CC8CC6093D80

Quote Originally Posted by simpletreasures View Post
    I considered "collecting women" but as it turns out watches are much cheaper and don't talk your ear off!!!
    Wow - what a 'visual' simpletreasures provided for those of us on here with a high number of watches - I actually stopped counting, but it's around 40'ish.

So visualising living with 40 woman is 'interesting' to say the least !

As mkws said, those of us doing this for a while (and most on here are more experienced than I am, having been collecting only 2-3 years) ....see this question often: 'why do we so this'....'why do we collect vintage watches' ...so your question is a good one that appears often here...

Some have already commented, but here's my '2p' - historical aesthetics is at the top of the list for me as modern watches just don't have that certain 'context' that vintage watches have.

IMHO - When you don't gravitate toward vintage, watch purchases are mostly focused on the functionality of telling time or your timing as event etc. Or making some kind of 'statement' - personally I wasn't 'into watches' until very recently. When I lived in NYC I purchased $25 knockoffs and when they died threw them out and started again...

But when I started down the vintage road, watches provided a kind of direct 'pleasure' to me because of the historical aesthetics. An 85 year old watch that works in telling time, when you see it on your wrist you can just marvel at something from a different era with a style and aesthetic not usually found today.

Plus once you are addicted, and you keep purchasing and you don't delete the eBay or chrono24 apps from your phone you keep looking and searching for these 'historical aesthetics' and you ultimately can wear a different watch every day !

Or a different woman every day ?!! HTH = hard to handle ...

Silurian - You should realise that now that you joined WUS, have posted this question due to your vintage curiosity, that you are in the very early stages of vintage addiction !

Have fun, SDA

Sent from SDA's iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Sdasurrey; February 27th, 2016 at 10:02.
    JOSE G and mkws like this.
    'Survival kit contents check. In them you'll find: one forty-five caliber automatic; two boxes of ammunition; four days' concentrated emergency rations; one drug issue containing antibiotics, morphine, vitamin pills, pep pills, sleeping pills, tranquilizer pills; one miniature combination Russian phrase book and Bible; one hundred dollars in rubles; one hundred dollars in gold; nine packs of chewing gum; one issue of prophylactics; three lipsticks; three pair of nylon stockings. Shoot, a fella' could have a pretty good weekend in Vegas with all that stuff.' -- Slim Pickens as Major T.J. 'King' Kong, Dr. Strangelove 1964

__________________________________________________ __________
    My 'Show-Piece' - Zenith El Primero 'Red' Captain Ltd Edition #255/500
    My 'Grails' - 1920s & 1930s 18ct Gold Eberhard Monopusher chronos - with a Valjioux 65 movements
    My 'Fav' 1917 Silver Moser Trench
    Various vintage watches - Trench-style, Art Deco & 20s-50s chronographs - especially Eberhard & Longines

Wow - what a 'visual' simpletreasures provided for those of us on here with a high number of watches - I actually stopped counting, but it's around 40'ish.

So visualising living with 40 woman is 'interesting' to say the least !
    I've got a shade under 1,000. See what I mean?????????
    Sdasurrey and 1955mercury like this.
    https://mb.nawcc.org/threads/westfield-watch-company.109201/

A friend is truly a prize indeed, others not so much. So if I lead you believe you're in the latter, please read........
    http://markmanson.net/internet

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information